Why become a member? ×

NGD - Fender Stratocaster 1954 Reissue (MIJ)

Machines

My Dad is somewhat of a Stratoholic and has 4 US Strats and 4 Jap. The Japs are all for sale in a local store but not getting anywhere (prices a bit high in my opinion). There are 2 mid 80s Contemporary Series (1 x Fiesta red, 1 x sunburst) with Schaller locking tremolos, and also a standard Sunburst with 2 x P90 pickups (modded). There's also a more traditional mid-90s 1957 reissue (2 tone sunburst, maple neck).

I've persuaded him he won't miss the 57 RI and to give it to me (more of a long term loan, i'd give it back if I didn't want it anymore). I've had a few guitars over time but never really felt any affinity with them to spend a lot of time learning, this one I hope will inspire me to actually learn to play properly.

[attachment=218623:S1.png]

[attachment=218624:S2.png]

Edited by Machines

I had one of these - exactly this model - for a number of years. An excellent guitar it was too. I'm a big fan of Japanese Fenders from the '90s; pretty much as good as the American instruments of the period for a lot less money (I had a '72 RI Tele that was my main teaching instrument for years - boy I loved that guitar!). You won't go far wrong with that.

As coincidence would have it I eventually gave mine away to my nephew in the (probably forlorn) hope that it would encourage him to take the instrument up again. I do occasionally wonder if it was the right thing to do, but it is what it is so no point worrying about it.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1462520775' post='3043666']
I've just done more research, this is in fact a 54RI not a 57RI according to [url="http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/50s.htm."]http://freespace.vir...ckman4/50s.htm.[/url]
[/quote]

Well it don't 'arf look like the one I used to have! :o

(Link seems to be dead BTW. I assume that it would have highlighted the differences between them. :D )

New scratchplate looks good. My '57 RI had a single ply white jobby that frankly looked cheap & nasty but was apparently authentic. I assume it would be the same with the '54...?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1462528691' post='3043756']
I may get get an annodized gold pickguard for it... even more lush:

[/quote]

Just had another look at this...

Is that actually a new scratchplate; or just the original in a slightly funny light that makes it look anodised?

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1462701196' post='3044942']
Just had another look at this...

Is that actually a new scratchplate; or just the original in a slightly funny light that makes it look anodised?
[/quote]

It's not my Strat - that's just a similar one on Google with a gold pickguard.

Edited by Machines

Lovely guitars - my first ever electric was a E series MIJ 1957 reissue Strat, in some strange metallic aqua blue (turned out to be quite rare colour apparently).

It was great tho. Lovely grain in the maple neck/fingerboard, nice guitar.

I ended up selling it for a 1994 MIJ Strat, which despite the lesser pedigree, was a better individual guitar for my tastes, and which I still have 14 years on. Both cool guitars tho.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1463566159' post='3052328']
I've managed to stop myself gassing over a CAR '57 RI. There's something about the red, white and maple fingerboard that makes me go giddy!! :gas:
[/quote]

Never fancied CAR. Just doesn't do it for me. No idea why. :huh: Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to wash my mouth out with soap and water...

• 3 months later...

Absolutely awesome loan score from your Dad. I have exact same early 90s ST54 MIJ. Great guitar as good as any USA Strat; but I did find pups were a little anonymous, even tho US Custom Shop. I replaced mine with Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups and now this is my fave guitar. It has funkiest sound on the planet and has a kick too.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1471813077' post='3116125']
Absolutely awesome loan score from your Dad. I have exact same early 90s ST54 MIJ. Great guitar as good as any USA Strat; but I did find pups were a little anonymous, even tho US Custom Shop. I replaced mine with Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups and now this is my fave guitar. It has funkiest sound on the planet and has a kick too.
[/quote]

I agree, his other Strats are generally high spec pickups (Texas Hot Rods or Noiseless etc) so this is a bit weedy in comparison. I'd rather leave this as it is spec wise (as it's a very good exampl eof a period correct instrument) but perhaps just steal something else from him. That SRV Strat of his has been in the case for 6 months...

• 2 weeks later...