Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.10, Surrey, Saturday 24th September 2016

silverfoxnik

What can I say that hasn't already been said..... apart from to reiterate everything!!
Nik, Colin etc.... thanks for all your hard work and organisation. Alex, Herbie (what a star!) and John - thankyou for sharing your talents and expertise. My fellow bassists - thank you for sharing your equipment, enthusiasm and laughter :)
On a personal note - thanks to Simon for temporarily clearing the fog in my brain re: compression! lol!

I didn't come away with any GAS.... but I did come away with a renewed enthusiasm for my instrument and respect for my fellow bassists :)

Best time I've had in a while..... and best value for money in ages! Cheers to all and here's to the next one!

Thx to all of the people who made this an outstanding day.

Special moments include meeting all the Basschat members and their bass gear and having the chance to talk to Rhino and John about Andy Fraser's influence on bass playing and his amazing song writing/compositional skills.

The enigmatic Herbie made me feel quite emotional as he described his musical/humanist journey in the art of bass playing over the last 60 years.I was fortunate to discuss with Herbie was who actually played bass on the Love Affair single "Everlasting Love" and the background to how he composed his only solo single from 1978 "Don't Take my Bass Away",

I always felt that I was missing out not being able to afford to visit the New York Bass Player magazine annual event in New York but the Americans just missed out on the best UK bass event ever. :D :D :D :D

PS ,WAL bass collection was spectacular.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1474838271' post='3140993']
What can I say that hasn't already been said..... apart from to reiterate everything!!
Nik, Colin etc.... thanks for all your hard work and organisation. Alex, Herbie (what a star!) and John - thankyou for sharing your talents and expertise. My fellow bassists - thank you for sharing your equipment, enthusiasm and laughter :)
On a personal note - thanks to Simon for temporarily clearing the fog in my brain re: compression! lol!

I didn't come away with any GAS.... but I did come away with a renewed enthusiasm for my instrument and respect for my fellow bassists :)

Best time I've had in a while..... and best value for money in ages! Cheers to all and here's to the next one!
[/quote]

As long as you've got more than one knob Simon is the go to man for compression!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1474873651' post='3141091']
That's a really nice photo Silvia! :)

Any chance you could send me a copy to email to both Herbie and John? I'll PM you my email address..
[/quote]

Thanks Nik - you can download the original from Flickr: [url="https://flic.kr/s/aHskHvUC5V"]https://flic.kr/s/aHskHvUC5V[/url]
I've also asked John for friendship on FB, waiting to see if he accepts me. :)

Edited by bluejay

I had a lovely day, thanks to everyone for organising it, its been a few years since I could get along to one, can't believe I'm still the compression monkey :P. Its always a pleasure to help someone out who is struggling with compression, the noblest of effects ;)

As always Herbie was outstanding, amazing watching the Walk on the Wildside rendition, worth significantly more than the price of admission to watch that alone!

I must try and remember to get to the jam room sometime, I'm always too busy chatting to everyone :D

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1474880883' post='3141149']

Thanks Nik - you can download the original from Flickr: [url="https://flic.kr/s/aHskHvUC5V"]https://flic.kr/s/aHskHvUC5V[/url]
I've also asked John for friendship on FB, waiting to see if he accepts me. :)
[/quote]

This is literally my first moment online since dumping my bass gear in the house the on Saturday, repacking the car with suitcases, little boys and wives and heading off to Somerset on Saturday night to do best man duties at my brother in law's wedding and then visiting my little boy's best friend in hospital in Bristol yesterday. So I'm coming a bit late to the party.

I recall about 10 months ago chatting to Nik and him saying.... "This will be the 10th anniversary Bass Bash, I'd really like to make is something special." And later, "Do you think I'd manage to convince Herbie and Paul from Wal to come along?" Well, Nik, in terms of making it something special.... Mission accomplished! What a truly great event in every way. Huge thanks from me too! And huge thanks to all the others organisers too... Hamster and Mrs Hamster, Sylvia and Jack and everyone else involved behind the scenes. Well done guys. What a day.

It was great chatting and hanging out on the Wal stand. And the talks were amazing, especially Herbie and John. The rendition of WotWS will live in the memory forever. And it was only afterwards I realised all the folks I'd not managed to get round to having a proper chat with because of being so busy and absorbed in all things bass... Sorry Jack, Sylvia, Dave, Gary and others too... the day flew past too quick. Next time!

Can't wait to read Sylvia's blog, and can't wait for No 11!

Edited by TrevorR

Thanks Trevor! :)

Same for me too, I'm sure there were lots of people I didn't get round to talking to, so apologies to anyone I didn't speak to..

Like you, the rendition of 'Walk on the Wild Side' was really something special, as was the whole day itself... And I keep remembering so many amazing little insights from the day, such as Herbie's comments about making sure always you take a moment to think about Tempo.. Or, 'play every day if you can, but make sure that you always play something, don't just noodle around'. And the little grain of wisdom that he picked up from Charlie Mingus in 1959 about 'Play and sing, sing and play' was just brilliant.. Simple stuff, but so much behind it!

We've had lots of really good talks at previous Bashes, but this was the first one where we had any guests actually performing, so to see John Bentley demonstrate some of his bass lines from Squeeze tunes and talk us through them - how he drew on influences to create them, etc, etc, - was absolutely brilliant!

And to see Herbie's enthusiasm and sheer joy when he was playing - bearing in mind how long he's been a pro musician - it was priceless! :)