Why become a member? ×

GRETSCH G5441T DOUBLE JET ELECTRIC GUITAR

SonnyBass95

Really interested in getting this guitar. Its a great price for a Gretsch (£400) and i've always been interested in getting one.

Anyone got one of these or played one? I'd love to hear some feedback/reviews. Wondering what the difference is between this one and an expensive as hell Gretsch...

Also to note i play a blend of indie rock/rock/gospel sort of stuff.

Any input would be much appreciated (:

Sonny.

Edited by SonnyBass95

Gretsch 6129 '57 Silverjet is the one I have experience of, not a budget one I'm afraid but a true revelation, a sound of its own, closer to a hollow body and so resonant. Fantastic quality, lightweight, unique tone and a world away from solid body Gibson and Fender guitars......closer to £2k new though.

[quote name='Turnaround' timestamp='1461509131' post='3035244']
Gretsch 6129 '57 Silverjet is the one I have experience of, not a budget one I'm afraid but a true revelation, a sound of its own, closer to a hollow body and so resonant. Fantastic quality, lightweight, unique tone and a world away from solid body Gibson and Fender guitars......closer to £2k new though.
[/quote] Aah man, sounds fantastic. Thats the dream, but it would take me a year of hard saving to afford it. Guess you gotta compromise somewhere...I'm actually looking at a different Gretsch to the one i posted, It's the Gretsch G5655T with a Centre Block £700, it's definitely not a 57' £2k bit of gear but its a big step up from the G5441T. Real nice Super Hilotron pickup, which you don't get with the G5441T.

If you've got a picture of your silverjet, attach it, i'd love to see it!

Edited by SonnyBass95

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461622238' post='3036306']
All the cheaper, Korean made Gretsches are good guitars for the money.
[/quote] Nice one, I keep hearing good things about them. Have you got one?

I've heard the Bigsby's are the only cause for concern, as they often pulling the intonation out, but there is a fix for that!

[quote name='SonnyBass95' timestamp='1461687171' post='3036775']
Nice one, I keep hearing good things about them. Have you got one?

I've heard the Bigsby's are the only cause for concern, as they often pulling the intonation out, but there is a fix for that!
[/quote]

I used to have one a few years ago & it was a very nice guitar.
These days the only Gretsch I've got is a limited edition Anniversary model which is just awesome.

The Bigsby's are OK if you set them up correctly & don't expect too much of them (this applies to any Bisgby).
Make sure you lubricate all the string contact points & that the string break angle at the nut isn't too great, use heavier gauge strings & you should be OK.
I recommend "Big Bends Nut Sauce" - it's a lubricant made for nuts & bridges & it's excellent.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461694392' post='3036889']
I used to have one a few years ago & it was a very nice guitar.
These days the only Gretsch I've got is a limited edition Anniversary model which is just awesome.

The Bigsby's are OK if you set them up correctly & don't expect too much of them (this applies to any Bisgby).
Make sure you lubricate all the string contact points & that the string break angle at the nut isn't too great, use heavier gauge strings & you should be OK.
I recommend "Big Bends Nut Sauce" - it's a lubricant made for nuts & bridges & it's excellent.
[/quote] Sounds great pal, thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it!

Have you seen that this guy has invented and patented a Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser? For all models of Bigsby's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5PeUIlYZM

Edited by SonnyBass95

• 2 weeks later...