Why become a member? ×

Bass Rig Shakedown

Malcspring1

Just had my new bass rig up at the rehearsal room for it's very first run. What a wise choice. Took it gently to begin with in order to start bedding everything in. A few more hours and it will all be run in fully and i'll be able to take it up to the max, but for now it is doing pretty spectacular. It has totally exceeded my expectations in every respect. I love it and cannot wait for my Bongo to arrive to complete everything. Epic:-)

Sorry fellas. Should have made myself more clear. Yes indeed. An Ampeg PF500 and Hartke HX 115 cab. As I am relatively new to bass playing (previously I only had a Roland practice amp). I have recently come into some money, so I decided to get a new rig that would be good for practicing at home, but equally good at band rehearsals and on a gig as and when I am competent enough to join a band. Luckily I have had the luxury of having two friends who have played bass for many years (one who owns the guitar shop where I got my gear) and the other who is a virtuoso player who is also giving me lessons. I guess it helps that I also play the drums and have done for 30 years. I had always hankered after learning the bass, so I took the plunge and it is going great.
The rig is fantastic and while it is still running in I was very impressed with the meaty sound. Full and rich. I am by no means an expert, but I know when something sounds good. Thus far the combination is doing very well. Once it is fully run in I should be able to get the full potential. I am certainly enjoying finding out it's capabilities.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1461598052' post='3035982']
Why do you think anything needs "running in"? Just go for it and enjoy the sound.
[/quote]

If it's a new cab then the cone(s) will break in, but admittedly it's best to do that at normal volume!

Solid state amps shouldn't, but any dodgy component or manufacturing flaw will tend to show up fairly early in life.