Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1505750213' post='3374012']

To be fair, I think I might be in the minority amongst gigging musicians in not enjoying festivals.
[/quote]

Is this your Folk-Punk ensemble going the way of all flesh? I wondered if you'd be doing either Oxjam or Hockley Hustle next month. Might finally get to hear you play!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1505568764' post='3372913']

I left another band because said "please don't do X, it really annoys me". Singer proceeded to do X thinking it funny. I said "don't do X". Next he did it onstage where he knew I could not respond... So that was it really. We played one more gig I had booked and I left and the band never played
[/quote]
We all REALLY want to know what x is now! :)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1505766674' post='3374203']

ha - we do mini sets of 1.5 to 2 hour sometimes, known as 'oh its only a short set'. 3 hours is normal, beyond that I start getting a bit annoyed!
[/quote]

If we start at 8:00, I'm just getting warmed up at 10:00. I'm so blessed to be gigging.

I'm never annoyed. When that happens it's time to throw in the towel for me.

Blue

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1505767437' post='3374211']

Is this your Folk-Punk ensemble going the way of all flesh? I wondered if you'd be doing either Oxjam or Hockley Hustle next month. Might finally get to hear you play!
[/quote]

The band, 5 Hiils Out, found a replacement and is carrying on I'm glad to say. It was all amicable and they put a nice 'obituary' for me on their Facebook page. 😄
I'll have more spare time to come and see you now John!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1505802094' post='3374331']
The band, 5 Hiils Out, found a replacement and is carrying on I'm glad to say. It was all amicable and they put a nice 'obituary' for me on their Facebook page.
I'll have more spare time to come and see you now John!
[/quote]

Just as well i got to see you in the band. To be fair to your band leader I would have thought that festivals would be a pretty staple market for 5 Hills Out kind of material so if you don't want to play them it's probably best to move on.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505755741' post='3374080']
Your probably right.

We play 4 hour nights for $500.00 and pub gigs are closer to 2 hours for $250.00. Pretty much the same

Blue
[/quote]
Wow! That is almost as bad as Nashville no-name money!
UK I have been getting about 450 uk pounds for club dates and about 250 for pubs. This regardless of if it is the 4 piece band or the trio etc.... even get 150 and more doing a solo!
But now I am mostly doing self-indulgent originals/obscure sh*t gigs the money is ludicrous, of course. Between 35 and 50 a man....

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1506074845' post='3376252']

Wow! That is almost as bad as Nashville no-name money!
UK I have been getting about 450 uk pounds for club dates and about 250 for pubs. This regardless of if it is the 4 piece band or the trio etc.... even get 150 and more doing a solo!
But now I am mostly doing self-indulgent originals/obscure sh*t gigs the money is ludicrous, of course. Between 35 and 50 a man....
[/quote]

I would love to move up to 1.5 hour 200 seat headliner gigs for 2k.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506125735' post='3376664']
I would love to move up to 1.5 hour 200 seat headliner gigs for 2k.

Blue
[/quote]

Mathematics doesnt work out too well on that one, Blue. 200 punters x 10 bucks gives you your 2k but doesnt cover anything else. In the UK you would have to be doing at least 3-400 seaters to stand a chance of getting that sort of money & of course you then fall foul of the classic "We make a grand a night once or twice a month" versus "We make 500 a night four or five times a month" syndrome.
I am like you - love to gig, so would be doing what I am doing right now. Any place any time anywhere for silly money because I dont really need the bigger $$ any more. :D

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1506235258' post='3377155']

Mathematics doesnt work out too well on that one, Blue. 200 punters x 10 bucks gives you your 2k but doesnt cover anything else. In the UK you would have to be doing at least 3-400 seaters to stand a chance of getting that sort of money & of course you then fall foul of the classic "We make a grand a night once or twice a month" versus "We make 500 a night four or five times a month" syndrome.
I am like you - love to gig, so would be doing what I am doing right now. Any place any time anywhere for silly money because I dont really need the bigger $$ any more. :D
[/quote]

I get where your coming from, however I should have provided more detail. I was really thinking about the bands touring in the States that are getting $20.00- $30.00 a pop.

Brand X played a small club in Milwaukee last week and they were charging $30.00.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1506273083' post='3377504']
So six grand gross take. After all the exes I would be surprised if they took home 2k between them even so.

Its tough at the top AND at the bottom, evidently! :D
[/quote]

2k between 4 guys is "big time" for guys like me.

Blue

• 1 year later...

I'm having so many reasons to rant, lack of motivation, depressive thoughts, that I'm wondering if I should just quit at this point. Maybe do everything myself.

Bandmate not practicing and not working on composition at home

Bandmate cancelling reharsals repeatedly, or leaving early, or being late for futile reasons/other things to do

Bandmate avoiding discussion (not answering etc) and I suspect sometimes lying to me too.

Bandmate caring not so much about It in general

Why am I still here...

Edited by oZZma

3 hours ago, oZZma said:

I'm having so many reasons to rant, lack of motivation, depressive thoughts, that I'm wondering if I should just quit at this point. Maybe do everything myself.

Bandmate not practicing and not working on composition at home

Bandmate cancelling reharsals repeatedly, or leaving early, or being late for futile reasons/other things to do

Bandmate avoiding discussion (not answering etc) and I suspect sometimes lying to me too.

Bandmate caring not so much about It in general

Why am I still here...

Leave it mate.

It's not our ideal set up but a drummer and I play in a drums/bass duo. We only rely on each other now. And while it'd be nice to get a guitarist in (we play ambient/post-rock stuff) it's just not worth the agro because of all those reasons you've listed above.

6 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Leave it mate.

It's not our ideal set up but a drummer and I play in a drums/bass duo. We only rely on each other now. And while it'd be nice to get a guitarist in (we play ambient/post-rock stuff) it's just not worth the agro because of all those reasons you've listed above.

Yeah. Fact is, I am already in a bass/drums duo. And I can't even rely on my drummer. And I know if I leave, I will never find another. I've been there, I think I have known every f**king drummer in this town. I'll be alone.

Edited by oZZma

22 minutes ago, oZZma said:

Yeah. Fact is, I am already in a bass/drums duo. And I can't even rely on my drummer. And I know if I leave, I will never find another. I've been there, I think I have known every f**king drummer in this town. I'll be alone.

How about amending your set so you can perform it solo? I was playing solo up until I got together with this latest drummer.

Edited by thebassist
  • Like 1

When I think about it, the set we play is actually relatively similar to my solo set. It's just a lot heavier in places because of the dynamics and general options that a drummer gives you. So you could develop a solo set while looking out for a drummer who could come in and compliment what you're doing. If you find someone, then great, but if you don't, then there isn't anybody holding up your progress and annoying you.

Edited by thebassist

15 minutes ago, thebassist said:

How about amending your set so you can perform it solo? I was playing solo up until I got together with this latest guy.

I could, but I'm not happy with the idea. Not happy at all. This was my last and only contact with humans and motivation to get out of my bedroom. It will not turn out well.

Maybe a fresh drive to recruit a guitarist / singer / keyboard player might re-enthuse your drummer?

I know that its difficult to find people, but having a plan & the possibility of changing things might breathe fresh life into the project.

I'd stick it out for now, speak to your drummer & try to change things - if it doesn't work, at least you gave it a shot.

Good luck oZZma 👍

21 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Maybe a fresh drive to recruit a guitarist / singer / keyboard player might re-enthuse your drummer?

I tried... I don't know if it's the genre, or people too lazy to play more than once a week, or I stink, but any attempt in that direction has been unsuccessful

3 hours ago, ubit said:

When it’s a supposed democracy that turns out to be ruled by a dictator

Right on the money!  A couple of times I've been lured into bands with the promise of much jamming and egalitarian creativity, only to realise some weeks later that the general form from the guitarist is, "I wrote a song... learn it."

Other reasons have included people not learning songs, not turning up to rehearsal, being more interested in talking about being in a band than actually doing it, and on one occasion a drummer being dumped by his gf and making the whole band suffer too for weeks, getting a hissy fit if he fluffed a fill and kicking his kit around the room before storming off to sulk in his bedroom.

23 minutes ago, odysseus said:

Right on the money!  A couple of times I've been lured into bands with the promise of much jamming and egalitarian creativity, only to realise some weeks later that the general form from the guitarist is, "I wrote a song... learn it."

Our guitarist, my mate, was passively aggressive. We would all agree on a song. He might say I’m not that keen. We would say well  look , the rest of us want to do it. Next week, did you learn that song? No, but I learned this, try it. It used to boil my wee

• Like 2