Why become a member? ×

URGENT HELP!! Rick Astley bassline

Captain Bassman

OK, at the risk of being laughed off the forum and having my fingers broken, I have to learn this song for tomorrow night. Aaaaaaarrrgh!

I've burned it off i-Tunes but to save me staying up until the early hours of tomorrow trying to figure it out I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has learned this before and could help me cut some corners?

I've got the basic root notes down but could use some urgent help with nailing the other notes in the verse, chorus and middle 8 riffs.

Apparently, it's very important to the person paying our fee that we actually play this live and not just resort to using a backing track!

THANKS ALL!!!!!!!

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='292874' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:54 PM']OK, at the risk of being laughed off the forum and having my fingers broken, I have to learn this song for tomorrow night. Aaaaaaarrrgh![/quote]

:):lol::huh::lol::huh::lol::huh::lol::unsure::lol:

Rick Astley - when [i]Mustang Sally[/i] or Robbie Williams just aren't degrading enough.

You may well all laugh.. :huh: :huh:
But its a tricky little line and nice and tight... :)
F..k that one up and all will know. :unsure:
I have the Bass part in Notation, if it is any help. :huh:

As for me...
I have a nice little mime gig tomorrow..
Two tracks for Cliff Richard..[BBC]
If i F**k that up, i need turning into a born again Christian.. :lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='292987' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:41 PM']As for me...
If i F**k that up, i need turning into a born again Christian.. :)

Garry[/quote]
Cool! I hope you do Devil Woman...

If you PM me your email address i can send the Bass as a midi part.
[I could not upload to this site as a attachment for some reason]
You can load in to your sequencer then read off the Notator.
If you dont have a seq.
you could use this [its free]

[url="http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/"]http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/[/url]

Load the midi file into it [very easy]
And hey presto ...
Notes right in front of you.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='292987' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:41 PM']You may well all laugh.. :huh: :unsure:
But its a tricky little line and nice and tight... :huh:
F..k that one up and all will know. :lol:
I have the Bass part in Notation, if it is any help. :huh:

As for me...
If i F**k that up, i need turning into a born again Christian.. :lol:

Garry[/quote]

Thanks for all your cheeky comments guys...just wait until your time comes! Never thought it would happen to me but, there you go... :)

Seriously though, it is one of those bass lines that makes the song (hey, wasn't there a thread about this a few weeks ago?). Lowdown is spot on, it's a tight synth part - screw it up and the whole song goes to f*ck!

Garry, you're a saviour!! Notation is cool with me!

Wanna PM with my e-mail address or do you want to post it on the forum in case any other poor f***ers have to learn it future?? :o :o :o

David

Anyway: at the risk of being helpful... I'm having a listen to the track at the moment, and it has a low Eb in there, so I'm tuning my 4-string down a semitone.

For the Middle 8 I get something like this: [code]----|--------|--------|--------|----
---0|2-20254-|0-2-----|--------|----
--2-|--------|-------0|2-20254-|----
----|--------|------2-|--------|----[/code]
If you have a 5-string, you don't need to detune, but then you don't have those handy open strings.

edit: oh well... if this some elaborate RickRolling scheme, well done, Sir!

Edited by bnt

That's the thing that stumped me for a while - the guitar/keys are playing F# in the intro/chorus/middle 8 but the synth bass is playing a low Eb against it. I was trying to pick this out on a 4 string and it took me ages! Doh!!!

Got the 5er to hand now...

Thanks again guys! See, it's a bloody catchy little song when you have to keep listening to it over and over and over and over and over...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='293056' date='Sep 26 2008, 08:02 PM']That's the thing that stumped me for a while - the guitar/keys are playing F# in the intro/chorus/middle 8 but the synth bass is playing a low Eb against it. I was trying to pick this out on a 4 string and it took me ages! Doh!!![/quote]
I'm assuming this was written on keyboard, and I bet you could play this bassline on just the black keys. I'm not sure what key the recorded version is (Eb / Ab?), but it's not a typical guitar key, and for me it's easier with the bass detuned a semitone.

Edited by bnt