Why become a member? ×

Talk Bass Eh?

Billy Apple

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1462315482' post='3042141']
I've had conversations (PM's) with several TB members from the US, South America and Hong Kong.

I have never been in a fight with anyone on TB. My experience is that everyone I've talked to and posted with has been a regular, helpful, normal guy
[/quote]

Got to say that this has been my experience also. You'll always get ***holes on ALL forums and I think it's unfair to tar the whole of TB with the one brush.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1462355465' post='3042271']
I only go on the AMPS section on TB.
I learnt how to bias my Ampeg SVT 3 Pro and have since passed on the info to others.
Always found there to be some technically knowledgeable posters.
[/quote]

That's my main hang. Some of the techs and engineers there are really top shelf people, even more so if you get the chance to meet up with them face to face. I've met well over 200 Talkbass members in what passes for real life, and would only hesitate to have one or two out of those come to my house with expectations of an enjoyable dinner. It's a pretty large forum and there are plenty of people who rub me the wrong way though, of course.

It may also bear comment that TB does not allow threads about other forums, and all the other four bass oriented forums I frequent do. Could be just a little jealousy at work there in a few cases, I think.

I remember once getting involved in a thread on Talkbass in which someone had asked why they kept hearing people mispronunce Rickenbacker as Rickenbocker, whereupon there ensued a great long thread which basically concluded that Rickenbacker don't know how to spell their own name and of course it should be pronounced Rickenbocker - etc etc etc or Richenbacher even - oo er!!!

I'd forgotten until I read this thread and more importantly caught a bit of a radio 2 show (there's an admission of my demographic!!) when driving at the weekend, which was about Erasure and particularly about a cover they did of a famous pop song.

The American lady commentating/ dejaying was saying what a remarkable cover of an Obboh song this was - it immediately brought the Talkbass thread flooding back - I must admit I've never heard Abba mispronounced before...... or maybe they spell their name wrong as well ha ha .......

However all that aside I quite like it sometimes. As fur clubs - well yes being #1654 in the P Bass or Stingray club seems a little run of the mill - however if you have something a little more obscure and are one of say 50 or so it can add to the interest when new members join and there's interraction on the subject of the bass type.

Edited by drTStingray