Why become a member? ×

The bass you'll never sell

keefbaker

I've sold every bass that I resolutely said Id never sell.

Except my BC Rich Eagle.

But I'm not going to say it, in case I jinx it!

I do still also have the Hondo Ricky copy my mum bought me when I was 17 and it currently adorns one of the walls in my son's bedroom.

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1461834475' post='3037952']
One bass? My Gibson RD Artist. My wife bought me it and it's an amazing, quirky bass which I love both owning and playing.

There are others which would be a real gut punch to have to get rid of because of the work gone into making them what they are - Gibson Victory Artist and Ripper - both restored from states of dilapidation and my Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard tricked out with EMG goodness. But ultimately if I had to only keep one, it's the RD.
[/quote]

Aha! someone who owns a Ripper and an RD. Very jealous, and I have a question for you. My Ripper has been my main gigging bass for years now. I have tried many others but always go back to the Ripper because I just love playing on that neck but I am not really a fan of the body shape. The RDs quite apeal to me to but never having had the chance to try one I have always wondered if the neck feels anything like a Ripper neck?

My best and favourite is a mid 80s 32" scale MIJ Squier A series Precision. White aged to cream with a white plate and rosewood board. Electrics had been upgraded by the time it came into my hands and now sports a quality loom and pots with Fender Original pup. Sounds like the Precision bass in my head should, weighs around 7lbs, has a neck that pretty much plays itself. I have had and do have basses that are much more valuable but this is simply the best Precision I have ever had in my mitts and the one I will keep until I stop playing.

Sorry Ted.

:)

I've always felt that if the house was on fire & I could only grab one, it'd be this:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/CSL%20Jazz/CSLresize1_zpskufavwxd.jpg.html"][/url]

I've had this for about 12 or 13 years - it's a Japanese CSL Jazz copy from 1980-ish, which I paid £60 for from a local pawn shop. When I bought it, it looked like this:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/CSL%20Jazz/CSLoriginal%20upscale_zpswmli7jh0.jpg.html"][/url]

My intention was to give it a wipe, replace the missing scratchplate, bung some new strings on it and flip it for (hopefully) 3 times what I paid - which was something I was doing a fair bit of back then.

The fly in the ointment was that it was, with no restoration or setup at all, the nicest-playing bass I'd ever had in my hands. So over the years, it got a few new bits - Schaller 3D bridge, DiMarzio Model Js (period-correct, I think) and a stack knob plate. Now it sounds as good as it plays - and I think looks the part too, it's been my go-to bass for anything/everything since I got it and really makes me question why on earth I have so many others!

Jon.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1461857677' post='3038279']
None. I am not sentimental about my kit.

I have basses I like and love more than others, but they are all fair game if the needs come along, as long as I still have one to play.
[/quote]

I agree entirely, I am less likely to part with the basses I have put together myself purely because because they wouldn't sell for the price they cost to build, so it's a case of keep um and play um I guess

I'll never sell my Vigier. I've had it for 10 years now, it's been my main - and mostly only - bass for the majority of the time I've been working on Basschat/Basstalk/Bassworld and it's been adjusted, modified and worked on by lots of BCers throughout the years. It's not only a truly fantastic instrument but a real tangible piece of the BC story, to me.

Three for me. First off, my two Wal basses. Simply because they are my perfect basses and I cannot conceive of universe where I wasn't playing them as my two main basses...

And finally, for hugely sentimental reasons, my Aria SB700. It was my first bass and my 18th birthday present from my mum and dad.

Given that I've owned them since 1982, 1992 and 2001 respectively I think I can be pretty confident in the "not going to sell them" stance...

Edited by TrevorR

I would have said that my old 4003 was the one that I'd keep, but I ended up having to sell it.

I now have 2 RikenFaker's that are more than ample replacements for it.

But I get the feeling that my "keeper" is the G&L L2000 Tribute I've been trying to sell for the last year or so. :D

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1461880675' post='3038534']
I would have said that my old 4003 was the one that I'd keep, but I ended up having to sell it.

I now have 2 RikenFaker's that are more than ample replacements for it.

But I get the feeling that my "keeper" is the G&L L2000 Tribute I've been trying to sell for the last year or so. :D
[/quote]Is it green?

My 1990 MiJ '62 reissue jazz bass, had it since about '94 and despite owning around 160 other basses in that time, it's always been my go to. Over the years it's had a graphite neck, east preamp, stickers, pearl pickguard, etc etc
But it's current version is my favourite; maple block neck with stripes and wizard GAFfer pickups; it's earned its scars well
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by gafbass02

I have a Mexican P bass 2013 and a Squier VM Jazz. Its unlikely that I will sell either because they are both perfectly good basses and worth far more to me to keep than the lowish price I would get if I sold them.

I am generally more dissatisfied with expensive basses because I expect them to be perfect and I get annoyed when they are not, so I sell them. With the two current basses I know that they are not high end instruments, they are not perfect and I can accept that more because of their relatively low value.

This might sound like twisted logic, hanging onto something because I know its not perfect! Does this make sense?!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461848052' post='3038163']

Sensible man.
I assume it's an old USA one?
[/quote]

It's kind of a hybrid USA/Japanese model I think, or a very early NJ series one.

I say that because although it's not the exotic custom one with all the fancy active electronics, it has some features such as the through neck that weren't on the later NJ series.

Whatever it is, it's still the bass I would call my 'go to' bass for gigs, rehearsals or any very occasional recording.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1461917763' post='3038658']

It's kind of a hybrid USA/Japanese model I think, or a very early NJ series one.

I say that because although it's not the exotic custom one with all the fancy active electronics, it has some features such as the through neck that weren't on the later NJ series.

Whatever it is, it's still the bass I would call my 'go to' bass for gigs, rehearsals or any very occasional recording.
[/quote]

Lovely!