Why become a member? ×

First Bass you owned - still have it?

LewisK1975

This has probably been done, another thread just made me think of it though..

Mine was a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]black Marlin slammer P-Bass copy with a maple fingerboard. Bought for £25 in 1988. I now know it was an awful Bass, but at the time I didn't know any different and I did some serious learning on that thing! Often wish I still had it, just for nostalgia. [/font][/color]

Late 70's Fender precision in sunburst. Bought it in Leeds for around £220 IIRC.
Thought it was great until I tried another one. It was then I realised what a dreadful
thing it was - heavy, not that well made and so 'dead' generally. Would probably
have been better off with a good cheaper P-bass, although this was before the good
Tokai / Squier stuff was around so options were a tad more limited.
Anyway, sold it for what I paid for it, and rather glad I did...

An Audition P bass copy from Woolies for £29.00 in 1973. It was Sunburst but obviously I soon spray painted it black! :rolleyes:

In !974 I bought an Arbiter ric copy :ph34r: and have no Idea what happened to the Audition...I really cannot remember, how sad is that?!

It was a crap bass though :lol:

Edited by Raymondo

Here's mine:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01541-2.jpg[/IMG]

It's a Burns Sonic Bass from the early 60s. I bought it back in 1981 when it was already almost 20 years old for £60 including the OHC and a free Fender-branded strap.

At the time the alternatives in my price range were P and J copies with Grant or Columbus badges on them, which didn't really look or sound as good and were only marginally more playable. What I really wanted was an Aria Pro II SB1000 but they were way outside what I could afford at the time.

It's hardly in original condition any more, although the majority of modifications had been done before I owned it.

I used this all the way through the 80s (when I wasn't playing synth) until it got replaced with a 5-string in 1990.

These days it rarely gets any use, as nearly everything I do requires a 5-string and visually it doesn't suit my current band as well as the Warwick Starbass. I have thought about selling it several times, but because of all the modifications, I wouldn't get enough for it to be worthwhile, so it spends most of its time in the case.

The 1st bass I owned was a truly awful short scale Rick copy, branded as a "Kay" - the catalogue company, not the instrument manufacturer. It was shockingly bad, with a twisted neck (I didn't know this when I bought it) but the electrics and sound were awful too.
It was terrible to play, and I'm surprised it didn't put me off altogether.
No, gladly I don't still own it. I've played one since, and it confirmed my thoughts on the quality, or lack of, of these instruments

My first "proper" bass was a Fender Musicmaster bass, from the late 60's or early 70's - it wasn't so easy to find out exactly when, back in the days I owned this bass. I don't still have it, I sold it many years back. It changed hands again, and oddly enough, I was in the same place as the guy who now owns it. I don't know him terribly well, but it crossed my mind to swap phone numbers, and ask him if I could have a whirl.... I didn't because I thought I might be tempted to buy it back! Hmmm, I've since regretted that too.... ;)

Edited by Marc S

The Satellite short scale thing I had first doesn't count as a bass it was so terrible. I replaced it in 1979 with a Satellite Jazz copy which was actually not too terrible. Kept that for about 8 years and eventually had a fretless conversion done. Don't really miss it, apart from the nostalgia aspect

My first bass was only about 3 years ago. It was a black Encore shortscale P type bass which I paid £5 for. I actually got it on Ebay auction for £1 but felt sorry for the woman who was selling it so gave her a fiver when I picked it up. Despite quickly moving on to other basses, some of which I have sold on, I still have the little Encore for sentimental reasons and in case any of my lads want to have a go at playing - it would be the perfect size for them right now.

Mine was a Squier P bass in white with a tort pickguard. It was awful in every imaginable way and I nearly fell at the first hurdle of bass playing because of it... Got a Westfield pj cheapie about a year later which was also crap but infinetly better than the Squier...

My first bass was yet another Satellite short scale nightmare.
Bought from the Exchange and Mart in West Ealing in July 1982.
No I dont still have it, but this one sold on ebay last summer for £86! :blink:

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1461066035' post='3031052']
Doesn't get much use, but it's sentimental value is far higher than it's market value
[/quote]

Yep, that's the only reason I'd now like to have kept that awful old Marlin. Just to remind myself of where it all started....back when it was all fields 'round 'ere.....

still got my Hondo, bought it for £40 off a mates son, as above it doesn't get used, but is worth so little I also keep for sentimental reasons and as a backup for gigs, (sounds a lot better than an encore I found leaning against a dustbin) never needed it yet, still prefer the neck to my rose wood P, it's a right handed but still looked good when converted too cack handed

My first bass was an Ibanez SRX300. That was about seven years ago but I got rid of fairly quickly as I could not get a good tone from it or even play it (I thought I would pick up playing quite quickly). Took a break and came to a Fender P bass in 2013 and am still noodling today.