Why become a member? ×

Musicman new Cutlass and Caprice, someone's got a video of them

Grand Wazoo

I really like the white one... But the traditional MM neck/headstock does look a bit odd on that body. I'm sure I could get used to it though.

Edit: Didn't MM/EB have a Cutlass model back in the 80s - one completely different to this one?

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

How does a bass look cheap these days? You are paying for Musicman build quality I suppose. Having said that, the pickups did make me think of Sandberg's Electra models. Which are cheaper than some. Not £350 cheap though.

Edited by DBerriff

I really like the way these look for some reason. I hated them when I first saw them but my eyes have got used to them, I kind of get the aesthetic now. I reckon they'll do ok with these basses once people get used to them. And that's coming from a Fender fan.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1462373696' post='3042488']
How does a bass look cheap these days? You are paying for Musicman build quality I suppose. Having said that, the pickups did make me think of Sandberg's Electra models. Which are cheaper than some. Not £350 cheap though.
[/quote]

I suppose cheap should imply and be applied to their core basses as 'not as well appointed' or 'less classy'. While I've only owned a lone MM (a Bongo 5HH), I've always felt that MMs (specifically Stingray basses) always kind of carried themselves head and shoulders above the competition in an over-saturated analogous marketplace. Up against the Stingray, the Caprice looks a bit like a lower-cost model, more in line with the Sterling/SUB models. While I've only seen a few stills, to me it doesn't look like a £1,500 instrument.

What I'm trying to say is £350 does buy a lot of bass nowadays. £1,500 should buy you an awful lot more.

I think the point with these, as has been picked up elsewhere, is that you would get a traditional sounding/looking bass but with the excellent build quality, playability and neck feel associated with a Musicman bass. They've also produced some pretty decent passive tone controls in other models so these should be versatile.

Im personally not a massive fan of basses in the P, PJ (or J) tradition so will not be ditching my Stingrays in favour of them. However there are good reports of the feel, playability and sound of these basses. I wouldn't mind trying them when available.

I'd like to try one, perhaps even own one. MM's passive tone control is wonderful...it really nails what I want from a tone control. The Big Al was a good example of how they approach passive basses and they do sound wonderful.

Unfortunately I feel they may struggle in the UK due to a Fender P being about £300-400 less. I imagine the MM quality will be far superior though.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1462893475' post='3046735']
I can see these flopping massively and being discontinued fairly quickly.
[/quote]

That's what I'm counting on. If it sounds like a great Precision, is light, and plays like dairy-based spreadable fat, then I may snag myself a Cutlass.

Not keen on sunburst, so these are my options in a year or so's time:

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1463504762' post='3051897']
Cheaper here which is good!

[url="http://www.projectmusic.net/music-man-809-c.asp"]http://www.projectmu...c-man-809-c.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Not cheap enough for most of us haha. I guess we will have to wait for the Sterling by Musicman version ;)