Why become a member? ×

The Floyd Rose Bridge

Schnozzalee

So my friend gave me his Guitar to set up, which has a Floyd Rose Bridge (German Original Model)...

I've owned 4 Floyd Rose Guitars in the past, but this is the first time I've had to set one up from scratch.

After reading all the hate on the forums etc, I prepared myself for the worst and after using the following methods:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8GkhvZMp4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=5W8GkhvZMp4[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_nOYkRed3I"]https://www.youtube....h?v=V_nOYkRed3I[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uPvABrN7sA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4uPvABrN7sA[/url]

I was surprised to find that it set up like pretty much any other Tremolo Bridge and probably took me the same amount of time.

The only inconvenience with Double Locking Tremolos is the need for Allen Keys (x2), although I have seen brackets to hold them on the back of the headstock.

I've come to the conclusion that the main benefit is managing to get through a solo without the string binding at the nut.

The extra tuning time cancels itself out, because you rarely have to fine tune thereafter.

Can't help but wonder why they get such a bad reputation, it's a nice bit of kit!

Bigsbys on the other hand...

Edited by Schnozzalee

Had three original Floyds on guitars, two Kramer Barettas and a Hamer Steve Stevens. Absolutely love them. Stay in tune for ever if they're set up well. Considering all three guitars were already well used when I bought them, I never had any problems whatsoever after I set them up.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1461787968' post='3037710']
Had three original Floyds on guitars, two Kramer Barettas and a Hamer Steve Stevens....
[/quote]

Ooh, Hamer Steve Stevens, lovely guitar.
Was yours a mk 1 or 2 model? What colour was it? (they came in some great finishes!).

I love Floyd Rose trems. I think the terrible reputation comes from people who do not know how to set them up.

I sold an Epiphone Flying V with a Floyd because it would never - never, ever, ever - stay in tune. Now I know how to set them up, I kick myself for selling it!

Now...a black Strat, rosewood board, chrome Floyd...yes please!

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1462034362' post='3039842']
Now...a black Strat, rosewood board, chrome Floyd...yes please!
[/quote]

It is bizarre that you can't buy a Fender American Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose

Interested to hear about Kahlers, as that's another one that gets a bad rep...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1462034827' post='3039847']
It is bizarre that you can't buy a Fender American Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose

Interested to hear about Kahlers, as that's another one that gets a bad rep...
[/quote]

I'm thinking going the Warmoth route...

I have never used a Kahler. Not sure I have even seen one in the flesh.

• 1 month later...

A lot of folks seem t have trouble 'chasing' the tuning after they're set up. I've always found the best way is to tune from the middle outwards - seems to make a huge difference to the amount of time to bring the unit up to pitch both when tuning and also after it's locked up and fine tuning it.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1462041325' post='3039921']

I'm thinking going the Warmoth route...

I have never used a Kahler. Not sure I have even seen one in the flesh.
[/quote]

I've got a kahler on my strat copy.. Never played a Floyd to compare but ...

The roller bridge saddles are locked in place and are great for palm muting.

The ball ends aren't clamped in place so heavy dive bombing can cause them to unseat and result in tuning issues.

There's an Allen key bolt to lock the trem in place. Mine stays locked. No real tuning issues with it unlocked but I never use the arm. I'd replace it with a hardtail but its too much work for a guitar I rarely use.

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1466414801' post='3075568']
A lot of folks seem t have trouble 'chasing' the tuning after they're set up. I've always found the best way is to tune from the middle outwards - seems to make a huge difference to the amount of time to bring the unit up to pitch both when tuning and also after it's locked up and fine tuning it.
[/quote]
:facepalm:
Why has this never occurred to me before! Seems obvious now you mention it (especially on my non-floyd Strat, set to float) thank you.
:)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1466418126' post='3075595']
I had a Maverick with a licensed Floyd clone, and I could never get the top E up to pitch! Never had a problem with the Bigsby on my Gretsch:

[/quote]

Nice Matchless!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461841285' post='3038047']
Ooh, Hamer Steve Stevens, lovely guitar.
Was yours a mk 1 or 2 model? What colour was it? (they came in some great finishes!).
[/quote]

Sorry, just seen your question.

It was a MK1 in the white pearlescent finish, stock Dimarzios HSS. Never went out of tune, even after serious dive-bombing. Harmonics to die for, and probably the biggest mistake ever in selling it.

• 3 months later...

I have Floyd designed trems on my MSG's and I'm still struggling to see what the benefits are over a floating vintage trem and a teflon/tusq nut. I'm finding the string tension is a bit much though, maybe I need to go back to 9's rather than 10's.

^ Agree, 9's are always best with Floyd Rose Bridges IMO.

I've never tried the bridge on the MSG (nice guitar btw!), but I tend to avoid custom innovations in case I need parts (the ESP Sinclair/Synclair was a nightmare).

Trevor Wilkinson nails the reason why the Open G on Vintage Trems never stays in tune - I'll try and find the video.

I have a T-O-M and Locking Tuners, but it still doesn't do what the Floyd Rose does, as I can do 10 bendy solos on the Floyd and it'll still be in tune.