Why become a member? ×

NGD : And what an odd guitar it is

Cameronj279

So a while back I had the intention of learning guitar and bought an Ibanez s470 guitar but a few issues with my health and the fact I didn't really enjoy playing that guitar for some reason stopped me from really going anywhere with it.

As my health has picked up recently amongst other things (probation passed at work being the main one) I decided I would treat myself to a guitar that I would actually want to play. So here I am with a lovely guitar.

I realised that one of the main reasons I couldn't get on with the Ibanez was the fact that most of the music I listen to use extended range guitars so having a 6 string meant I couldn't really play a lot of what I would like to.

I decided I would make life hard for myself and learn guitar on an 8 string fan fretted guitar with a bizarre (but VERY comfortable) neck profile.

Enough of me speaking. Here's the guitar - Strandberg Boden OS 8

So far I'm actually enjoying playing music on my own again and in the few days I've owned it I've put a fair few hours into it and already starting to see improvements.

For the record. I'm learning how to play the whole instrument and not just the lower two strings!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1462603085' post='3044256']
Despite me being a bit of a traditionalist where guitars are concerned, I have to say that that's really nice!

Expensive? Spill the beans!
[/quote]

It wasn't a budget guitar by any means.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1462620774' post='3044430']
It gets even more bonkers when you see the neck profile...it's tricky to photograph though.

[/quote] :blink:

Awesome! I will be very interested in their bass when it is available!

The neck is basically completely flat at the place where you anchor your thumb all the way up, isn't it? And that flatness rotates as you go down the neck? Crazy concept, Id like to try it.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462642708' post='3044646']
Awesome! I will be very interested in their bass when it is available!

The neck is basically completely flat at the place where you anchor your thumb all the way up, isn't it? And that flatness rotates as you go down the neck? Crazy concept, Id like to try it.
[/quote]

Spot on Kev. You can tell the neck is different from normal but when you're playing it, it feels natural.

I also find it easier to play than any 6 string guitar I've played. I guess the longer scale (28" on the F#) and thicker neck is just more what I'm already used to.

Ah, a Boden! I own a standard 8 (well, if you call a 28.675 scale standard!), and also tried out a couple of fan-fretted guitars a few years ago. If I was still playing 7s I'd definitely be looking into a FF.

As for the Endurneck I think that I'd like to try before buying.

Still, I do like the look of their 6ers and a bass would also be worth checking out.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1463147975' post='3049065']
Ah, a Boden! I own a standard 8 (well, if you call a 28.675 scale standard!), and also tried out a couple of fan-fretted guitars a few years ago. If I was still playing 7s I'd definitely be looking into a FF.

As for the Endurneck I think that I'd like to try before buying.

Still, I do like the look of their 6ers and a bass would also be worth checking out.
[/quote]

I found the endurneck on the 6 strings made the neck seem way too small for my hands. I'm sure I would have got used to it but the 8 string neck is mega comfortable on the left hand!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1463165884' post='3049263']
I found the endurneck on the 6 strings made the neck seem way too small for my hands. I'm sure I would have got used to it but the 8 string neck is mega comfortable on the left hand!
[/quote]

For a 6 I'd definitely look at a standard carve. I don't really play "thumb on the back of the neck" so am unsure whether Endurneck would work for me!