Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced One10 *REVIEW*

discreet

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462462080' post='3043224']

Plus the amp in a case with the cables etc, and the (lightweight..?) bass... It all adds up, you know. :rolleyes:
It all seems to stem from this bass-specific need to have a 'one-trip' rig. I have a rug, a drum throne, three cymbal-drum stands, a pedal vanity case, five soft flight cases and a cymbal flight case to load in and out. Do I do that in one foul swoop..? The heck I do..! You've chosen well to go for bass. Could've gone for piccolo, though; even less to haul... :lol: :P
[/quote]

I was about to come back at you with harmonica... But I was recently at a blues gig where the harmonica player used a vintage Fender Tweed tube amp that took 2 hefty guys to carry it up the stairs in its flight case...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462459655' post='3043202']
I have a great 210, I just reckon 2x 110s would be even easier to get around and would also give me the flexibility of taking just one for acousticy type gigs.

... it's just GAS really!
[/quote]

You don't need to tell me, since I'd played them I've been GASing for a solitary ONE10. I even took it on the tube to a few gigs and it was a breeze. Taking a pair to a gig (in a car) is very manageable.

I already have the MB200, just need to raise the funds to put in the order and match discreets rig.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1462461525' post='3043217']
Hernia?! 13kg?! What are men made of nowadays! Tsk, tsk, tsk...
[/quote]

Yes, hence the ' ;)'...

It was only a few short years ago that 18, 20 and even 24kg was considered lightweight for a single cab. Anything more than that (albeit possibly great-sounding) now seems as archaic as an iron-clad battleship.

Of course whether you have to transport your own gear and how old and/or unhealthy you are has a bearing on this.

Edited by discreet

I've toyed with the idea of adding a One10 and a little 2 Ohm capable head like the Genz Mag. or Mesa D800 to the fold... Or going for another Two10... Or dumping the Two10 idea all together and going full bore for a Four10. So many cool options Alex has given us!!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462393400' post='3042740']
Yes... the problem is, it sounds good and all, but it's just so [i]cute![/i] :lol:

Don't lose hope yet Martin, it might be totally crap at an actual gig... ;)
[/quote]

I've gigged mine!

It was awesome. that's what made me sell my Bergs.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462447868' post='3043061']
Right... who's got a pair of these they can bring to the herts bash?
[/quote]

I'm taking a One10 to the Herts bass bash. Sorry, I don't have 2.
I'm also expecting to be in Camden week after next.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462364403' post='3042377']
First impressions lead me to believe that [i]one [/i]of these would be the ultimate, flexible, portable cab solution, but we'll see! :)

That's a temporary solution... I have a more permanent Velcro solution in the offing. ;)
The stand is a Stagg 14707 and can be got at a good price from Amazon:
[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-14707-Foldable-Amplifier-Monitor/dp/B000YL952E"]https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000YL952E[/url]

It's small enough for a One10 but I've also had a Fender Rumble 500 on it with no problems.
[/quote]

Cheers dude :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1462396761' post='3042802']
...most intrigued by the amp stand. Never really bothered before but actually quite taken with the idea the more I think about it. You'll have to let me know the pros and cons of the Stagg vs the (I assume!) MarkBass Velcro strip™ :)
[/quote]

I've had a couple of Markbass Mark Stands (the wide Velcro and board wedge thing) and while it's convenient to carry as it packs flat, it's possible to have your cab fall over backwards in use... the Stagg stand gives you a proper 45-degree tilt (in fact ONLY a 45-degree tilt), but it has a back support so no chance of your cab tipping over.

It's also close to the floor so your cab can't fall off it and it's very simple, having no controls or adjusters. So you can whip it out, manipulate it and have it ready for action in a few seconds. And when you're done you can quickly fold it up and hide it away before anyone sees what's happening. :biggrin: It packs flat as well... I'll take some better pics later.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462470465' post='3043348']
So you can whip it out, manipulate it and have it ready for action in a few seconds. And when you're done you can quickly fold it up and hide it away before anyone sees what's happening. :biggrin:
[/quote]

Sounds great, apart from the folding-up bit :unsure:

Some stand pics, for those who are stand-curious...

The second stand is a Stagg 14708, which is suitable for horizontal One10 placement if you have a wider amp.
[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musical-Instruments-Stagg-14708-Short-Amplifier-Monitor/dp/B002MUGL2W/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1462523766&sr=1-3&keywords=stagg+amp+stand"]https://www.amazon.c...stagg+amp+stand[/url] - not bad for £13 delivered in mainland UK.

It has a ratchet/clutch system and can be adjusted in various ways for height, footprint size, stance, angle, etc.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462524012' post='3043691']
More importantly when can I come round and have a go on the scalextric? ... ah the smell of burning plastic.
[/quote]

And that ozone-type electricity smell! That was a Christmas present for young master discreet many years ago and most of the key components are probably in landfill somewhere, via the Hoover...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462524153' post='3043693']
And that ozone-type electricity smell! That was a Christmas present for young master discreet many years ago and most of the key components are probably in landfill somewhere, via the Hoover...
[/quote]

I was never allowed one as a kid, my mate Paul had one though (he had everything). Unfortunately his mum stopped him using it after an unfortunate incident with the hamster and some sellotape... :mellow:

I have one of the first type of stands - I use it these days to make sure the guitard's combo's pointing at his head...the stage volume's far more manageable if that's the case... <_< :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1462530486' post='3043776']
I have one of the first type of stands - I use it these days to make sure the guitard's combo's pointing at his head...the stage volume's far more manageable if that's the case... <_< :)
[/quote]

That's what it's all about... having your amp blasting your shins is not good. I like to make sure I can hear myself, if nothing else. There are too many variables attached to live sound, I like to get my own little bubble of happiness sorted as a starting point.

Here we go then - custom OBBM 32cm angled-Speakon to angled-Speakon cable. A normal 1m cable with straight Speakons is too long and too unwieldy - and with this one I can have the rig closer to a wall on a tight stage if necessary. Kudos to Dave (obbm), who was just on his way out the door for a 2-week holiday when I enquired about it yesterday. He made the cable and posted it before leaving. I got it this morning. That's what you call customer service... :)

Edited by discreet