Why become a member? ×

sonar/lame or any free MP3 encoders

christofloffer

right, so i had a major system error on my computer and had to do a system restore. needless to say it has played havoc with many things, but thankfully my recordings were unaffected. i did however have to reinstall sonar LE and the drivers for my Boss pedal. so i got on to recording again and now it seems that sonar doesnt remember the Lame MP3 encoder. it used to work perfectly and was my go to thing but i cant get it to configure it now. the program is definitely there and in the same folder it was before, but when i fill the box in to configure it into sonar i click save and it just deletes the name from the friendly name box and doesnt do anything. i am rather stuck now and despite following various guides on getting the two programs to speak to each other i just get the same issue. i tried asking on the cakewalk forums but i just got ignored.

if nobody knows how to get around that little monstrosity is there an easy to use and free mp3 encoder around that isnt just a demo of something which runs out almost immediately? i tried a couple before but they were complicated to use and always demo versions. i uploaded this months comp entry as wav so its all good for that, but i tried to send a few tracks to a friend in an email and it said that even one was too big. i used to send several at a time so i guess mp3 is a smaller file size (obviously not very clued up on technical ins and outs here).

help is much appreciated as always.

I've used CDex for years, but I'm not sure if it integrates into other music software as I've only ever used it as a standalone MP3 encoder to encode previously saved WAV files.

Some email systems don't seem to like very large attachments and I've hit a 10MB limit a few times. Compression is one answer but an alternative is to use dropbox. I've used it to successfully send large music and very large video files.

Although I don't use it, I believe Reaper has an MP3 encoder.
No limits or restrictions and has a fully fledged DAW attached to it (free to use as demo).
More than likely a smaller download than most MP3/Audio converters.
:D Just saying.

[size=5]http://www.reaper.fm/[/size]

i couldnt get CDex to work, i either found downloads that were loaded with viruses or it just failed to install. which is a pity as it looked useful so i may keep messing and try to find what the issue is with installing.
i have seen dropbox things before, never used it though. i will have a look into that.

as for using another DAW, i had a cursory glance at reaper but i get really annoyed with demo versions. its bad enough with the sonar thing and figuring ways around what is usable or not. it takes me a long time to learn how to use them so i am reluctant to throw another one into the mix. it did however make me think about working along the same line. i used to use audacity for years and i rather liked it for its simplicity. so i found it out and just transferred a WAV file from sonar and exported it as MP3 from audacity and it works perfectly. plus i dont have to learn how to do anything as i am already comfortable with how it works. so that is the way i will do it from now on, or until i find a better thing.
its also a little bit of a last chance to tweak the tune as a whole using the effects in audacity. there seem to be more in there that i can use as the sonar ones appear in the lists but dont seem to be usable.

its a pity i cant warrant the cost of a full decent DAW but being as it doesnt earn me anything i am compelled to spend money on other more pressing matters. maybe soon enough i can get myself set up better though.

thanks for the input guys. :)

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1462966985' post='3047336']
as for using another DAW, i had a cursory glance at reaper but i get really annoyed with demo versions. its bad enough with the sonar thing and figuring ways around what is usable or not.
[/quote]

Reaper offers a 'demo licence' (i.e. free for 60 days) but it is fully functional and not limited in any way as far as I know. They state on their website "[i]There is only one version of REAPER. The license price depends on how you use it.[/i]", i.e. for personal or commercial use. At £60 for personal use it seems like a bargain to me.