Why become a member? ×

So infuriating!

Evil Undead

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1462220867' post='3041284']
I didn't get on with my pitch black tuner.
[/quote]

Whereas mine is the best tuner pedal I've ever had! Can't comment on the clip-on version though.

It seems to me that if you tune, then it goes out after a short time, the nut slots may be a wee bit on the tight side & gripping. Consider a pass or two of a file to give a smidgen of more width, and make sure the bottom of the slot is cut clean with an angle down toward the head with a good witness point.

G.

Is there no way to go back to the luthier with it and explain things to him..? He should know if here's anything amiss and how to fix it. Has this always been like this since you got it from him, or has ti been good up to now, but something has changed..?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1462218297' post='3041244']Is the bridge in the right place for the new neck?[/quote]
[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1462220257' post='3041274']I would think the bridge location is fine, the bass was put together by an excellent luthier so can't see that being a problem[/quote]

This was my thought as soon as I read "new neck".
It would be easy to measure the bridge position and no luthier is so perfect that they don't let an occasional slip through.

You mentioned adjusting the height of the bridge pickup, but didn't mention the neck pickup.

It might be worth lowering it 2mm to match the change you made to the other and see if there's any improvement. It's free and reversible, so it can't hurt to try.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1462222722' post='3041307']
Have you got good output from the bass, and is the volume all the way up?
[/quote]

Yes all ok there
[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1462224562' post='3041325']
It seems to me that if you tune, then it goes out after a short time, the nut slots may be a wee bit on the tight side & gripping. Consider a pass or two of a file to give a smidgen of more width, and make sure the bottom of the slot is cut clean with an angle down toward the head with a good witness point.

G.
[/quote]
Yeah? Maybe I'll give that a try but I'm not confident with that sort of thing

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462224663' post='3041327']
Is there no way to go back to the luthier with it and explain things to him..? He should know if here's anything amiss and how to fix it. Has this always been like this since you got it from him, or has ti been good up to now, but something has changed..?
[/quote]
Yeah it's been like this the whole time. I could, but he's miles away and would involve a very long car journey or postage, and I CBA with either to be honest :D
[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1462225623' post='3041339']
This was my thought as soon as I read "new neck".
It would be easy to measure the bridge position and no luthier is so perfect that they don't let an occasional slip through.
[/quote]
True. The intonation is a lot better since I lowered the bridge pickup though. The tuning is still up and down though.
[quote name='Lo-E' timestamp='1462226776' post='3041349']
You mentioned adjusting the height of the bridge pickup, but didn't mention the neck pickup.

It might be worth lowering it 2mm to match the change you made to the other and see if there's any improvement. It's free and reversible, so it can't hurt to try.
[/quote]
I should have said, I checked that one and it's 4-5mm, the bridge one has been lowered to match it

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1462218150' post='3041240']
When I had the neck made, I asked for hipshot USA as I had the money for those at the time, but the luthier convinced me to go with schallers and I really don't like them at all so I'm a bit gutted that I paid out for them. I would like to change them but can't afford it right now. I should have stuck to what I wanted
[/quote]
I can recommend the cheaper Hipshot Licensed Import tuners. I fitted a set of these to my Sire V7 5-string and they're superb. One of my other basses has USA Hipshots and the Licensed ones are just as good.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1462266526' post='3041497']
I can recommend the cheaper Hipshot Licensed Import tuners. I fitted a set of these to my Sire V7 5-string and they're superb. One of my other basses has USA Hipshots and the Licensed ones are just as good.
[/quote]

I'll look into them :) thanks!

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1462220257' post='3041274']
The pole were only 2mm under the strings on the bridge pickup so I've lowered them to 4mm under and it's definitely helped a little. But lowering them further doesn't seem to help so I've left them at 4mm. I like a nice meaty bridge tone, that might be a bit low for me but there's always the volume knob :)
[/quote]

That sounds alarmingly close! Even 4mm! My guess would be the pickup magnets being too close to the strings and pulling them out of tune.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1462276146' post='3041623']

That sounds alarmingly close! Even 4mm! My guess would be the pickup magnets being too close to the strings and pulling them out of tune.
[/quote]
I tend to agree. That's why I suggested lowering the neck pickup an equal amount and seeing if it helps.

Hi Mel
Most of the usual suspects have already been mentioned. My starting point for pickup height is usually 4mm bridge and 5.5mm neck so with the adjustment you've already made (assuming neck pup height is OK) it is unlikely to be excessive magnetic pull.

The thing that makes me wonder is that the same string and fret will vary between plucks and the tuners sometimes act in reverse. That does not fit the normal pattern of tight nuts, bridge, etc.. It fits with duff strings but you've eliminated that.

So a couple more things to check relating to the stability of the neck:
1. What is the neck relief like? And is it stable, that is, consistent each time you measure
2. The neck bolts may be tight, but is the neck secure and properly seated. That is, with the strings off, does the neck move in its seating?

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

Interesting. I bet if the bass is infront of me I would get to the bottom of it in 5 min.

A out the box thought. Is the truss rod tight? Sometimes you can get correct relief with it fairly slack neither putting any bow forward or back on the neck. The trouble is different environments or holding the bass in different positions or touching the neck can have a slight effect on the relief, thus giving you tuning instability.
This is cured by just tightening the truss rod ever so slightly with the strings fully tuned to pitch.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1462349224' post='3042218']
Hi Mel
Most of the usual suspects have already been mentioned. My starting point for pickup height is usually 4mm bridge and 5.5mm neck so with the adjustment you've already made (assuming neck pup height is OK) it is unlikely to be excessive magnetic pull.

The thing that makes me wonder is that the same string and fret will vary between plucks and the tuners sometimes act in reverse. That does not fit the normal pattern of tight nuts, bridge, etc.. It fits with duff strings but you've eliminated that.

So a couple more things to check relating to the stability of the neck:
1. What is the neck relief like? And is it stable, that is, consistent each time you measure
2. The neck bolts may be tight, but is the neck secure and properly seated. That is, with the strings off, does the neck move in its seating?

Andy
[/quote]

Indeed. I didn't see your post before mine.
These are things I would look into.

A pain in the rear, certainly, but I would still recommend either going back to the original luthier, or calling upon a more local capable person willing to help (there's a list [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277468-bcers-prepared-to-help-fix-a-bass/page__view__findpost__p__2960497"]here...[/url] of BC candidates; no-one near enough, or a local bass tech..?). There are so many variables in play, and a fresh pair of eyes and ears could be useful in spotting the, perhaps, obvious..? Just sayin'.
(I'd offer to have a look, myself, but it may be a bit too far, unless you're due a holiday soon..? :D )

Edited by Dad3353