Why become a member? ×

Bottom end thump: difference between E and A strings

ingmar808

Hi. Every bass I've owned (all Fenders/Squiers) has had great bottom end on the E string, with much less thump on the A string, even when playing the same note. For example, a B played on fret 7 of the E string has more weight than a B played on fret 2 of the A string.

I suppose this is down to the physics of the string thickness and tension. it's not a big deal when playing live, and compression helps when recording – but is there any way to minimise this difference in tonality between strings? I'm thinking maybe a heavier-than-usual A, and a lighter E?

Or can anyone recommend a bass (pref P or J style) with a more uniform bottom end thump across the strings?

TIA for any advice/suggestions.

this has always troubled me, only I prefer the A string to the E string, the A string always sounds punchier and clearer to me, cuts through the mix better, whenever possible I avoid using the E string, I'm not a fan of fivers as you can imagine :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1462111650' post='3040336']
this has always troubled me, only I prefer the A string to the E string, the A string always sounds punchier and clearer to me, cuts through the mix better, whenever possible I avoid using the E string, I'm not a fan of fivers as you can imagine :)
[/quote]

I'm exactly the same, hate the sound of anything above the fourth fret on the E string.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1462111650' post='3040336']
[/quote]

Yeah, know what you mean: the A can be clearer. It depends on the type of sound you're after – I used to like a brighter, clearer 80s sound with new strings etc, but I now prefer a darker, weightier tone. And would love to have that across the bottom two strings at least.

This happens because when playing a B on the E string the note is in the centre of the string, so the fretted string being plucked is short I'm length.

When playing a B on the A string the string is longer by comparison, so the note has more movement in the the string to let the note develop... or so I heard.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462107343' post='3040291']
If you're using 45-105 gauge strings, you may find that using 50-100 instead may help with this.
[/quote]

Yep, that makes a big difference in evening things out. For some reason a lot of manufacturers use 45, 65, 80, 105 which is a big gap between the E & A. Never understood this.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1462121256' post='3040423']
For some reason a lot of manufacturers use 45, 65, 80, 105 which is a big gap between the E & A. Never understood this.
[/quote]

It is - I use Fender 9050ML flats which are 50, 65, 85 and 100.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462123121' post='3040452']
It is - I use Fender 9050ML flats which are 50, 65, 85 and 100.
[/quote]

See that makes so much more sense to me. Especially for Precisions where the D & G are over a treblier pickup as well.

Edited by Lozz196