Why become a member? ×

Talk Bass Eh?

Billy Apple

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1461589371' post='3035870']
Sounds like Spector is the TB equivalent of Barefaced on here!!
[/quote]

Well it is written into the BC commandments.

1) Thou shalt ask the weight of every bass for sale regardless of whether one intends to buy the bass in question.
2) Thou shalt not criticize barefaced products, they we're crafted by angels from trees felled in the sacred forest and are beyond reproach ... especially the handles.
3) Thou shalt ask which bass is best for metal at every opportunity.
4) Thou shalt start a new thread discussing the merits of relicing if the previous one has received no replies for a period of 3 days.
5) Thou shalt suggest gear thy currently own to anyone asking a which bass / which amp / which pedal is best question.
6) Thou shalt always refer to thy vintage Fender as "one of the good ones"
7) Thou shalt declare a "final price drop" a week after listing a bass for sale and withdraw it in a huff a couple of days later if it does not sell.
8) Thou shalt reply "it's all in the fingers" to any thread discussing tone.
9) Thou shalt declare all class D amplifiers to be lacking in "Heft"
10) Thou shalt advise anyone asking about upgrading their gear to spend the money on lessons instead.

... oh and

11) Thou shalt buy all thy cables from OBBM.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1461590867' post='3035895']

Well it is written into the BC commandments.

1) Thou shalt ask the weight of every bass for sale regardless of whether one intends to buy the bass in question.
2) Thou shalt not criticize barefaced products, they we're crafted by angels from trees felled in the sacred forest and are beyond reproach ... especially the handles.
3) Thou shalt ask which bass is best for metal at every opportunity.
4) Thou shalt start a new thread discussing the merits of relicing if the previous one has received no replies for a period of 3 days.
5) Thou shalt suggest gear thy currently own to anyone asking a which bass / which amp / which pedal is best question.
6) Thou shalt always refer to thy vintage Fender as "one of the good ones"
7) Thou shalt declare a "final price drop" a week after listing a bass for sale and withdraw it in a huff a couple of days later if it does not sell.
8) Thou shalt reply "it's all in the fingers" to any thread discussing tone.
9) Thou shalt declare all class D amplifiers to be lacking in "Heft"
10) Thou shalt advise anyone asking about upgrading their gear to spend the money on lessons instead.

... oh and

11) Thou shalt buy all thy cables from OBBM.
[/quote]

Yeah sounds about right :D

Pretty much my last contribution to TB was on a thread about celebrities who play musical instruments. I mentioned that Tony Blair (who was PM at the time) played guitar at one time. That was all -- but it was enough to earn me a public bollocking for supposedly contravening their 'no politics' rule..!

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1461591779' post='3035901']
Pretty much my last contribution to TB was on a thread about celebrities who play musical instruments. I mentioned that Tony Blair (who was PM at the time) played guitar at one time. That was all -- but it was enough to earn me a public bollocking for supposedly contravening their 'no politics' rule..!
[/quote]

Hmm, and you, a mod, mention a politicians name on here?
Put yourself in the corner young man and prepare for a good flogging!!'

[/quote]

They're a prickly and humourless bunch.

Apart from that I find it way too big to be of any use...and being so US focused, naturally, most of the time of little use.

[/quote]

I expect the real problem was the confusion caused by you mentioning TB on TB.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1461592241' post='3035905']
Hmm, and you, a mod, mention a politicians name on here?
Put yourself in the corner young man and prepare for a good flogging!!'
[/quote]

I don't know which is more abhorrent, that the person he mentioned is a politician or that he plays one of those high-pitched six-bits-of-cheesewire devices!

I quite like TB, used to be on there a lot before BC - the main thing I disliked was the US based marketplace. Hardly their fault :)

I've been given warnings there for things that I wouldn't do here, but their house, their rules etc.

Lots of good info there and some friendly people, but sadly not many Vigier players - for that I head to French forum OnlyBass

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1461594655' post='3035927']
I quite like TB, used to be on there a lot before BC - the main thing I disliked was the US based marketplace. Hardly their fault :)

I've been given warnings there for things that I wouldn't do here, but their house, their rules etc.

Lots of good info there and some friendly people, but sadly not many Vigier players - for that I head to French forum OnlyBass
[/quote]

Stop advertising other forums you fool!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1461587065' post='3035842']
Last year Mrs ET and myself had a 25 years silver Not-Married party. My band played, our son's band played, and the bar bill cost me a small fortune.

It was nothing like Talkbass.
[/quote]
That sounds like a good do! I didn't use those scenarios quite literally, more just to go with the vibe of the present company.
[quote name='ped' timestamp='1461594655' post='3035927']

[/quote]
That, really.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1461603403' post='3036066']
I love off topic on here but only use TB for bass info (I dont even know if they have an off topic) . I find it hard enough to be taken as meant by fellow countrymen , so Im bound to get into trouble if I go OT overseas.
[/quote]

Being from neither country, I find I can adjust to the idiosyncrasies of both forums. ;) Each has it's place.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1461603403' post='3036066']
I find it hard enough to be taken as meant by fellow countrymen , so Im bound to get into trouble if I go OT overseas.
[/quote]

I know the feeling. Got the sh*t kicked out of me on TDPRI for 'judgemental sexism' having advanced the unremarkable hypothesis that middle-aged women are less obsessive about music than middle-aged men.

One elderly Canadian gent took great umbrage so I playfully told him to go club some baby seals and that's when it all came unglued.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1461605182' post='3036094']
I know the feeling. Got the sh*t kicked out of me on TDPRI for 'judgemental sexism' having advanced the unremarkable hypothesis that middle-aged women are less obsessive about music than middle-aged men.

One elderly Canadian gent took great umbrage so I playfully told him to go club some baby seals and that's when it all came unglued.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
Glad to see that your experience in Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service is not being wasted.

Edited by peteb

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1461607616' post='3036120']
Of course the poster who suggested 'not drinking the alcohol' may in fact had a great sense of humour and was playing it very literally.....
[/quote]

That's what I thought and was laughing at, especially the opening sentence.
[size=4][i][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]"I don't recommend sticking the strings down your throat."[/font][/color][/i][/size]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida] [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]I thought poster #2 and poster #3 were a bit of a double act. :D[/font][/color]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1461610292' post='3036151']
That's what I thought and was laughing at, especially the opening sentence.
[i][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]"I don't recommend sticking the strings down your throat."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]I thought poster #2 and poster #3 were a bit of a double act. :D[/font][/color]
[/quote]

You maybe right. Poster #1 and #3 are the same people. Poster #2 is me and we've never met :D