Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced One10 *REVIEW*

discreet

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1462809578' post='3045833']
To say that one or two of these cabs will be enough for ANY situation could be slightly misleading..I've certainly done plenty of gigs where a big rig was needed , especially big outdoor stages.
In my opinion of course.
[/quote]

There had to be 1 didn't there. Phur! Anyone knows you need 3 to play the O2! :ph34r:

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1462809578' post='3045833']
To say that one or two of these cabs will be enough for ANY situation could be slightly misleading..I've certainly done plenty of gigs where a big rig was needed , especially big outdoor stages.
In my opinion of course.
[/quote]

I actually said 'wouldn't need more than two cabs,' but in any case I wasn't deliberately trying to mislead. I have tried hard to make my review as factual and fair as possible (knowing I'd get picked up on every little detail), but obviously there's a case for not proof-reading your own writing. It was also a prediction, not an absolute statement.

Clearly I like this cab, but some people won't as their needs will differ. Other cab manufacturers' products are also available and I'm sure some of them are really great. I've used a lot of gear, but I haven't tried it all. Yet.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462811840' post='3045874']

You were thinking about it anyway though, right..? :D
[/quote]

I've been tempted for a while, but this thread and a few emails back and forth with Alex this afternoon and I decided to give them a whirl.

I've been unsure about barefaced cabs in the past due to a gen1 setup I tried a while back, but those had a very different driver, producing a very different tone to these and this looks like such a great portable solution I can't afford not to give it a fair go.

When you travel to most of your gigs / sessions on public transport; flexibility, size and weight are key. I'm also confident these can deliver a tone I can use :)

I will add my experiences here in a few weeks :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462815612' post='3045936']
When you travel to most of your gigs / sessions on public transport; flexibility, size and weight are key.
[/quote]

This must be the ultimate public-transport cab. Good luck, I sincerely hope it works out for you. :)

Edited by discreet

I have serial numbers 0057 and 0096 (I think, I'm at work), and power them with a GK MB800 or a GK MB200. I have played an outdoor gig to 2000 people and the sound guy asked me to turn down so he could put me in the front of house mix! Bwahahahaha! I love it! In fact, it's all so good I might sell the MB800, as I also have a CAE line booster pedal if the MB200 doesn't quite cut a gig power-wise. I mostly play double bass these days, but my P with flats rocks it too. Best rig I've had in 35+ years of gigging, during which I've had Mesa, Trace, Ampeg, SWR, Peavey, Ashdown and other forgettable brands.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462866063' post='3046289']
I'm assuming that the ports on the back are parallel, so if i chain two together it will present a 4 ohm load to the amp?
[/quote]

What, the Speakon sockets..? Yes. :)
If I had two One10s I'd need to do it this way as my MB200 has only one Speakon out.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462867913' post='3046321']
What, the Speakon sockets..? Yes. :)
If I had two One10s I'd need to do it this way as my MB200 has only one Speakon out.
[/quote]

In which case I think I shall commission a pair of those nifty right angled Spekon cables.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462869001' post='3046340']
In which case I think I shall commission a pair of those nifty right angled Spekon cables.
[/quote]

Very good, but bear in mind I switched the alignment of the sockets by 180 degrees so the Speakon cable wouldn't stick out horizontally beyond the perimeter of the cab. If that makes sense. :)

You may not be as OCD as I am, of course.

Edited by discreet

I have what might be deemed a stupid question .... if I'm correct the BF uniqueness comes from a cone with a high excursion, i.e. movement on the z-axis or in & out to most of us. Is it possible playing at higher volume that these cabs will move? In my mind a light box & speaker violently moving back & forwards shifting air conjures up all sorts of images of BF cabs roaming the stage like demented Daleks :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462870633' post='3046365']
Very good, but bear in mind I switched the alignment of the sockets by 180 degrees so the angled Speakon cable wouldn't stick out horizontally beyond the perimeter of the cab. If that makes sense. :)

You may not be as OCD as I am, of course.
[/quote]

Yes I was just thinking about that... I'd have to plug the bottom one in first too or the top one would be in the way :blink:

I think I'll wait until I actually have them then see what I need :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462870803' post='3046371']
I think I'll wait until I actually have them then see what I need :)
[/quote]

Good wheeze. Your solution may not be the same as mine depending on how you're going to stack the cabs, whether a stand is used, etc etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462871196' post='3046378']
Your solution may not be the same as mine depending on how you're going to stack the cabs, whether a stand is used, etc etc.
[/quote]

Yes that all depends on whether I can bring myself to cope with half an inch of amp overhang or not :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462870798' post='3046370']
I can tell you that the excursion effect will not move a cab, even one weighing only 7kg. :)
[/quote]

I tried a DOD Meatbox through a Mackie Studio monitor last week. It was moving around the desk like a slow hovercraft.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1462872241' post='3046391']
I tried a DOD Meatbox through a Mackie Studio monitor last week. It was moving around the desk like a slow hovercraft.
[/quote]

I'd suggest that is the sign of a cab that isn't designed very well.

As I understand it, BF cabs are braced so the panels don't vibrate, so the cab won't move. All of your sound/volume/tone comes out of the front of the cab and doesn't get dissipated by vibrating the box.