Why become a member? ×

Pedal order

fryer

It matters, there are a few general rules of thumb but they can all be broken!

Think of what each pedal does to your sound and how that would affect the next pedal in line, and the correct order (for you) should become apparent. E.g. Distortion would mask the effect of modulation pedals and squash the natural decay of delay/reverb tails... So dirt usually comes before those types of effects. But sometimes you want that sound, e.g. a phaser into fuzz can sound different but cool. Envelope filters respond to your playing dynamics so they should come early in the chain... Unless you also have an octaver that tracks better if it's before the filter. Then again you might just prefer the synthier sound of putting filters after dirt.

Just experiment and use what sounds best!

I would start with Duality -> Funky Monkey -> Multiwave -> Shimverb, then try the filter after the Multiwave if it doesn't sound good before it.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='fryer' timestamp='1461132650' post='3031644']
Thank you DB. I am also thinking of changing the FM to something else - any suggestions ?
[/quote]

Mr Black Fwonkbeta is my favourite, or the MXR Bass Envelope Filter for a totally different sound...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258306-filter-quest

[quote name='fryer' timestamp='1461267304' post='3033216']
The Fwonk sounds good - where do you find these things ? And thank you uncle
[/quote]

I found that one by subscribing to PedalsAndEffects.com's YouTube channel. Anderton's sell Mr Black pedals over here, might be worth asking them when they will be getting them in. He sells direct but doesn't ship overseas, so I used shipito.com to forward the parcel over here. He does regular sales too (e.g. last weekend any pedal for $140 and they are £140 here) so it's worth subscribing to his newsletter if you're interested in buying one via this method.

Also keep an eye on the Talkbass FX forum, a lot more activity over there!

[quote name='fryer' timestamp='1461565398' post='3035621']
[sup]Do you use all those ? Are they all different ?[/sup]
[/quote]

If you mean everything in my signature then no I don't use it all and a fair few are left at home to play around with there.

My main board is the Morley volume pedal into the tuner. From there it goes into the Palmer deepressor which is just a compressor for smoothing and to add punch. Then it's into the palmer ubertrieber overdrive which is an aggressive, mids forward pedal that I use on ace of spades. Next the bass soul food for some light drive and vintage warmth and then the big muff is used for any Muse covers. Next is the octaver which sounds cool on uptown funk but also works well with the Big muff to get a synth sound and finaly the roll boost just to boost volume when needed.
The second smaller board actually sits on top of my amp with the aural xciter and the VT Bass on it as these are always on as part of my core tone along with the amps own eq.

Edited by Painy