Why become a member? ×

Electro Acoustic recommendations please

BrunoBass

Morning all. I haven't touched acoustic guitar for ages, but with a bunch of song ideas bubbling away and an invitation to collaborate with a singer for some open mic assaults I'm in the market for something to strum.
I've got around £250 to spend, acoustic tone isn't a massive consideration as most of the time it'll be plugged in to a PA, but most important is feel. I want something with an electric type neck, easy to play!
Can anyone recommend anything? I hear good things about Tanglewood guitars, the Epiphone EJ200 and Yamaha's APX range. Any advice gratefully received - thanks!

have a look at freshman guitars, the last one I played was astonishing for the 190 quid price tag ( I thought it was a 500 quid guitar)

yamaha, epiphone and tanglewood are good choices as well.

Matt

Crafter are also good, I bought one for £175 which was up there with several more expensive instruments.

Or get a Variax 300 solid-body and use the acoustic patches, that's what I use for gigging purposes.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1461332733' post='3033795']
I have a Crafter SA which combines characteristics of an electro-acoustic with a neck more like an electric ...

http://youtu.be/nvLyQFvbKu0
[/quote]

Thanks, looks great - slightly out of my budget though unfortunately ☺

Crafter is a good call, but also Cort and Aria both make good guitars at that price point, and, as they are not "name" brands (same with Crafter) their secondhand price will often plummet, making your 3250 go a very long way.

Ibanez Talman has an awesome neck - just like an electric. Played acoustically its lacking a bit of low end as it has quite a small body but amped up it is great.
I had the Crafter before it and liked the Ibanez a lot more. Definitely worth considering for the money.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-tcm50e-electro-acoustic-guitar-sunburst?gclid=CPqWmJvrp8wCFdgaGwodS9kGdw

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you've got a reasonable acoustic already, why not just by a quality piezo pickup and install it. L.R.Baggs are brilliant, they make an alternative to the piezo that is actually a microphone which sticks under the top and does require removing the bridge saddle. It has a volume control that fits neatly on the edge of the sound hole. All you need to do is drill a hope where the rear strap button fits and insert the jack. Called the Lyric it's excellent. I have one in my Taylor acoustic.

Edited by Grahambythesea

• 1 month later...

Seeing as this thread is almost a year old may I ask for a slight hijack? [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_ce48p_koab_elite_plus.htm"]I think I want this Ovation[/url]. What say you all? Situation is exactly the same as the OP's, me and the singer doing coffee shop/restaurant type stuff. Is something like this worth the extra over the cheaper instruments mentioned here? Main concerns are an electric-type neck and ideally a thin body but still looking traditional.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1490532549' post='3265713']
Seeing as this thread is almost a year old may I ask for a slight hijack? [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_ce48p_koab_elite_plus.htm"]I think I want this Ovation[/url]. What say you all? Situation is exactly the same as the OP's, me and the singer doing coffee shop/restaurant type stuff. Is something like this worth the extra over the cheaper instruments mentioned here? Main concerns are an electric-type neck and ideally a thin body but still looking traditional.
[/quote]

Have you played Ovation-style instruments before? i find they tend to be a bit marmite, some people love them but many cannot get on with the body shape at all, personally i'm in the loathe them group, i've played a few at various prices and cannot get on with the bowl back, they just don't seem to sit right against my body and every time i've tried to play one sitting down they slip off my knee. (mind you i have a similar dislike for taylors and takamines!)

i'd suggest a trip into toon and play all the guitars in you budget, if you know the guitar shop on old george yard (opposite RPM records) then i'd look in there, he was selling Mayson Guitars which i found very good for the money, (Windows and PMT would be my other choices, and i'd avoid GuitarGuitar as they just don't seem to care in there at all)

Matt

PS Thanks for letting me try out your barefaced cabs all those years ago, i bought a pair of midgets and it has cured my amp GAS completely!

Thanks Matt!

No I haven't played Ovation before. It was the thin body that attracted me but I hadn't thought about the bowl aspect. I need to go play but the choice in the usual shops is dire as you're aware. I will check out the shops you mentioned.

no problem, if you're looking for slimmer bodied then one of my favorites is the Aria sandpiper, not easy to come by but i could get you a try on one as my best friend has one (a few years old and a bit battle scarred but a really lovely guitar) the shop on old george yard used to sell them but is more selling secondhand guitars now.

the sandpiper is akin to the Yamaha APX but the sound quality is on another level (judging by the ones i've played form both ranges)

Fender make some very slim acoustics but they're strat or tele shaped rather than traditional shaped.

i tend to buy most of my guitar stuff from the shop on old george yard, the owner Bryan has become a friend over the years (and the thousands of pounds i've spent in there!)

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1490709319' post='3267246']
no problem, if you're looking for slimmer bodied then one of my favorites is the Aria sandpiper, not easy to come by but i could get you a try on one as my best friend has one (a few years old and a bit battle scarred but a really lovely guitar) the shop on old george yard used to sell them but is more selling secondhand guitars now.

the sandpiper is akin to the Yamaha APX but the sound quality is on another level (judging by the ones i've played form both ranges)

Fender make some very slim acoustics but they're strat or tele shaped rather than traditional shaped.

i tend to buy most of my guitar stuff from the shop on old george yard, the owner Bryan has become a friend over the years (and the thousands of pounds i've spent in there!)

Matt
[/quote]

My guitar teacher when i was at school had a sandpiper and i remember it being one of the nicest things i've played.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1490980891' post='3269619']
My guitar teacher when i was at school had a sandpiper and i remember it being one of the nicest things i've played.
[/quote]

the Sandpiper really is a gem, I've always said that if I was heading out on the road i'd take a pair of sandpipers over my McIlroy.

Matt