Why become a member? ×

Why I Play With A Pick

blue

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1462800284' post='3045716']
Personal to the individual i guess, but i never liked that attack that pick players speak of. Most pick tracks seem to sound like mild versions of Jean Jackets Brunel of the Stranglers, a tone i really hate, despite whether he's a good bassist or not.

YMMV of course :)
[/quote]well not entirely accurate, I've never heard Macca sounding like J J :lol: saw a band on saturday and I was chatting to the bass player who played a Ric, he looked a bit taken aback when I said they all sound clanky to me, and to be fair it didn't when he played finger style, then he played a couple of songs with a pick, clank clank clank, but then, back to Macca, he never sounded like that when he played one, it's all down to eq I guess

Really glad I've read this thread. I always played bass with a pick mainly as I also play guitar.
I've tried over last few months to play with fingers partly because I've got the feeling (some of it on here) that proper bass players use their fingers :)
Not only have I struggled to get an even rhythm but I also have to keep messing with my eq when I switch back to pick.
After reading these comments I'm going to go back to pick full time and work on other areas of my playing.
Feel quite relieved :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462138336' post='3040612']
Why I Play With A Pick

Ok,guys,let's hear your reasoning.

No hatin.

Blue
[/quote]

Pretty much the same as bonzodog. Played with a pick most of my playing life. Not sure why, maybe its because i also played a bit of guitar first. I dont really like the tone most of the time. I have started playing with fingers at home but my drummer insists on playing everything so fast so i use a pick as my fingers cant keep up. Its a viscous cycle at the moment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463433139' post='3051367']
Pretty much the same as bonzodog. Played with a pick most of my playing life. Not sure why, maybe its because i also played a bit of guitar first. I dont really like the tone most of the time. I have started playing with fingers at home but my drummer insists on playing everything so fast so i use a pick as my fingers cant keep up. Its a viscous cycle at the moment.
[/quote]sounds like my sort of drummer :)