Why become a member? ×

Your Favorite Prince record. ?

bubinga5

I've got a lot of Prince's albums from his early to mid career, late 70s to late 1990s, but I don't have so many from his later career, say from 2000 onwards... Of those I have, my favourite as a purely amazing, exciting pop record is 'Purple Rain, but I think his most artistically ambitious and creative album is Sign 'O The Times.

Thought I'd offer up these songs as some from the albums I've got that are incredible, but which don't get much of a mention:

"Take Me With U" from Purple Rain
"Condition of The Heart" from Around The World In A Day
"Do U Lie" from Parade
"Dance On" from Lovesexy
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]"Rockhard in a Funky Place" from the 1987 Black Album[/font][/color]
"Strollin' " from Diamonds & Pearls
"Guitar" from Planet Earth

There's loads of others, but these ones have always stood out for me..

Sorry - not sure if there are YouTube clips for them or not.

Since the news of this week I've given Sign 'O' The Times a couple of spins, what an amazing album. Favourites from that album alone are the title track, Housequake, It, Starfish, Forever In My Life (probably top pick, this one), The Cross, Hot Thing, U Got The Look. (Regarding UGTL I think I surprised Mrs Knob when we were courting by being able to recite the lyrics verbatim when it came on in a bar in Seville)

Also this is amazing, from recent shows. So glad I saw him on this tour.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnqJgLYrnPA[/media]

Bass solo at about 2m20 btw. I hope my backing band looks this good when I'm in my mid-50s.

Edited by toneknob

I wouldn't have said I was really a Prince fan, but there are 3 tracks of his that I think are just sublime:

1. Sign O' the Times... an impeccably sparse groove, and great lyrics.
2. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World... for the snare drum sound alone!
3. Black Sweat... another masterclass in minimalism, and this wonderfully wry video... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILzhoCuJSs&list=RD-ILzhoCuJSs"]https://www.youtube....t=RD-ILzhoCuJSs[/url]

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1461486914' post='3034931']
Since the news of this week I've given Sign 'O' The Times a couple of spins, what an amazing album. Favourites from that album alone are the title track, Housequake, It, Starfish, Forever In My Life (probably top pick, this one), The Cross, Hot Thing, U Got The Look. (Regarding UGTL I think I surprised Mrs Knob when we were courting by being able to recite the lyrics verbatim when it came on in a bar in Seville)

Also this is amazing, from recent shows. So glad I saw him on this tour.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnqJgLYrnPA[/media]

Bass solo at about 2m20 btw. I hope my backing band looks this good when I'm in my mid-50s.
[/quote]

That rocks so hard! Thanks for posting.

Edited by SICbass

I'm looking at the Greatest Hits album and I'm pushed to find one I don't like...loads of great tracks..."1999", "I would die 4U", "Little Red Corvette", "when Doves cry", but I'd have to say, today, if I needed to pick just one I'd go for "Thieves in the Temple" - possibly only because it had less air play than some of the others so feels fresher...

His catalogue of work is huge so I'm sure there's stuff out there that I don't know...a real loss to Music...

None of his albums - I've found a lot of his songs are a bit meh (and I say that as a Prince fan). His live jams are what do it for me so I've only got DVDs.

Live at the Aladdin is the best, shortly followed by Y2K (let down by the cringeworthy sermon half way through). Sign of the Times DVD is (ironically) a sign of it's time - its a bit self conscious and doesn't show Prince's band leading talents to the same degree as the other two.

Musicology has some good tracks and was one of his better albums in 'recent' years. Some great grooves and some of that classic minimal stuff - On the Couch springs to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkzfnuvY6Zo

And Prince on bass just cause y'know it's Basschat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWGo4XKjrjc

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1461448051' post='3034788']
Nope not got one, not a fan and cant remember a similar thread for others that have sadly passed away, so why him?
[/quote]

Hey why not start a thread of your least fav Prince tracks or reasons why you think he's overrated? That way you and other's will have a safe community to express your disgust/disdain/or dislike of Prince's back catalogue. I'm sure I'd not read it but at the same time I'll not come in and tell you guys you're wrong. I'll probably stay in this one and celebrate the work.

The internet is full of conflicting views and I'm happy to see opinions which differ to mine and If anyone wants to start a thread on how good/inspirational or abject an artist is in their eyes they're welcome to do so.

I think these threads (let's call them the positive threads) celebrating the work of a particular artist offer a glimpse into the back catalogue and I 'look forward' to more popping up celebrating artists I'm not familiar with be they alive or dead.

Edited by krispn

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1461486869' post='3034929']
"Condition of The Heart" from Around The World In A Day
[/quote]

I bloody love this song - remember hearing it for the first time and just being blown away by it. I always thought there was just a little something autobiographical in it - the "left him for a real prince from Arabia" line just sounds so heartfelt! It would definitely be on my Best Of... list, along with Sometimes It Snows in April, Sexy MF, My Name is Prince, Diamonds and Pearls - in fact most of his 80s/early 90s output! For me, Sign O The TImes is up there with The Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense as one of the definitive live music movies.