Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced One10 *REVIEW*

discreet

[b]NCD - Barefaced One10[/b]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/284370-ncd-barefaced-one10/page__view__findpost__p__3045653"][b]REVIEW added at 12:50, May 9th 2016[/b][/url]

It's here! A few pics to be going on with - I will of course be posting a full review after I've rehearsed and gigged with it, so probably about a week or so. But perhaps I'll post a few preliminary thoughts later on though, eh..? :)

Edited by discreet

Handle looks good and sturdy,,, :mellow:

In all seriousness, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with this and what you think of the tone... It's just possible that a pair of these would be the ultimate, flexible, portable cab solution.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462363659' post='3042365']
It's just possible that a pair of these would be the ultimate, flexible, portable cab solution.
[/quote]

First impressions lead me to believe that [i]one [/i]of these would be the ultimate, flexible, portable cab solution, but we'll see! :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1462363992' post='3042370']
See, I would never have thought to hang the GK feet over the front of the cab.
Discreet, please name the cab stand you are using :).
[/quote]

That's a temporary solution... I have a more permanent Velcro solution in the offing. ;)
The stand is a Stagg 14707 and can be got at a good price from Amazon:
[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-14707-Foldable-Amplifier-Monitor/dp/B000YL952E"]https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000YL952E[/url]

It's small enough for a One10 but I've also had a Fender Rumble 500 on it with no problems.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462364635' post='3042380']
How GK does the GK sound through it? if that makes any sense :blink:
[/quote]

It does make sense. G-K are justly famed for their modern rock tones and the MB200 will produce them - but using a P Bass with La Bella flats gives a very nice warm tone with the amp set flat. Particularly through the One10, which seems to be capable of reproducing a lot more low-end than one would think possible. But more on this later.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='modelreject' timestamp='1462366872' post='3042413']
So how many watts do you get out of that with just the one Barefaced One10 cab?
[/quote]

The One10 is rated at 8ohms at which G-K claim 140W for the MB200. So if the rig initially turns out to be underpowered it won't be the One10 at fault. Barefaced claim that it can handle a continuous 250W all day long - with clean tones.

Edited by discreet

That's a lovely compact little rig. It makes either of my combos look positively bulky.

I fancy a ONE10 with one of the new Peavey MiniMax amps. At a total cost of around £600 that would serve well as my rehearsal and small venue gig setup.

Looking forward to reading your review. :)

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1462370904' post='3042449']
I fancy a ONE10 with one of the new Peavey MiniMax amps.
[/quote]

I was looking at those too.
Quite apart from any other consideration I think the white chicken-head knobs would go very well with the cloth grille! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462372089' post='3042467']
I was looking at those too.
Quite apart from any other consideration I think the white chicken-head knobs would go very well with the cloth grille! :D
[/quote]
Why not get Alex to make you a "custom special" cab with a chicken-wire front to match the knobs?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1462372307' post='3042469']
Why not get Alex to make you a "custom special" cab with a chicken-wire front to match the knobs?
[/quote]

What a poultry comment. I think it would look fowl...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1462365604' post='3042395']
I don't want one of those. I repeat, I don't want one of those...
[/quote]

This is surely one for the Basschats Famous Quote thread...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/571-basschats-famous-quotes-thread/

Edited by TheGreek

Having played my Barefaced One10/G-K MB200 rig for quite a few hours now, my initial observations are are follows:[list=1]
[*]It produces more bottom end (and dare I say it, 'heft') than you would think possible from a normal 10" driver. Which it isn't, of course. Nice work on the design front. I was expecting this, but it's still a surprise.
[*]As I tend to play louder at home than I do gigging with my current band, the rig is clearly going to be more than loud enough to gig with. But to be fair, I'm in a relatively quiet band which is not a rock band and there is no shed-building drummer.
[*]You'd expect the cab to run out of steam pretty quickly, but it doesn't and gives a very reassuring impression of solidity and mass - but it weighs 7kg. It's going to be a Godsend on the haulage front. I already have a padded cajon bag into which the rig fits snugly. Total weight including bag: 9kg.
[*]If I played with a louder band I'd probably want to either upgrade to a 300W @ 8ohms amp (which the One10 could easily handle) OR buy another One10 and get full 4ohm beans from my MB200. If I joined a rock band with a mad drummer I'd do both to be on the safe side. But I doubt I'd need more. And two cabs stacked vertically are still only 2'6" tall, 1' wide and weigh only 14kg. Stacked horizontally they are 2' tall and 1'3" wide.
[*]Two of these cabs with a loud amp would definitely see you right in 99% percent of live situations. A really big venue or a festival would have sound reinforcement, thus you would use the rig for stage monitoring, but two cabs and a decent amp would be more than enough for any size pub or club gig - in my humble opinion!
[*]It sounds really great. No boom or honk, nice solid bottom end, very smooth through the mids and more air in the top than you'd warrant from a tweeterless driver. It's PHAT, basically. Even though I've seen it and heard it, I still don't believe it. :)
[/list]
I have a gig on Sunday, a rehearsal the following Wednesday and another gig the Saturday after that. So when that's done I should be in a position to write a full and proper review, post some detailed pics and come to some sort of conclusion - but I'm already impressed and very much looking forward to turning up at venues with my bass in one hand and my rig in the other. Fun!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1462392500' post='3042728']
Sounds and looks like a great setup. GAS has firedup!
[/quote]

Yes... the problem is, it sounds good and all, but it's just so [i]cute![/i] :lol:

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1462393378' post='3042739']
Sounds awesome. Just what I didn't need. :D
[/quote]

Don't lose hope yet Martin, it might be totally crap at an actual gig... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462393400' post='3042740']
... it might be totally crap at an actual gig... ;)
[/quote]

Not according to the conversation I had with Alex when I collected mine.
Alex said:

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Two of these cabs with a loud amp would definitely see you right in 99% percent of live situations. A really big venue or a festival would have sound reinforcement, thus you would use the rig for stage monitoring, but two cabs and a decent amp would be more than enough for any size pub or club gig - in my humble opinion!", said Alex.[/font][/color]