Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced One10 *REVIEW*

discreet

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462539144' post='3043871']
Man I am tempted to order one of these... How does the GK sound through it?
[/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462364635' post='3042380']
How GK does the GK sound through it?
[/quote][quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462366514' post='3042409']
G-K are justly famed for their modern rock tones and the MB200 will produce them - but using a P Bass with La Bella flats gives a very nice warm tone with the amp set flat. Particularly through the One10, which seems to be capable of reproducing a lot more low-end than one would think possible.
[/quote]

The GK sounds great through it, very wide range of tones available. It's a 'voiced' cab, but it's a very sweet voice and doesn't mask the natural sound of your bass. I think it would sound amazing with an all-valve amp, but given its size that pretty much restricts you to the new Ampeg 20- and 50-watt all-valve amps.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462532623' post='3043800']
Here we go then - custom OBBM 32cm angled-Speakon to angled-Speakon cable. A normal 1m cable with straight Speakons is too long and too unwieldy - and with this one I can have the rig closer to a wall on a tight stage if necessary. Kudos to Dave (obbm), who was just on his way out the door to for a 2-week holiday when I enquired about it yesterday. He made the cable and posted it before leaving. I got it this morning. That's what you call customer service... :)

[/quote]

What's that black and grey thing hiding behind the speakon cable? An alarm clock? Can't really see it well... :P

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462554744' post='3044043']
I'm thinking of picking up one of these and a GK MB Fusion....
[/quote]

Perfect choice. Huge sound and very extensive EQ with switchable mids. Wish I still had mine.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1462554807' post='3044044']
What's that black and grey thing hiding behind the speakon cable? An alarm clock? Can't really see it well... :P
[/quote]

:D

Edited by discreet

And largo, I'm with you on the tolex. It looks about a million times better than the painted cabs. If this tolex was all over the other cabs part from the Retro series I think they'd sell better. Aesthetics count.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1462557873' post='3044078']
And largo, I'm with you on the tolex. It looks about a million times better than the painted cabs. If this tolex was all over the other cabs part from the Retro series I think they'd sell better. Aesthetics count.
[/quote]

My tolex is peeling off mind you.

Somewhat annoying.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1462625466' post='3044481']
About a month.

It's the rear panel piece. The edges have all lifted.

I've had it for a few months now but I can't be arsed to complain and at the mo it's the only cab I have so I can't spend the time sending it back.
[/quote]

This is really poor.
Surely this should not happen and only after one month.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1462625466' post='3044481']
About a month. It's the rear panel piece. The edges have all lifted. I've had it for a few months now but I can't be arsed to complain and at the mo it's the only cab I have so I can't spend the time sending it back.
[/quote]

I'd definitely mail Alex and see what he has to say about it. When I was inspecting the One10 I saw that back panel piece and thought, 'that's not how it's done...it should be in one continuous piece and the seam hidden at the base of the cab'.[b]*[/b]

You can see the piece in question in my picture of the Speakon lead, above. I found the same thing when I applied Tolex to a BFM cab I made, I didn't have a long enough piece (fnarr) to go all the way round so I cut out a patch and stuck it on afterwards. Needless to say, even with super-strong glue it was a problem - the edges lifted. But then I've covered precisely ONE cab.

Obviously you don't want to be working on a cab you've only had for a month.

[b]*I was wrong as it turns out, see later posts.[/b] :)

Edited by discreet

It hasn't happened to either of mine. Serial number R005 from the first batch is in daily use, gets taken out to rehearsals (with Roqsolid cover) and still looks immaculate. Serial R033 has had less use but also still looks immaculate.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462627082' post='3044504']

I'd definitely mail Alex and see what he has to say about it. When I was inspecting the One10 I saw that back panel piece and thought, 'that's not the way to apply Tolex - it should be done in one continuous piece and the seam hidden at the base of the cab'.

You can see the piece in question in my picture of the Speakon lead, above. I found the same thing when I applied Tolex to a BFM cab I made, I didn't have a long enough piece (fnarr) to go all the way round so I cut out a patch and stuck it on afterwards. Needless to say, even with super-strong glue it was a problem - obviously the edges will catch in use and eventually lift.

It's not a difficult repair, but obviously you don't want to be working on a cab you've only had for a month.
[/quote]

It happened after a month.

Now the cab is about 6 months old.

To be fair it's exactly the same way as I've seen all other cabs covered - do the four sides in one long roll then do the back panel separately. That said I'd not be happy with it peeling after such a short space of time, I seem to recall similar issues on the Retro Two10 so it's a shame if it's not sorted yet.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1462627404' post='3044509']
It hasn't happened to either of mine. Serial number R005 from the first batch is in daily use, gets taken out to rehearsals (with Roqsolid cover) and still looks immaculate. Serial R033 has had less use but also still looks immaculate.
[/quote][quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1462627637' post='3044511']
It happened after a month. Now the cab is about 6 months old.
[/quote]

I could be a one-off, I suppose. If it happens to my One10 obviously I will post pics. And be letting Alex know all about it. :)

This is the first I've heard of tolex peeling since we changed adhesive last spring/summer. Very disappointed to hear it's occurred and that we haven't been directly told about it, especially as it happened after such a short time. Hopefully it's a rare case because since we launched the One10 we've sold a lot of cabs from the 10CR range which are all tolexed.

The way the tolex is wrapped is the standard way of doing it, one piece around the sides, top, base and into the baffle, with a separate piece for the back - inspect 95% of tolexed bass cabs and you'll see the same seam arrangement. Guitar cabs are different because the rear panel is usually removable or missing.

The adhesive we use is specifically made for tolex so this problem surprises and worries me!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1462635672' post='3044585']
The way the tolex is wrapped is the standard way of doing it, one piece around the sides, top, base and into the baffle, with a separate piece for the back - inspect 95% of tolexed bass cabs and you'll see the same seam arrangement. Guitar cabs are different because the rear panel is usually removable or missing.
[/quote]

Presumably this means the driver in the One10 is loaded from the front, so there isn't a rear panel?

The adhesive we use is specifically made for tolex so this problem surprises and worries me!
[/quote]

I don't think that [i]one [/i]reported problem in a year of sales should be too worrying... ;)

This is the first I've heard of tolex peeling since we changed adhesive last spring/summer. Very disappointed to hear it's occurred and that we haven't been directly told about it, especially as it happened after such a short time. Hopefully it's a rare case because since we launched the One10 we've sold a lot of cabs from the 10CR range which are all tolexed.

[/quote]

Shot you an email earlier Alex :)

And, yes, I wouldn't worry about one cab out of a large number! Doesn't put me off, anyway. Cool of you to pop in and comment directly too, can't say that about too many cab builders :)

[/quote]

I suppose I could have mentioned it directly, but I had more important things to worry about - I've had 3 operations in the last few months.

The cab sounds brilliant and when funds allow I will be buying another. It hasn't put me off.

Edited by fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1462638892' post='3044609']

I suppose I could have mentioned it directly, but I had more important things to worry about - I've had 3 operations in the last few months.
[/quote]

Puts things well into perspective, hope all good :)

To my eyes the Tolex finishing looks as good as I have seen. I also quoted serial numbers as evidence that I have had the first of my cabs for as long as anyone except prototype users.

I am careful with my gear but it still gets carried around with other "stuff" in my car, but perhaps I am not the best stress-test individual. What I do find odd is that this fault has been tolerated with no referral back to Barefaced. How are products supposed to be improved without that dialogue? Barefaced as a company is totally open to communication and discussion as evidenced by Alex's intervention here.

Edit: The input on operations overlapped.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462639513' post='3044616']

Ouch. Well that's understandable. Hope you're OK!
[/quote]

I'll find out in about a month whether I need No 4.

I'm getting quite bored with getting cut open. Although the scarring is beginning to look like a treasure map!