Why become a member? ×

MIDI Control for Zoom B3

Dood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIzNqbW8-wk

Need I say more?

Just ordered the Kenton on a whim. I have a MIDI controller.. will need to get a B3, but this is exactly what I want from the B3!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1461962070' post='3039249']
A drunken lefrash can't work out if that can control tap tempo and expression pedal? Or is it a simple way to get to patch selection? That's awesome on its own.
[/quote]

I've no idea - but you'd still have access to the controls on the B3 at the same time I suppose. It's just the patch selection I wanted access to mainly. I have a Boss FC50 which is an amazing little MIDI controller that will allow me access to ten patches at a time, certainly enough for a gig without jumping to a new bank on the FC50. When I get the Kenton I'll report back!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1461962070' post='3039249']
A drunken lefrash can't work out if that can control tap tempo and expression pedal? Or is it a simple way to get to patch selection? That's awesome on its own.
[/quote]

It won't be able to control tap tempo or use the expression pedal. It also won't be able to do patch up or down - only jump to a specific patch number.

To be able to do those extra things, the midi controller needs to know about the individual effects of the Zoom pedal and be able to interrogate/listen to it.
It's possible to do that, but not with the gear in the youtube video.

Edited by drdashdot

[quote name='drdashdot' timestamp='1461982322' post='3039361']

It won't be able to control tap tempo or use the expression pedal. It also won't be able to do patch up or down - only jump to a specific patch number.

To be able to do those extra things, the midi controller needs to know about the individual effects of the Zoom pedal and be able to interrogate/listen to it.
[/quote]

Very good and concise answer. Thank you. Still very cool.

[quote name='drdashdot' timestamp='1461982322' post='3039361']

[/quote]

Excellent, jumping to a new patch is spot on and having the B3 in front of me will mean that everything else is taken care of. I'm yet to see a small solution on the market that does do all of those things, so the Kenton will have to do!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1461961057' post='3039237'] Oh wait - turns out it will work with the MS60B too! Cool, I'll crack that bad boy out first!! [/quote]

It will, dood, for what you want - if what you want is jumping to a specific patch. It'll also work in that way for just about any Zoom pedal with a USB port.

The real question is: when will you have time to program a midi controller, given your basschat posting habit?
Have you hacked the database?

[quote name='drdashdot' timestamp='1462011773' post='3039565']
Ha! I thought you might be everywhere!
How many of you are there anyway?

[/quote]

We are Dood, the collective!

It's here and it works a treat. Just had a little play, but it seems that I can now control patch changes on the B3 via my TC Electronic G System, or indeed any MIDI sending device.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1463045661' post='3048004']
So I'm guessing something like the midi mouse could do patch changes on the ms60b?
[/quote]

Yes, I guess so! I'm using the Kenton plugged in to a Boss FC50 Midi controller and in to my B3. I've not actually had a chance to get round to playing with my MS60B too, but I hope to do that sometime over the weekend... once I've finished typing 9000 words of gear reviews!

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, ratman said:

I ended up taking Dood’s Kenton MIDI/USB Host off his hands recently. It’s on my board receiving MIDI PC messages from my Boss ES5, and changing patches on my MS60B. It works a treat. 

I was just about to post about my positive experiences of the Kenton! I’m so pleased it has found a busy new home :) So simple but so effective!

Hmm.  This might be a good time to poke my head up again, to make known my alternative.  This has been available for the last 6 months or so, but I've kept it low key while gearing up.

I posted in this thread that it's possible to implement tap tempo, expression pedal control etc via midi for the B3, but not with a bog standard midi controller.  Now I'm manufacturing a controller that will do it for the B3, G3/5, MS series (except the BT100) and G/B1on series pedals.  It can control just about anything on those pedals (and controls multiple pedals.)  It also has a general purpose midi capability (including an interface to allow DAW control of Zoom pedals) which will continue to expand.  Footswitches can be programmed very flexibly too.

A midi host converter is not needed for Zoom pedal control (but if you want it to control 5 pin midi devices, a USB to midi converter is needed.)

Here's an overview which is a year old, so a bit outdated.  Follow the links on youtube for other demos, if you're interested.  Cost is US$187 for the base unit (a bit less than GBP140) plus postage from the farthest part of the world.

(A youtube update is on the to do list...)

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrC3nqqZYAI

More detail starting at: https://youtu.be/x-HkFS_LB7I

Dave

Edited by drdashdot
More information added