Why become a member? ×

This year's purchase is approaching, what to get?

Defo

As I've posted before, once a year I get the cash to add to my bass collection. After many many years I know that the two makes of bass that go right with me are Musicman and Dingwall, but I am not in any way restricting myself to them. I have a 4string Bongo, a 4string Stingray, an ABZ 4string and a Combustion 5 string, all of which will be staying with me. So what do I get this year? No more than £1500 and definitely no Fenders. thanks for help as always
Andy

The 5 string anniversary Stingray that's for sale here at the moment. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281740-stingray-5-hh-20th-anniversary-edition-rare-sweet-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281740-stingray-5-hh-20th-anniversary-edition-rare-sweet-price-drop/[/url] I have already explored the value of my Kidneys and my child, I need someone to buy it soon before I sell everything I own to get it.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1460935244' post='3030004']
You have plenty of Basses, buy a synth instead
[/quote]

+1 this is not a bad idea.

Look at your whole setup - from fingers to speakers (everything from lessons to speaker cabinets should be considered when pouring money into the bass playing thingy in my opinion).
When it comes to actual basses on their own:
I'd try playing basses - ones you'd normally not look at, or consider playing (e.g. those well outside your typical tastes, or price range). You may surprise yourself!
I'd also consider a custom build - with a £1,500 budget you could get quite a few features (e.g. a fan fret with Stinray like electronics?). Personally I'd look at ACG, Status Graphite and some others with great reputations.

Thanks folks. I have a Novation Launchkey alongside the basses and trying to master it very slowly. Slightly wary of Spectors, have owned a number and although they are fabulous machines, I moved them all on because I just wasn't playing them (no idea why not). Definitely thinking about fretless but, again, the last one I had didn't get played.... Is Status is not out of my league at £1500, really fancy a Kingbass.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1461006538' post='3030608']
You might be able to pick up a second hand Enfield Lionheart for that, seriously great basses. About £1700 new though.
[/quote]
[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1460997610' post='3030509']
Is Status is not out of my league at £1500, really fancy a Kingbass.
[/quote]

Both good choices IMHO - I did like the MM Reflex I played at last year's LBGS too.

You might also want to have a think about a GB - you'll be lucky to find a Rumour in your budget but a Spitfire is a definite possibility.

Edited by TheGreek

the G&L builders don't do individual sales so you need to find a shop that are their distributors, sort out what you want - their finishing options and choice of neck profiles is quite broad to say the least - and order. from what i can gather you will have change left from £1.5k, even if you buy straight from US with duty tax etc. on top. (BCers who have done this may be better informed on this, hopefully they can shed some light... Maybe better not, GAS attack imminent!)

if you do a search on evilbay there are quite a few US shops selling them on there so you can get na idea what can be bought already. but you can get a custom order from one of them directly i suppose. not sure if there is a UK distributor that can sort out a custom build.

what you get is a mean bass machine, Leo's ultimate gift to the world of playing bass, the L2k is truly spectacular, no idea why it is so underrated. best of P/J/StingRay vibes in one and anything in between. tributes (indonesia-built budget versions) second hand in as new condition going on here for under 300 quid should be made illegal.

If you like Stingrays, how about one of these?? ;)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278059-rare-usa-lakland-55-76-stingray-5/

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278055-sei-ashbirdseye-maple-custom-5-string

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282718-musicman-stingray-5-neck-through-probably-the-only-one-in-the-uk

• 1 month later...

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1465843586' post='3071530']
Treat yourself to an ACG, plenty of styles to choose from.
[/quote]

I did that. Last July. Received it a few weeks ago and it's worth every penny and more. The best thing is it means I still have THIS year's purchase left :-D

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1460962082' post='3030073']
I have tried / owned most of the basses you have. I assume it is 4 strings and fretted, so based on your current staple and my personal opinion I'd buy a Spector Euro. It is ergonomic, great sounding and nice looking.

[/quote]
I agree, get a Spector, really comfortable to play, the curved body sets them apart from the electric planks.