Why become a member? ×

First Bass you owned - still have it?

LewisK1975

First Guitar: squire strat - still got it, still use it, still works sounds and plays brilliant. Until this coming Saturday when I pick up my new 6 string, still the only electric guitar I own.

First Bass: Tanglewood Rebel in translucent Red. It's now 20 years old and entered semi retirement. It sits with the others in the stand and gets played fairly frequently. It's gigging days are over but it will never leave me.

I also still own basses number 2, 3, 4 & 5 and all of the acoustic guitars I've ever purchased.

I think I might have a problem!

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1461155438' post='3031928']
First amps are interesting one..... I had a huge H and H hw100 combo, as big as a washing machine and has a neon green back lit panel long before trace elliot ever existed :)

Happy days
[/quote]

HH VS Bassamp! My second amp, in fact. It probably sounded like arse, but the light-up front panel made it awesome to the power of 10! :D

My first amp was a Selmer Treble & Bass 50, flooded to death in our drummer's basement, some time around 1982, I think. As I understand it, these are worth a minor fortune nowadays.

J.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1461094573' post='3031473']

I too had Hofner Artist. I paid £30 if i recall correctly, which was about two week wages. It was quite playable although imperfect in intonation at the dusty end. I gave it to a friend when I got a Hayman 4040 for about £100.
[/quote]
Yes mine has issues with intonation at the dusty end too,
It also has a problem staying in tune- although I don't play it enough for it to be a problem.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1461190701' post='3032400']
Westone Concord 1, bought from Andy Pascoe's Modern Music in Truro (he's still there) about 1984. Still got it, although it doesn't leave the house these days, just sits by the sofa for unplugged noodling whilst watching TV.
[/quote]

Andy sold me my Aria SB700 two years earlier when he was working at the shop which had the guitar section on the first floor, up the top of St Clement Street. City Electronics? Opposite where they built the first big Tesco. He gave us a great, great deal on it and we always suspected he was just trying to maximise his commission to get enough cash together to set up his own shop. About a year later... Viola!! Modern Music!!!

My first bass was a '74 Fender Precision. I wanted a bass (I was a guitar player first, sorry!) , went down to my local music shop (WAM Music in St Neots) and they had the Precision for £135. That would have been '84/'85.
I still have it and wouldn't ever part with it, as it plays and sounds great.

[quote name='Lasermonkey' timestamp='1461203926' post='3032453']
My first bass was a '74 Fender Precision. I wanted a bass (I was a guitar player first, sorry!) , went down to my local music shop (WAM Music in St Neots) and they had the Precision for £135. That would have been '84/'85.
I still have it and wouldn't ever part with it, as it plays and sounds great.
[/quote]

Wow, even for 84/85 that's a bargain by anyone's standards.

Hohner B2A cricket bat. Bought for me by my best mate who'd just gotten a drum kit and wanted to start a band. Cost £60 out of the Diamond Free-Adds paper in 1995.
With hindsight I reckon it was probably a pretty decent bass but I never got to hear it at its best as I was playing it through the same mate's Goodmans twin cassette home karaoke machine. That and the dodgy looks meant I soon traded it in against a new Aria Pro II Magna series and a second hand Laney Linebacker 30.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1461265501' post='3033178']
Yes, here it is. Sold it to a friend in 1985 and then lost contact with him. Last year he sends a Facebook friend request and asked if i'd like to have my old bass back! Its terrible to play and sounds awful but back in the day i loved it.
[/quote]

Looks like a cool old P copy to me - can't be sure from the pics but it's either an Italian-made Melody, or a Musima from the old DDR! These were usually pretty well-made, maybe it just needs a good setup & a decent pickup dropped in.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1461270438' post='3033272']
Looks like a cool old P copy to me - can't be sure from the pics but it's either an Italian-made Melody, or a Musima from the old DDR! These were usually pretty well-made, maybe it just needs a good setup & a decent pickup dropped in.

J.
[/quote]
Thanks for info :)

The bass is more of a nostalgia item.The neck is split at the headstock and needs replacing - the pickup wiring is dodgy. Could end up being a "project".

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1461081523' post='3031286']
Incredibly touching story Kevin, thank you for sharing that..and here's to Jimmy :drinks:
[/quote]
Yes, I will second that, very moving. Thanks Kev.

I don't still have my first bass guitar, which was a Hofner Senator. I wish I did, but only because I wouldn't have been able to buy my second bass guitar, the most horrible piece of crap to disgrace the planet. A Vox Wyman, since you ask.

Like RhysP, my first bass was short scale Jenson (?) and I sold it to buy my first proper bass in 1978, a 2nd hand Jazz which I bought from Macaris and still have.

What is most memorable about the Jenson is that I bought it from someone in a flat on the 18th floor of a tower block where the elevator didn't work...........!

Wow, some beauties and some horrors on here!
This is mine, as it appears nowadays, and the back story: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/44673-ibanez-roadster-megacustom/page__hl__megacustom"]http://basschat.co.u..._hl__megacustom[/url]

[attachment=217545:roadster.jpg]

My 1967 Hofner Verithin, which I bought second hand in 1988.

I still gig with it occasionally and, as its coincidentally the same age as me, I'm not selling.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DYgVCu][/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/DYgVCu]My Höfner Verithin Bass by -cybertect-[/url]

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1461478496' post='3034872']
I got an Aria pro II Laser Electric Heritage new in 1985, lucky me! - still have it, its actually a really great sounding bass. I don't use it much, but like the nostalgia it brings.
[/quote]

I had one of those, I considered it my first 'proper' bass when I bought it back in the early 90's, mine was the off-white passive version, like this:

[attachment=217651:Capture.JPG]

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1461483879' post='3034898']
I had one of those, I considered it my first 'proper' bass when I bought it back in the early 90's, mine was the off-white passive version, like this:

[attachment=217651:Capture.JPG]
[/quote]

Yeah, mines passive too, but black. Good basses, I nearly had a 2nd hand P copy, but opted for this instead.

Columbus Jazz from mail order catalogue in 1976. Upgraded to an Aria SB1000 so defretted it to see what a fretless was like. Left it with a mate in circa 81 and he still has it altho he refretted it and his daughter used it to learn on. She now has an Overwater and the Columbus is still with him.
Dave