Why become a member? ×

Scary Workloads

Have just spent a week learning – but far from mastering – 20 new (to me) songs for audition tonight. Thankfully most are thump-alongs, but there are a couple of trickier ones and I suppose the hardest thing is remembering arrangements, especially because the audio cues I hear on original recordings won't be anything like what I get at audition. Although the set list was sent a week ago my rehearsal time is governed by work; mercifully I work from home, but all in I'm guessing I've been able to devote about 10 hours to it.

So different from the old band where our typical introduction of ONE new song gave each of us about a month before we first rehearsed it together.

20 in one week is quite a stretch. Anyone else had a similar monster task and how much fear factor came into play?

20 songs for an audition sounds rediculous. IMO a band is trying to assess whether you can play and have the right chops for them, and they can suss that out in a matter of 3 or 4 songs.

Maybe when they landed you with the 20 tracks, it would have been wise to tell them you have a life outside of music that has to be tended to, and 3 or 4 would have been more realistic, given the time restraints in your life

Edited by fleabag

If you can handle it, then not a problem really :)

I must say though that we usually allow 2 rehearsals for a simple track and 4 rehearsals for a tricky one. Lazy or what ? :blink:

Edited by fleabag

When I auditioned for my current band they gave me three songs to learn (nothing too taxing). I had a look on their Facebook page where they listed their whole set, so I learnt a few of them too, maybe 12 or 15 in total. I got the gig so I must have done something right. Our first gig was just a month later and I had to learn a 32 song set... I managed it (just), but I did have to simplify some of the basslines to get by. I still shudder at the thought of it!

I did similar when I joined a punk covers band. I used to go to see them gig a fair bit, and already knew them, so when I got the audition I went prepared. They asked me to learn about 6 songs, so I did, but as I knew their set, and already knew how to play most of it, after said 6 songs they said what shall we do now, I just kept naming song after song of their set. It worked, I got the gig. Certainly helped me already knowing the songs though, not sure I`d have been quite so successful if their whole set had been unknown to me.

I once dep'ed for a band at a music festival with 4 days notice - backing a "name" keyboard player.

That was fun, especially when we ended up playing a load of songs that were not on the list, and not many of those that were (that I had spent 4 days panicking to learn!).

I had to learn 15 songs in a week a month ago for a dep gig. It was great fun and a good excuse to get my bass room sorted in my new house :D
As soon as that gig was finished I had to do a similar thing for another band the following week but only 5 songs and two days.
On top of my day job, where I'm out of the house for about 11 hours of the day, and juggling looking after my son on some days it was hard work but damn good fun :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1462604603' post='3044264']
Do you really expect to get paid to learn songs for an audition ??
[/quote]

I expect Basschat will shortly be receiving an invoice for all of Blue's posts. Only bedroom keyboard noodlers type for free.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1462458757' post='3043192']
20 songs for an audition sounds ridiculous. IMO a band is trying to assess whether you can play and have the right chops for them, and they can suss that out in a matter of 3 or 4 songs.

Maybe when they landed you with the 20 tracks, it would have been wise to tell them you have a life outside of music that has to be tended to, and 3 or 4 would have been more realistic, given the time restraints in your life.
[/quote]

Plus one to this - and for my last audition I was expected to learn three numbers. However I noticed there was a YouTube video of a gig by the band in question, so having time available I learned twelve or thirteen of their songs. I'm pretty sure that knowing these helped me to get the gig, but I'm equally sure that if I had played them badly I still wouldn't have got the gig.

I also got on well with them on a personal level which is just as important, if not more so, but that's probably for another thread.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1462604603' post='3044264']

Do you really expect to get paid to learn songs for an audition ??
[/quote]

For a typical 3-4 song audition, of course not.

For a 20 song audition,yes.

The band would have to be paying a lot of money for me to make an exception.

Blue

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1462607346' post='3044280']

I expect Basschat will shortly be receiving an invoice for all of Blue's posts. Only bedroom keyboard noodlers type for free.
[/quote]

Yes, I have an agenda. Advocating that there is nothing wrong with playing for money.

It's not a bad thing.

Blue

There are nuances between 'playing for money', '[i]only [/i]playing for money' and 'playing [i]only [/i]for money'. To each his/her own, of course; Having a broad outlook is not a Bad Thing, either. Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462620169' post='3044420']
There are nuances between 'playing for money', '[i]only [/i]playing for money' and 'playing [i]only [/i]for money'. To each his/her own, of course; Having a broad outlook is not a Bad Thing, either. Just sayin'.
[/quote]

+1.

1) The music project that was most lucrative for me wasn't particularly enjoyable, but it paid the bills.
2) I think it's better to follow your heart, and if you end up getting paid for it, then that's golden, but
3) If you're relying on music for your living, then 1) is far preferable to nothing at all.

Edited by discreet

Well, I got it but not sure I want it. Not really a case of “Great, you're in” but “Same time next week then”.
I think bands should be a bit more open about where their development is up to. What came across in their ad as a quite experienced project was far closer to startup, and for some songs I appeared better prepared than them. Worse, the range of a new vocalist meant a lot of great stuff in the original set list was gone, replaced with predictable pub band bilge.
On the plus side 1) I've suggested a handful of more contemporary pop/post-punk songs and, encouragingly, the guitarist was actually familiar with some of them, and 2) the rehearsal room is 5 minutes away from home.

Couple of years ago, my mate called me up. The headline band for a big street party had pulled out. Within 8 hours we'd put a whole band together and sorted out 3 hours of music to play. No rehearsal and we all met up with enough time for a quick sound check and play. The organisers were very happy and so were the audience it seems!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462620169' post='3044420']
[/quote]

Playing is always fun,but it's not what I play for.I play for a fee.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1462605553' post='3044271']

I think Blue is inferring that 20 songs just for an audition is a big ask and I have to say, I would agree, especially to learn them in the space of a week.
That would have to be a band that I REALLY wanted to be in and that paid VERY well.
[/quote]

Absolutely, I have never heard of a band that would expect someone to learn 20 songs before they we're actually in the band.

Blue

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1462459470' post='3043200']
If you can handle it, then not a problem really :)

I must say though that we usually allow 2 rehearsals for a simple track and 4 rehearsals for a tricky one. Lazy or what ? :blink:
[/quote]

If a band wanted me to audition 20 songs, I'd take it as a "red flag".

Blue