Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]May’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, [b]Rikki1984[/b]… [/size]

[size=5]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size]

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Tuesday 24th May.[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1462112550' post='3040343']
Ooh sci-fi! Looking forward to this one :)
[/quote]

When I picked the picture I did actually think of you cos I know you like to do 'cinematic' and the picture definitely had a filmic feel. I can definitely see the Blade Runner vibe.

I tried to pick something that could be approached from lots of different perspectives - just general futurism, film noir, the Notre Dame French setting, the dystopian feel with armed guards etc.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with! ☺

Edited by Rikki1984

Now this I can definitely do something with. I can definitely see Vangelis - but I'm thinking more dark-ambient-techno-metal. What's dark-ambient-techno-metal? No idea. It'll probably end up sounding like Vangelis though.

Edited by bobbass4k

Off we go to Orlando; compare and contrast ...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/i-was-disappointed-with-disneyland"]I Was Disappointed With Disneyland :-( ...[/url]

Enjoy ...

Edited by Dad3353

well, i am not sure quite what it is that i am recording so far. its rather like industrial electro funk blues. wasnt at all what i had in mind when i started but i am finding it a curious avenue so far, so i will keep going down this particular rabbit hole for now. not far off going into the tweaking phase now.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1462394093' post='3042754']
Almost got mine at the stage where I'm happy and start mixing it. Only trouble is that it's 7.5 seconds too long! I'll see if I can swipe a couple of bars out of it...
[/quote]

Mine goes 3 seconds over the limit, and I'm not going to sweat blood about it..! Let it ride, chum. Rules is rules, but this is a Challenge, not a bid for an entry in a record book..! Just my view; others may differ (and let, 'em, I say..! Bunch of old fuddy-duddies if they do..!).

([i]S'my Punk attitude breaking surface, I fear. Sorry; I'll take my tablets now[/i]... :blush: )

Edited by Dad3353

Actually I've just taken a few bars out and shortened a part that in hindsight was a bit too drawn out anyway. So now it nicely fades out to bang on 5 mins! Having restrictions can help! Just the mixing to go now :) The bass fills out my monitors a lot which means I probably shouldn't put it through my hi-fi speakers just yet just in case...

OK, I get the message. I've advanced a tad the fade-out, and rendered without the default 1-second 'tail'. It's uploading as I type; we'll see if it's crept under the 5-minute bar or not. Suspense...

Edit: Yay..! 4'59"..! Result..!

([i]It won't garner any more votes for all that, all the same[/i]... :( )

Edited by Dad3353

right then, this is mine. i dont know if it works with the picture very well, i dont think it does really. it would have if it had carried on as it started but it sort of went off track and i wasnt really having much luck with any other idea so i just ran with it. its also a little rough as i have been told that i tend to work song to death. apparently people like my tunes more before i have re-recorded parts to work out the flaws, so i am trying to take it on board and just leave things as they stand before i get too far down the rabbit hole.
at the start it was really industrial-electro feeling, but i couldnt find a bassline to suit and it took on a more funky approach. it was a really strange thing to play for me too as the two bass parts were almost in different times, dont know if they are as i am not good with that side of things, so it was trying to switch between tight on the drums and then off beat. i am not unhappy with it though, i think its more interesting than my usual fare of attempted atmospherics. plus its the first outing for my new bass, which i am loving.

https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/the-opressors-new-groove

i also took mornats advice and recorded everything much quieter so that i could turn things up rather than down. seems to work as i think things are clearer.

Finished mine today :D

So, I went for the obvious - a sci-fi style affair, a fairly slow one with a variety of instruments - like I'd ever stick to a few instruments! My favourite being the Sound Dust Ghost Piano, a fantastic sounding instrument. My MIM precision sounds rather nice on this too (as the strings get older it sounds better and better). I held off on my usual overuse of EQ and compression and it really helped on this.

https://soundcloud.com/mornats/the-living-night

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1462634979' post='3044575']
Finished mine today :D

So, I went for the obvious - a sci-fi style affair, a fairly slow one with a variety of instruments - like I'd ever stick to a few instruments! My favourite being the Sound Dust Ghost Piano, a fantastic sounding instrument. My MIM precision sounds rather nice on this too (as the strings get older it sounds better and better). I held off on my usual overuse of EQ and compression and it really helped on this.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mornats/the-living-night"]https://soundcloud.c...he-living-night[/url]
[/quote]

Blimey, how many VST's?
If you had been related to Tchaikovsky, I suppose you might have used some canons as well. :D
(It does sound good though).

Impressive list.

[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]"Instruments used:[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Big Fish Audio Zodiac[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Guitar Rig 5 Pro - Traktor's 12 (Digital lofi and Beatmasher)[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Absynth[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Heavyocity Damage[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Supercharger GT[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]The Unfinished Drumstruck[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Heavyocity Evolve[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Fender Precision Bass[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Ampeg SVX[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Passive EQ[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Sound Dust Ghost Piano[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI The Giant[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Massive[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Rise and Hit[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Heavyocity Vocalise[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Spitfire Labs Scary Strings[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Indiginous Solid State Symphony[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Miroslav Philharmonik[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Loop Loft Linear Drums (midi beats)[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Voxengo OldSkoolVerb[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]NI Solid Bus Comp[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Cockos Reaper[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Focusrite Forte interface[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Komplete Kontrol S61"[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,] :lol:[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Interstate] [/font][/color]

Edited by lowdown

If I get time this month, and I hope I do..... I will keep it very stripped back and basic. Maybe bass, drums and vocals. The song is floating around in my head already and is pretty much there. I've got a nice simple bassline and chorus with an uncluttered arrangement. The picture immediately struck me with an idea which I hope I can deliver. I've listened to some of the entries so far. I like them all. There really are some clever people here.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1462817318' post='3045974']
Blimey, how many VST's?
If you had been related to Tchaikovsky, I suppose you might have used some canons as well. :D
(It does sound good though).
[/quote]

Ooh, cannons... let me check my VST list... :)