Why become a member? ×

Sore fingers. Why now?

NoRhino

I've been playing for about 35 years. Constantly 'cos I do it for a living and it still happens to me occasionally. I've no idea why. Sometimes I even get blisters again, although my fingertips are like leather. As you say, no need to worry, but it is odd though, isn't it?

Not wishing to worry you - but my fingertips have become more & more sensitive especially to heat since I've been Diabetic, worth getting your blood glucose levels checked! It does funny thing to you :rolleyes:

Cheerz, John

I never had much problem with my fretting fingertips until a heavy bout of practice late last year. Now the tip of my second finger goes through a cycle of normal > callus > wears away leaving cracked raw skin > heal > normal. I have found the best way to treat this is with surgical spirit, as it causes calluses to form more quickly. Odd that it's just the one finger - if for example it was sensitivity to chrome, that should affect them all.

Edited by JapanAxe

I seem to go through phases with mine. The calloused skin seems to dry up then peel off to the side, leaving fresh, raw feeling skin which takes a few days to toughen up again. Rinse and repeat. YMMV.

Should add that this is just with my plucking hand, never get any grief from my fretting hand for whatever reason.

Edited by Ziphoblat

Thanks for the suggestions. I told the drummer who said his hands were sore too. He blamed the heat.
It's definitely not an allegic reation to new strings ha ha.
My blood results are fine.
I am in the definitely ageing bracket.
Gigging tomorrow. Roll on.
Still smarting as I write this.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1462660119' post='3044794']
change to flats ;)
[/quote]
Not this!
I've recently changed to flats and find there is more friction, not less.
I really don't think that would help.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1462638925' post='3044611']
Could be the humidity.
[/quote]

This. I've got a gig on Friday but am away with work for a few days so no practice. My fingers have gone as soft as a very soft thing with this warm weather. Will be resorting to surgical spirit and sticking some picks in my pocket!

After rehearsal last night I had slightly sore fingers for the first time in ages (I've toughened up and learned to play softer!)... mostly down to temps and partly down t the PA being a bit too loud so the guitars were loud so I was hammering the strings a bit more.

yes.....from personal experience....the various reasons could be as follows:

You practice on dead strings. New strings on the gig = slight tension change = have to pluck a nats cock harder but this is all it takes to make em sore.
You get a bit of buzz so you raise the action just a bit which = tension change = as above.
You are really nervous so you end up as above.
The amature idiots you play with have decided to collectivley and individually turn up so...as above.
And then there is......
Its cold, your fingers are cold and its at the beginning of a gig so you, with out noticing, change the attack with your plucking hand.
Its really hot, so you are sweating, your hands are wet and you are in effect getting a rope burn effect which is making the finger tips soft, its the 4-5th gig on the trot, which in turn is going to be a major problem ala Flea from the Chillies " has any one got some super glue?"
You changed the tension on the neck to suit your plucking hand but now its a tad too low on your fretting hand so now your left hand fingers are getting grief.
You think because you "like completely totally nailed it" last gig there is no need to pick up your bass from this point till the next time and so the tips have gone a bit soft.
Pre gig substance abuse.
Practicing something difficult for 8 hours a day every day till you get it right a week later.

Maybe its just me but if you are also guilty of any of the above it might help explain. :)

Watched a VID on Geezer Butler and he still gets blisters during tours. He mentioned that when rehearsing he is fine but playing live he tends to play harder and has since changed to coated strings to help prevent blisters.
Dave