Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced One10 *REVIEW*

discreet

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1462874389' post='3046415']
Surely you need dampening to stop panels vibrating not bracing. Won't bracing just strengthen the panels, so they can be thinner with the same strength?
[/quote]

I guess the braces act as dampeners in making the areas of unsupported panel smaller and less likely to vibrate as a result.

I know that Acme cabs use a bracing system that pushes the sides out slightly, something that the old plane builders used to stop the panels on their aircraft vibrating to pieces.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1462870697' post='3046367']
I have what might be deemed a stupid question .... if I'm correct the BF uniqueness comes from a cone with a high excursion, i.e. movement on the z-axis or in & out to most of us. Is it possible playing at higher volume that these cabs will move? In my mind a light box & speaker violently moving back & forwards shifting air conjures up all sorts of images of BF cabs roaming the stage like demented Daleks :)
[/quote]

I have gigged my One10 and it doesn't move. It doesn't even vibrate that much. My MB200 was placed gently on top of my One10 and it didn't move a millimetre. The MB200 weighs less than 1kg. This cab does NOT go walkies!*

*Nor do Daleks, come to think of it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1462874389' post='3046415']
Surely you need dampening to stop panels vibrating not bracing.
Won't bracing just strengthen the panels, so they can be thinner with the same strength?
[/quote]

Barefaced bracing is part of the structure. The cabs are also well-damped.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1462870697' post='3046367']
I have what might be deemed a stupid question .... if I'm correct the BF uniqueness comes from a cone with a high excursion, i.e. movement on the z-axis or in & out to most of us. Is it possible playing at higher volume that these cabs will move? In my mind a light box & speaker violently moving back & forwards shifting air conjures up all sorts of images of BF cabs roaming the stage like demented Daleks :)
[/quote]

Lovin' the demeted Daleks vision :lol:

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1462865789' post='3046288']
Does anyone have any experience as to how these compare to EBS Neo 110 Cabs?
[/quote]

I've not heard an EBS Neo 110, but it may not be particularly useful to compare a One10 with any other 110. The 10CR250 driver in the One10 moves a lot of air, allegedly - 'basically like a good 15" or 2X10" in that respect' - according to the blurb. I wouldn't know about that, but the LOUD sounds very nice and is definitely kept inside this little box somewhere, I can tell you that much. ;)

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/one10.htm"]http://barefacedbass...range/one10.htm[/url]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1462901038' post='3046841']
Outstanding leadinge
[/quote]

I thank 'ee, Captain. :yarr:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462741524' post='3045428']
Thats good to hear. You still get the GK growl and punch? I was concerned about the more vintage style colouring of these cabs making it less suitable for modern rock tones.
[/quote]

The growl and punch are very much there. No flabbiness with this cab. Don't know about modern rock tones, we play mainly pub rock/new wave type material. So think Norman Watt-Roy (to whom I've been frequently compared as in "He's nowhere near as good as Norman Watt-Roy, is he?") or the Rumour etc. All needing plenty of punch. It's not that coloured, I tried using it as a keyboard cab with a Nord Electro and it sounded fine for organ and piano. Happy to gig with it in that context.

Apologies to Discreet for bringing this up, and any resulting existential angst, but we A/B'd the One 10 with a G-K MB 200 and an MB Fusion 500 the other night. The 200 was good but IMO (and that of all assembled, well not quite, we didn't ask the drummer, obviously) the Fusion 500 was in a different class. Of course, the 200 is far cuter.

[quote name='tonewheels' timestamp='1462912667' post='3046967']
Apologies to Discreet for bringing this up, and any resulting existential angst, but we A/B'd the One 10 with a G-K MB 200 and an MB Fusion 500 the other night. The 200 was good but IMO (and that of all assembled, well not quite, we didn't ask the drummer, obviously) the Fusion 500 was in a different class. Of course, the 200 is far cuter.
[/quote]

The G-K MB500 Fusion is in my opinion one of the best - if not THE best - lightweight Class D amps available and is the one amp I regret selling (apart from a hand-wired 1974 [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Burman MPA Pre and Burman SL100 Powerpak with original Mullard valves - but it was too heavy) and there is definitely another Fusion in my future. However as long as I remain in my current band the MB200 will sustain me until that day comes, when it will be demoted to back-up amp or more probably sold (as it will have become expendable) to help fund that week's GAS...[/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1462878830' post='3046477']
I was not suggesting that the BF One10 would be moving at all.

The DOD was making the cone move in truly alarming ways.
[/quote]

If you can see the cone moving (rather than just see it go blurry) then youve probably got excessive subsonics which are wasting a lot of amp and speaker headroom without contributing much to the sound. Your eyes and ears are more or less mutually exclusive in the frequencies of movement they can resolve. Hence any movement you can see probably isnt producing useful sound.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1462878830' post='3046477']
I was not suggesting that the BF One10 would be moving at all.

The DOD was making the cone move in truly alarming ways.
[/quote]

A high pass filter may be a good thing to use then. I use an SFX Thumpinator but there are others, some adjustable (mine is fixed). They work subtly most times, but when you really need them they're great to have. They generally reduce a LOT the amount of cone movement that you see, yet the sound you hear is unchanged, or sometimes I even feel it sounds a bit tighter and 'better;' (subjective, I know)... and no, you don't get a weaker low end. I noticed that I end up pushing my amp less when I have the HPF in the chain, without reducing volume.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1462955409' post='3047159']
I would love to hear my TC BH550 through a One10. I think I might actually die from it though.
[/quote]
Come to the Herts Bass Bash, with your amp and try mine out.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462902405' post='3046854']
I've not heard an EBS Neo 110, but it may not be particularly useful to compare a One10 with any other 110. The 10CR250 driver in the One10 moves a lot of air, allegedly - 'basically like a good 15" or 2X10" in that respect' - according to the blurb. I wouldn't know about that, but the LOUD sounds very nice and is definitely kept inside this little box somewhere, I can tell you that much. ;)

[/quote]

Thanks - my thinking was it would be useful to describe the difference - given they are both 110 cabs.
Maybe it would be easier to say, if we say the EBS NEO 110 is a good 110 cab, what does the BFOne 10 offer over and above a good 110 cab, what does the BFOne 10 loose over a good 110 cab?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462532623' post='3043800']
Here we go then - custom OBBM 32cm angled-Speakon to angled-Speakon cable. A normal 1m cable with straight Speakons is too long and too unwieldy - and with this one I can have the rig closer to a wall on a tight stage if necessary. Kudos to Dave (obbm), who was just on his way out the door for a 2-week holiday when I enquired about it yesterday. He made the cable and posted it before leaving. I got it this morning. That's what you call customer service... :)

[/quote]Nice cable but with that short distance it need not be that thick,

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1462957452' post='3047186']

If you can see the cone moving (rather than just see it go blurry) then youve probably got excessive subsonics which are wasting a lot of amp and speaker headroom without contributing much to the sound. Your eyes and ears are more or less mutually exclusive in the frequencies of movement they can resolve. Hence any movement you can see probably isnt producing useful sound.
[/quote]Truer words have been spoken but not many!

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1463085632' post='3048526']
Thanks - my thinking was it would be useful to describe the difference - given they are both 110 cabs.
Maybe it would be easier to say, if we say the EBS NEO 110 is a good 110 cab, what does the BFOne 10 offer over and above a good 110 cab, what does the BFOne 10 loose over a good 110 cab?
[/quote]

You're thinking that the One10 is going to sound like a 110 cab. The point I was trying to make is that to compare it with any existing 110 cab is fairly meaningless. :) Having said that, I haven't heard all of them, of course.

Edited by discreet