Why become a member? ×

Need decent small headphone amp

markdavid

Hi,am after getting a small headphone amp and am after suggestions,i want something very,very small e.g something that can fit in a small bag,also it must have an aux input.

Have been looking at the amplug but i have read very mixed reviews on it and tbh if it sounds like poo then i would rather not buy it,have also looked at the electro harmonix headphone amp but there is no aux input so that is out of the question

Any suggestions? Thanks

Forget Amplugs and similar - they are all crap. Spend a little more and get a really good one. I now swear by PJB stuff. I have a Bass Buddy, which is fantastic but admittedly largish and expensive. This, however, is probably closer to what you're looking for: [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/pjb-bighead-multi-function-bass-preheadphone-amplifier/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/pjb-bighead-multi-function-bass-preheadphone-amplifier/[/url]

Problem with them is they don't typically have inputs with the correct impedance for hooking up a passive bass direct - it will work but will sound very muddy. No problem plugging straight into the line in if you have an active bass, or are using a pedal in between that buffers the signal (which means pretty much any pedal switched on or some are also buffered in bypass mode like Boss pedals).

I've used either a DI box into a Behringer Micromon MA400 or a pedal into a cheapo Behringer mixer before with good results!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1461659993' post='3036452']
Problem with them is they don't typically have inputs with the correct impedance for hooking up a passive bass direct - it will work but will sound very muddy. No problem plugging straight into the line in if you have an active bass, or are using a pedal in between that buffers the signal (which means pretty much any pedal switched on or some are also buffered in bypass mode like Boss pedals).

I've used either a DI box into a Behringer Micromon MA400 or a pedal into a cheapo Behringer mixer before with good results!
[/quote] thanks, so if i use my boss bass eq pedal this should sort out the impedance mismatch if i decide to go the mixing desk route?

Any chance a smartphone would do the job? I can't think of anything smaller. I use Amp kit on my iPhone for learning songs at home now and it works really well. Got Spotify/iTunes/YouTube on tap.

I also used to use my Zoom B3 and that worked very well, but i found I didn't use it enough to keep it. I wouldn't try it with the Zoom 60B though.

Edited by dave_bass5

As an electronics engineer, the Cafe Walter HA-1A always appealed http://cafewalter.com/ha-1a/ha-1a/ but it has been discontinued to be replaced by the HA-2 sometime soon . However the technical info on the HA-1A on the site gives an insight into what a good headphone amp should be.

As for the Amplug, it is what is is. Not perfect but if you lay off the "effects" it does a job. It also seeme to pick up less noise that either my Zoom B3 or Korg AX3000B when used on headphones.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1461740234' post='3037179']
Any chance a smartphone would do the job? I can't think of anything smaller. I use Amp kit on my iPhone for learning songs at home now and it works really well. Got Spotify/iTunes/YouTube on tap.

I also used to use my Zoom B3 and that worked very well, but i found I didn't use it enough to keep it. I wouldn't try it with the Zoom 60B though.
[/quote]

Definitely, I have a Line6 Sonic Port that does a great job. Much better amp sims available than on the Zoom - I've bought them all and actually prefer the Ampeg sims recently added to the free Garageband app! Like the Zoom it doesn't drive my headphones very loud, but if you have lower impedance cans you should be fine. Or there are tons of alternative interfaces out there that probably have better headphone amps in them.

Can't believe some of the responses on here, especially if the OP simply wants something tiny with aux to practice and play along with. I've used Amplug for a few years now with apple earbuds and it is a great little piece of kit. Sounds absolutely fine and goes everywhere with me.

Unless I'm missing something here, exactly what is the downside of the Amplug?

Another satisfied Amplug User here; so good I've got two of 'em..! The bass version has a couple of amp emulations and some drum beats; it can, of course, accept an Aux in, too. No problem with them here, and unbeatable for portability.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1461671234' post='3036584']
thanks, so if i use my boss bass eq pedal this should sort out the impedance mismatch if i decide to go the mixing desk route?
[/quote]

Yes, you could go from that to a standard line input on any mixer no probs!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i now have an amplug 2, this is an improvement over the zoom however this is still somewhat mid heavy, interestingly the amplug is very very responsive to different strings,my mustang with ernie ball flats sounds good through it,played a p/j bass through it with ghs flats and it was very low mid heavy