Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493847670' post='3291320']
[b]A good example of what happens in one way or the other to 99% of start ups and why I personally never recommend them[/b].

The thing that really bothers me about failed start ups is leaving an overall bad and wrong impression of what being in a band is all about.

Blue
[/quote]

If bands didnt start up there would be no bands for you to join though. would there? In most instances its also the only way to get a band together with the same musical mindset as your own. Sometimes you have to take the lead, I cant always be a follower.

I've quit two bands so far.

First one was a covers pub band. Songist is very much into his own comfort songs. Not willing to learn new current tracks. Took too long to get ready for gigs (8 months rehearsing). Guitarist is fine, actually I quite like playing with him. Good tone, good playing. But comes up with some weird and obscure songs to add to the setlist from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I like playing with him and those songs but it's not really a song many people would know. So I left with a friendly note on why. I heard they are still going (I'm neighbours with drummer) but with ever changing line up. They don't have permanent players aside from the drummer and the songist.

Second I left was all originals, all members are about my age. We got on well together. Nice guys. We recorded some songs last year. But have no idea of how to level our volumes on stage when playing. Either the drums was so loud or the guitars with mid scooped EQ. Songist can barely be heard. I tried hinting a couple of times but not really taking it. So, I left in good terms.

Currently playing in a function band. All experienced members. Only rehearsed for 3 times and we already have a full setlist ready. And some gigs lined up. Happy days.

Ironically, we do play sex on fire - one of the pubs insisted we played it, so we added it for them and it turns out that for whatever reason people go mad for that song. It never fails to get everyone going. I have no idea why, I think it is a very nothing song.
I was against it to start with and still dislike it, but the audience love it so I put up with it.

However, I do have some red lines with the group (wonderwall as you say is there), because sometimes it matters whether you are part of the group or just the hired help. If you are the hired help, that is fine as long as you know it, but it does mean that it doesn't require the same level of commitment.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497261179' post='3316811']

I don't want a race to mediocracy and being like every other band, but there really are a lot of songs that are good and well known that don't get played a lot that are good in public.
[/quote]

This. Very much this.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1497262455' post='3316824']
I'm not suggesting we play Sex On Fire or Wonderwall, but I am suggesting we play songs that people know and like.

Yes I am a member of the band and yes I do feel like a hired hand at times. As you say, my walking away is probably inevitable.
[/quote]

Paul,

If its the band I'm thinking of, yes your setlist is a bit obscure - certainly from that experience of seeing you in Warwick...

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1497262672' post='3316826']

If bands didnt start up there would be no bands for you to join though. would there? In most instances its also the only way to get a band together with the same musical mindset as your own. Sometimes you have to take the lead, I cant always be a follower.
[/quote]

I can't argue against your point. I'm in no position to join a start up because it usually means no gigs and no income.

Blue

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1497290172' post='3317093']

Paul,

If its the band I'm thinking of, yes your setlist is a bit obscure - certainly from that experience of seeing you in Warwick...
[/quote]

Yep same band Mark.

Although I have my own stories, my favourite reason for quitting a band has to be an ex-drummers' from a band I am in.
He quit because none of us could be bothered to use doodle to arrange rehearsals! He got frustrated & quit! That's why. ;)
We have a better drummer now & exchange a few emails to make date & time arrangements.

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1497333760' post='3317296']
He quit because none of us could be bothered to use doodle to arrange rehearsals! He got frustrated & quit! That's why. ;)
[/quote]

I had to look that one up, never knew there was such a thing. We just have a group chat and someone says 'tuesday?' no, busy on tuesday, wed and thurs ok, 'I am busy on wednesday' 'ok I will book for thursday'. Seems to work.

Guest McBass

Local Function Band i played for....was more like a Jail Sentence. They paid me less for occasionally "reading a couple of tunes off chord charts", their roadies damaged my EBS rig, tried to glue it back together and denied it, and the final straw was trying to cut short one of my Student's wedding. The drummer has the best polished kit in town and cant count himself into tunes and keys player was master of the key transpose function on his Tyros, hilarious when he got it wrong. :yarr:

When a band no longer can provide or meet the requirements you set up for yourself before joining, it's time to move on.If you don't know why you joined a band, I don't know what you do.

Even if you joined for fun, when the fun stops, I would think it's time to look elsewhere.

For me it's simple. When the money stream dries up it's time to start looking. And for guys that depend on the money you don't quit until you find something better.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1497380091' post='3317732']
A drummer that couldn't keep time and couldn't come out if fills at the right time!
[/quote]

Dealing with this problem at the moment. Trouble is the guy is such a nice bloke with a wicked dry wit ...very funny, good to be around etc..BUT!...and Ive never seen this before.
He holds his sticks with his index fingers placed rigidly on the top of the sticks which means his wrists are stiff and the groove is suffering. Maybe I'll stay , maybe I'll go or maybe at my age I should stop worrying bout these things and just enjoy what we got. The upside is the keys is a cathedral organist. He's an amazing musician who can play and sound like anything at a drop of a hat.

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1497380091' post='3317732']
A drummer that couldn't keep time and couldn't come out if fills at the right time!
[/quote]

Been there. Unfortunately an unstable drummer upsets the whole band.

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1497420506' post='3317912']
Maybe I'll stay, maybe I'll go or maybe at my age I should stop worrying about these things and just enjoy what we got.
[/quote]

That's pretty much where I am at the moment.

I'm having second thoughts about my current band at the moment.
Guitarist is a serious control freak and knows all (even when he is prooved wrong he changes his tale and say that he meant the correct thing all the time). We have lost a drummer because of him and he has brought a new drummer in that i have to play BPM roulette ever practice and gig making it so hard to lock in.
We are currently looking at a new singer (not because the old one is crap, he has an originals band that is starting to do things and can't always commit straight away but is a absolute top guy).
Second guitarist is only doing the band because of me and the singer and i book all gigs which is a nightmare for a niche tribute act. And when i ask for help with them they all say that they hate sorting out things like that. Starting to dread practice i have this Wednesday.
Frustrating thing is i love the live gigs when we do them and the material is not something i was fully aware of before i started playing it so it has been a good chalange for me.......hmmmm

[quote name='milesBguitar' timestamp='1497646820' post='3319837']
I'm having second thoughts about my current band at the moment.
Guitarist is a serious control freak and knows all (even when he is prooved wrong he changes his tale and say that he meant the correct thing all the time). We have lost a drummer because of him and he has brought a new drummer in that i have to play BPM roulette ever practice and gig making it so hard to lock in.
We are currently looking at a new singer (not because the old one is crap, he has an originals band that is starting to do things and can't always commit straight away but is a absolute top guy).
Second guitarist is only doing the band because of me and the singer and i book all gigs which is a nightmare for a niche tribute act. And when i ask for help with them they all say that they hate sorting out things like that. Starting to dread practice i have this Wednesday.
Frustrating thing is i love the live gigs when we do them and the material is not something i was fully aware of before i started playing it so it has been a good chalange for me.......hmmmm
[/quote]

A classic example of the guy that doesn't know how to be in a band or work with people.

Unless your in it for the money, it sounds like it's time to move on to a better match and a band that's fun to be in.

Unless your paying me a ton of money, I have no tolerance for "know it alls"

Good luck Miles. Keep us updated.

Blue

Edited by blue

So no chances of kicking him out or hooking up with the old drummer and the other guitarist and continuing that way? Seems if you have some people who can work together with part of a set already, you could be up and running as another group in no times, and if you are getting the gigs no problem getting them for the new one

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497657340' post='3319916']
So no chances of kicking him out or hooking up with the old drummer and the other guitarist and continuing that way? Seems if you have some people who can work together with part of a set already, you could be up and running as another group in no times, and if you are getting the gigs no problem getting them for the new one
[/quote]

No not really its his band( as in came up with the idea, but thats where it ends)to be fair. Old drummer has started up an originals band and has is alos doing an OU course.
Second guitarist is busy as has a new baby due in the next few weeks.

Just all coming to a head at the wrong time. If i left inwould probably walk away from music for a while to be fair. Tired of the battle to just have fun.

[quote name='milesBguitar' timestamp='1497762050' post='3320392']
If i left inwould probably walk away from music for a while to be fair. Tired of the battle to just have fun.
[/quote]

Maybe not such a bad thing, best to leave while you still want to do it then have it fall apart around you and never want to go back.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1497781613' post='3320499']
I'm a miserable bastard and nobody likes me. That's usually my reason for leaving...
[/quote]

I'm the cheerleader for my band. Always upbeat and funny, telling jokes and keeping everyone in good spirit

If a band member is really down I will do the invisible bear hump and that will fix everything.

Hard to have a bad time when your humping an invisible bear 🐻

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497799801' post='3320601']

I'm the cheerleader for my band. Always upbeat and funny, telling jokes and keeping everyone in good spirit

If a band member is really down I will do the invisible bear hump and that will fix everything.

Hard to have a bad time when your humping an invisible bear 🐻

Blue
[/quote]
Not if you're the bear ;-)