Why become a member? ×

Tone How To

taha_never

how can i achieve the tone on 2:16 in this track? i have a P bass. do you know of any effects unit(s) which can do this?
or a miced amp is the only way? which one? can anyone list the paths to this, ordered by price?
sorry, bad english, tone and gear noob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gcFQnR_LB8

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1462124499' post='3040465']
On my sidebar on that clip was this: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU_bJtRwWbM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=gU_bJtRwWbM[/url] their live show from BBC6 festival. it might be on there? And there might be a pedlaboard shot? :D
[/quote] thanks. tight bandwidth. will check it out at work. :)

BTW - is your first language German by any chance? :D I ask because it can seem blunt directly translated to English; so 'obviously' in the way you used it sounds like 'yes, any idiot could have worked that out'. I'm not actually sure what the 'proper' English would be as i for some reason still use slang like 'totally!' for that kind of phrase. I guess, 'so it is' or 'of course!' Would work?

I'm also now very intrigued by that sound and have been playing with it. Slightly overdriven and lots of reverb, possibly a bit of chorus is my guess so far? I have a Nux Timecore with modulated delay and a bass with a gibson type humbucker. And a pick... :D

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1462128407' post='3040510']
BTW - is your first language German by any chance? :D I ask because it can seem blunt directly translated to English; so 'obviously' in the way you used it sounds like 'yes, any idiot could have worked that out'. I'm not actually sure what the 'proper' English would be as i for some reason still use slang like 'totally!' for that kind of phrase. I guess, 'so it is' or 'of course!' Would work?
[/quote]
"I would agree?"

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1462128407' post='3040510']any idiot could have worked that out[/quote]
hahaha! damn :unsure: no way i talk this way to anyone, specially when they are trying to help!

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1462128407' post='3040510']
Slightly overdriven and lots of reverb, possibly a bit of chorus is my guess so far?[/quote]
good point! i'll try the modulations on my zoom b2 into my tube preamp. with a pick! B)

Hard to say...there is a big gaping EQ hole there.... so something with distortion, a flanger and delay might be getting there.
I'm assuming you haven't got any of theses pedals so a cheap FX board like a ME might work..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1462208341' post='3041127']
Hard to say...there is a big gaping EQ hole there.... so something with distortion, a flanger and delay might be getting there.
I'm assuming you haven't got any of theses pedals so a cheap FX board like a ME might work..
[/quote] thanks JTUK for chiming in. for the dist part i have an ehx comp into a tube pre. for modulations i'll use the zoom ME. but i was more curious about the type of the drive and wanted to know what type of drive is it? an specific pedal that sounds like this? an specific amp? etc. maybe there's something to do with the eq. so maybe go comp>pre>mod>eq and eq to the desired tone. i'll try when home. can you please explain the gaping eq hole you heard with a little more detail? cheers

As I hear it..you are trying to achieve a chain saw type attack.
The pick is one way and I'd be dropping out the low mids..and bring in higher mids...which is where the hole seems to be.
I would be looking to not thickening up the sound at all.

I'm not sure about comnpressors here... but you might need to use one to tame the sound.
First off, I'd be looking to find the sound without.

To me that sound is 'thin'... so a distortion pedal with tone on it.
Something with a lot of editing capability ..Gt10-B might allow you to take out the conponent parts quite easily to get close.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1462282288' post='3041714']
As I hear it..you are trying to achieve a chain saw type attack.
The pick is one way and I'd be dropping out the low mids..and bring in higher mids...which is where the hole seems to be.
I would be looking to not thickening up the sound at all.

I'm not sure about comnpressors here... but you might need to use one to tame the sound.
First off, I'd be looking to find the sound without.

To me that sound is 'thin'... so a distortion pedal with tone on it.
Something with a lot of editing capability ..Gt10-B might allow you to take out the conponent parts quite easily to get close.
[/quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thanks man. i pushed my pre to dist with some boost from the comp, added the chorus, cut 250Hz and boosted 800 and got pretty close. i'll bring the speaker sim of my fender di into the chain to get a more amp/cab like tone cutting higher highs and lower lows. a bit of room reverb effect would give it some dimension and life no? [/font][/color] :drinks:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Closest pedal I own that has a really barking midrange to stand out in the mix like that is the Pike Vulcan with the colour knob over to the left. Sounds particularly awesome with a Precision or T-Bird with bright roundwound strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6dq3luTrI

The MXR Bass Distortion sounds like it could fit the bill too, cheaper and more easily available and gets glowing reviews (I've not tried one though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXXePJLE2U

That's a very cool sound (above!)

Here's me mucking about seeing how close i can get:

[media]http://soundcloud.com/operative451/daughter[/media]

Basically then, its growly distortion into thuddy amp! I used pedals - Joyo British sound set to grr, with eq at a sort of squashed W, then into Joyo california sound, set thuddy but sort of cleanish. And then into a USB mixer and recorded in Audacity, with a bit of room reverb added after.