Why become a member? ×

Newtone Strings

Chienmortbb

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. I had a set of 5 light intermediate round-wound double ball ended strings from them. I find them okay although I am no string connoisseur.

I liked that they were ready two weeks before Rattle and Drum rang me to say they'd got some for me. I had to turn theirs down. I find it objectionable that a local shop is unable to get strings in quickly enough and blames it on Internet suppliers. Come on guys, you aren't even trying.

I tried them, I usually use D'Addario EXL, I can compare to them... I ordered round core and nickel plated, less tension than D'Addario, a little softer feeling and a little less aggressive on the upper mids, so I think they are similar in tone and feel to Sunbeams but they have a better price, you can order custom sets... good in life too. I never tried hex core ones but at the end I like how D'Addario EXL sounds and feels on my basses.

I ordered a custom set of 50-110 (which was my usual gauge at the time) but with a thicker core so that they wouldn't lose tension as I tuned down to C# (all strings down three semitones). The first set they sent me was a Drop D set and the second set was (I'm sure) just a standard set of strings; I used them until recently strung up to E. They were decent enough and not too expensive, but I couldn't be bothered sending them back again and just made the switch to a 5-string set for the tuning I use. The service has put me off using them again.

I have them on a short scale bass and find the tension and feel better than others I have tried. Sound really suits the bass which is a ACG Skelf short scale, should mean something if a luthier is supplying them as standard.

Brilliant strings and they will custom wind to your needs too.
I have a couple of short scale ACG basses, one of them being a 6 string tuned B to C. There's obviously some luthier voodoo in there to make it work, but the Newtone strings definitely play a big part. Besides this, they also sound and feel really really nice too.
Highly recommended!

I also hope they start making Flatwounds soon...

Eude

Edited by eude

I have used several different brands over the years and have no complaints about the SIT strings they are an excellent mid range string.

I have been using the shorts ale strings for several years and the full range for about a year now.
I was going to continue using the SIT strings in the Standard Series and keep the Newtone Strings for the higher spec instruments but once they are used up I will be sticking with Neil.
However I wanted a custom set to achieve what I wanted with regard to string construction and feel. I also wanted shorter scale strings again with specific requirements. I build quite a few shorts scale basses now so that was important.

Edited by skelf

I bought a set with 'heavier cores' to help downtuning after some rave reviews on this site. I thought that they were decent but did not see any difference compared with any other string of a similar gauge. Also the gauges I ordered were slightly different from the gauges I received. I didn't complain because .5 of a gauge is hardly worth kicking a fuss over.

They were good to deal with as a company and I have no complaints about the price or general quality of the strings. I just can't personally give them a glowing review and doubt I would order them again when I can just buy a set D'addarios that I can find more easily and prefer using anyway.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1469711783' post='3100547']
Are they doing flats yet ?
[/quote]

Not when I spoke to Neil a couple of months ago, they were still exploring and researching them :)
Soon hopefully

Si

Took a punt on a set of platinum a little while ago, not really expecting them to beat out my current favourites (Kalium) but I must say I was very pleasantly surprised indeed! Really smooth feeling, not too zingy and the string to string balance is very even.

Would certainly be interested in their take on a flat wound string as well.

• 4 years later...

I have a question regarding these Newtones strings, that I only recently found out about.

I am migrating from nickel hex core (mostly D'addarios) to nickel round core as these days I favor a softer tension in strings. I have tried DR Sunbeams and Foderas, I liked both, with a slight preference for the Foderas that have a slightly higher tension and longer life than the DRs. Here in EU, both brands are quite expensive, around 35 euros for the 4 stings set and 45 euros for the 5 string set.

Newtones appear to be the only EU-based maker producing round core strings, and a bit less expensive, because more local that the US based makers ... however, soundwise and feel-wise, how would you compare them to the Sunbeams (and maybe even to the Fodera for those who may have tried them) ?

Thanks !

16 hours ago, Sven said:

I have a question regarding these Newtones strings, that I only recently found out about.

I am migrating from nickel hex core (mostly D'addarios) to nickel round core as these days I favor a softer tension in strings. I have tried DR Sunbeams and Foderas, I liked both, with a slight preference for the Foderas that have a slightly higher tension and longer life than the DRs. Here in EU, both brands are quite expensive, around 35 euros for the 4 stings set and 45 euros for the 5 string set.

Newtones appear to be the only EU-based maker producing round core strings, and a bit less expensive, because more local that the US based makers ... however, soundwise and feel-wise, how would you compare them to the Sunbeams (and maybe even to the Fodera for those who may have tried them) ?

Thanks !

Hey mate, I have used Newtone strings for many years now, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I always favoured DR Sun Beams as my go to string, although I preferred the bite of the Nickel Lo Riders, sometimes.

I moved over to Newtones and I haven't looked back, they feel quite like Sun Beams, perhaps a little higher in tension, but that is something you can discuss this with Neil, all the strings are custom hand wound and can be tweaked to your liking. Sound wise, I would say the Nickels have a little more bite than Sun Beams, but as with all strings, that can die back a little over time.

Cheers,
Eude

Oh, and just for reference, I'm now using hex cores. I play 31.5" basses, so we came to hex cores as a compromise to ape the feel of a regular 105 (E) set on 34" but with the shorter scale, and slightly lighter gauges, 125/100/80/60/40/28 (for my 6 string basses). Neil is a magician, he'll be able to make you whatever you need :) 

Eude