Why become a member? ×

SE Bash - post match thread

WalMan

[quote name='alexclaber' post='293834' date='Sep 28 2008, 12:33 PM']What a great day! Sad I missed the other talks because I was too carried away seeing how my cabs worked with the multitude of amps there - yes, that rumble coming through the wall was probably my fault - but I had a fantastic time and am thrilled that my own ramblings were of use, it's bit different to talking to an audience than playing a load of BritSkunk(tm) at them! Everyone was so cool, but we are bass players, what do you expect? :huh: (Can you imagine it working as well with drummers, guitarists, or heaven forbid - singers!!?)

Alex

P.S. CK - am attempting to defeat my Shuttle GAS - fortunately have just listened to a new gig recording where my tone was pretty damn righteous - but it's soooo small and cute and loud and fat, etc etc etc...[/quote]
Great talk Alex and thanks very much for doing that for everybody!

Mind you, talking about your loud cabs, I think I learnt as much about speaker placement with the rumble coming through the wall from your cabs as I did from your talk! :huh:

I share that Shuttle GAS with you and also for Coasterbass's Eden Navigator set-up.. Didn't get to hear Andy's Hartke either so I'll just have to wait until next time :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='294078' date='Sep 28 2008, 07:17 PM']Great talk Alex and thanks very much for doing that for everybody![/quote]
Yeah!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='294078' date='Sep 28 2008, 07:17 PM']I share that Shuttle GAS with you and also for Coasterbass's Eden Navigator set-up..[/quote]
Yeah!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='294078' date='Sep 28 2008, 07:17 PM']Didn't get to hear Andy's Hartke either so I'll just have to wait until next time :)[/quote]
Unless someone just up the road buys one first, eh? Of course, the G&L or one of Alex's cabs might come first... Kidney anyone? - One careful owner...

Let me add my thanks to Nik and Merton for arranging the day (...and soooo close to my home as well :) ). Great to put faces to names, and appreciate the chance to try out some amazing basses... ACG (Andy), Wal (walman, not surprisingly), RIM (Alex) etc. - thanks guys. Also, Joe did a great set up on my Mustang (now withdrawn from the 'for sale' section!) and some interesting talks. And finally, just a comment... bass players are such nice people :huh: - I wonder if lead guitarists have similar get togethers??!!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='294085' date='Sep 28 2008, 07:24 PM']Unless someone just up the road buys one first, eh? Of course, the G&L or one of Alex's cabs might come first... Kidney anyone? - One careful owner...[/quote]

:)

You have plans then it would seem Mr Lager?? Sounds interesting....

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='294178' date='Sep 28 2008, 09:15 PM']We should [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashmob"]flashmob[/url] the Bass Cellar and start trying everything out. That'd learn em. :)[/quote]

yes, yes and a thousand times yes!!

Dammit, we should do it, all say we're gonna buy the most expensive gear there, and do a massive slow jam of MustHang Sally!

:huh:

A bit late I know... really enjoyed it guys. Thanks to everyone involved for doing such a great job, and thanks to WalMan for lifting me a lift back to the train station.

Highlights for me were Bernie Goodfellow's Jazz which I think was owned by Mika's bassist, and johnnylager's Ashdown Lomenzo sig distortion pedal. Can't wait for the national! :)

Well its taken me a good 48hrs to fully process all my thoughts from such a fantastic day (and also to shake the ringing in my ears from Alex's cabs and that monster Hartke stack!!). As a Bass Bash virgin I didn't know quite what to expect.

Thanks to Merton and Nik for organising such a brilliant day, and thanks to everyone else who came for, well, being so damn nice! :huh:

It was great to see such gorgeous gear being shown the open road and really put through their paces! And not a slap-fest in sight! :huh:

Fantastic workshops which really gave the day some 'purpose'. Fortunately I've survived with minimal GAS, but I did find myself back on the Buy/Sell thread on Sunday :)

Thanks to all, and roll-on the next Bass Bash

Nick

Great day, but gutted to have missed the Bootsy Bass - whose was it?

Too much nice gear to single out a favourite, but I must mention s_u_y_*'s vintage P. Finally a P that felt right, was not too big, balanced well, sounded great, and was not too heavy. Why was mine not like that!

With all the talented playing going on, how about some kind of master-class thing, for next time?

Thanks again to Nik, Merton, and Walman :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='294694' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:17 PM']Great day, but gutted to have missed the Bootsy Bass - whose was it?

Too much nice gear to single out a favourite, but I must mention s_u_y_*'s vintage P. Finally a P that felt right, was not too big, balanced well, sounded great, and was not too heavy. Why was mine not like that!

With all the talented playing going on, how about some kind of master-class thing, for next time?

Thanks again to Nik, Merton, and Walman :)[/quote]
Good idea - I was thinking that a masterclass (or two) would work really well next time.. Bernie Goodfellow said that he might be able to tempt Laurence Cottle down if we give him more notice next time...

Some pics:

[attachment=14129:acg_bfm.JPG]

[attachment=14130:alex.JPG]

[attachment=14131:barefaced_on_vtype.JPG]

[attachment=14132:barefaced_ped.JPG]

[attachment=14133:bernie.JPG]

[attachment=14134:coasterb...ppybunny.JPG]

[attachment=14135:GB_bass_ebs_rigs.JPG]

[attachment=14136:hamster.JPG]

[attachment=14137:obbm.JPG]

[attachment=14138:suy.JPG]

[attachment=14139:v8.JPG]

[attachment=14140:bernie_2.JPG]

Edited by Merton

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='295237' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:06 AM']Oh come on... I'm sure they didn't sound THAT bad.[/quote]
I think that any bad sound was my playing :)

To be fair, that pic was taken whilst Alex was playing my Retroactive thru my V-Type "head" into the Big One. It was a huuuge sound and unsurprisingly my amp ran out of juice waaay before the Big One even broke a sweat.