Why become a member? ×

Talk Bass Eh?

Billy Apple

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][QUOTE="jack7265, post: 18688425, member: 191641"]This is how I've got the strings set up in the alcohol. It may not be the best setup, but it was quick. If I can reuse a set of strings a couple of times, and maintain a near new string sound, it will be worth it. [/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][/QUOTE][/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][QUOTE="Billy Apple, post: 18688534, member: 204767"]I do this, but I find the strings catch in my throat.[/QUOTE][/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][QUOTE="jack7265, post: 18688542, member: 191641"]I don't recommend sticking the strings down your throat. The alcohol is denatured alcohol, which may be fatal, or cause blindness if ingested. It is not drinking alcohol.[/QUOTE][/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Well, D'uh! :lol:[/font][/color]

Talkbass. Let's see. Threads that grow so quickly I can't be bothered/don't have the time or inclination to sift through to get to any good stuff which might be in there. Clubs based upon some false sense of kinship because they all own a particular product - I am not a free man, I'm a number. OK, I'm done, the place makes fun of itself simply by existing, you don't need any further input from me ;)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461539354' post='3035583']
Tbh I hate talkbass. Unlike here most of [b]there[/b] members are not the most friendly of people. And if you make a mistake you will be jumped on.
[/quote]
Are you a complete imbersile? You need to get yerself ejucated! Everyone no's it should be [i][u]they're[/u]!..[/i]. YOU FICKO!

It can be a very useful resource but it does manage to convey the impression that humour is somehow frowned upon and that discussions about bass guitaring are no place for levity.

That's the main reason I've never signed up.

I like the Wal club on there, met a couple of guys in there that I've ended up staying in contact with outside of Talkbass :)

I've not posted outside of the Wal thread though, so I've no idea what it's like as a community.

I already spend all day here anyway... there aren't enough hours in the day for me to get involved in another bass forum :blink:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1461538035' post='3035578']
Don't think they understand 'irony', which is ironic given Alanis Morrisette's hit.....
[/quote]

Love the irony in that song! lol

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/08/what_everybody_gets_wrong_about_alanis_morissettes_ironic_partner/
http://www.isitironic.com/alanis-morissette.htm

I joined about the same time as here, visited twice & thought it wasn't my thing - hence I've never posted over there (as far as I can recall).
I like Basschat, it's fairly friendly and mostly not 'up itself'.
Mods are good too - I've been on some sites that I won't name - Mods can make or break the thing.

:ph34r:

'Sfunny, I quite like Talkbass for what it is, rather than bemoaning what it isn't. Admittedly I spend waaay more time here on Basschat, and the two vibes are different, but it's just like going to your parents' silver wedding do rather than out for several pints with your mates. . I bet everyone here would act slightly differently at the two events! :-)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1461575392' post='3035695']
'Sfunny, I quite like Talkbass for what it is, rather than bemoaning what it isn't. Admittedly I spend waaay more time here on Basschat, and the two vibes are different, but it's just like going to your parents' silver wedding do rather than out for several pints with your mates. . I bet everyone here would act slightly differently at the two events! :-)
[/quote]

Well yeah... seeing as I never met my dad I think I would be a lot more confused at the silver wedding do :lol:

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1461568118' post='3035633']
It can be a very useful resource but it does manage to convey the impression that humour is somehow frowned upon and that discussions about bass guitaring are no place for levity.

That's the main reason I've never signed up.
[/quote]

Not so in the effects forum, the post-your-pedalboard threads for example have more banter than boards!

My OP was maybe a bit flippant, but if did make me laugh. TB is great for a Spector head like me as it's such a great resource, but if if you turn your back for a moment the owners club moves on by 15 pages and it's difficult to keep up. I avoid most other places as threads grow quickly and the angle gets lost.
The SOC is great though, very helpful guys and not a troll in sight. Mind you, if you criticise Spector bridge screws failing you're rounded on pretty quick!

TB is the Uni Library.
BC is the local.

Started out at TB, before I found this place, I very rarely vist there unlike here.
I still go there ocassionally when I'm researching some bass gear and can't find any info here.

Bought some pickups off there, transaction went well. There seems to be some decent folks over there as well.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1461575392' post='3035695']
[/quote]

Last year Mrs ET and myself had a 25 years silver Not-Married party. My band played, our son's band played, and the bar bill cost me a small fortune.

It was nothing like Talkbass.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1461578178' post='3035726']
Mind you, if you criticise Spector bridge screws failing you're rounded on pretty quick!

TB is the Uni Library.
BC is the local.
[/quote]

Sounds like Spector is the TB equivalent of Barefaced on here!!

😉

Edited by barneyg42