Why become a member? ×

Silent band,

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1460794237' post='3028731']
We did this at a festival a couple of years ago. Everything went straight to the PA and we wore headphones, as did the audience. All you could hear without the headphones was the drums. It was sh*te.
[/quote]

If the drums aren't silent, what's the point?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460795871' post='3028751']
Quite, how are you going to flap your trousers? An electric fan?
[/quote]

It would have to be a quiet one though, try one of these [url="http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans-and-heaters/cooling-fans.aspx"]http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans-and-heaters/cooling-fans.aspx[/url]

Back in the late 90's I used to dep with a band who had no backline, an electronic kit, and everything in-ear. Cutting edge at the time, but for me, it was a soulless and gutless experience, despite their big Turbo Sound rig front of house. I would imagine, even with improvements in audio technology since then, it would be the same for the audience. The ambience created by a live show would be utterly lost.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1460808768' post='3028955']
Get some big screens and the band could play remotely so they wouldn't even have to travel to the gig.
[/quote]

Or even better everyone could just stay home and watch MTV......

I heard about a metal band in the US adopting the PODs/electronic drums/IEMs approach (with all the sound going out through a small PA) so they could do house concerts, gigs at student/fraternity houses, etc. Interesting idea. But, like everyone's said, a bit lacking in the atmosphere you only get in a very loud room.

There's a local covers band (Blue Arse Fly) who have gone down this route, electronic kit, no backline, musicians with IEM's. I think they had some vocal monitors turned down low but that may be a false memory. Behind the stage you could clearly hear the tapping of the sticks on the rubber pads and a bit of vocals acoustically, out front it sounded like most of us probably sound. Quite enjoyed them.

I'd find the atmosphere a bit odd but I wonder if you get used to it.

I think this concept would be great at weddings etc where noise can be an issue.

Use something like a Flyrig Bass, guitards use similar, PODs etc, drummer uses a (decent) e-kit, everything goes into the mixer and all the band use IEMs, then could either be straight to PA at more reasonable volumes, or as OP suggested, beamed to BT headphones.

Might be a bit weird for the singer though, to be basically singing to themselves in a quiet room! ;)

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1460818789' post='3029070']
Might be a bit weird for the singer though, to be basically singing to themselves in a quiet room! ;)
[/quote]

Any singer who already uses IEMs should manage OK.

There's a lot of gear to get though - PODs, IEMs, mixers, a decent full-range small PA (that US metal band I mentioned used that Bose setup with the tall, skinny speakers), and, if you're getting the PA, you'll probably get the lighting rig and so on too. Altogether probably just as expensive, if not more so, than any amp rig setup. But it does give you the versatility to do more or less any size room, from someone's living room to a good-sized conference room or ballroom. Plus you have the advantage that you can have your band mix essentially preset, with no soundman required.

I do like the idea of putting everything through a small PA for the sake of versatility, but I can't get onboard with the whole 'silent disco' idea, with people just listening on Bluetooth headphones. That's just w@nky hipster rubbish. :D

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1460808768' post='3028955']
Get some big screens and the band could play remotely so they wouldn't even have to travel to the gig.
[/quote]

It's called 'event cinema'. Seemingly more popular for theatre and opera but I notice KISS in Las Vegas are on this list as well:

http://www.odeon.co.uk/eventcinema/

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1460816097' post='3029045']
I know a guy who is serious about this being the future, pay per view basically.
[/quote]

Apparently YouTube is the primary way that kids listen to music these days, over and above Spotify, iTunes, etc. Broadcasting your gig on YouTube is a pretty big deal if you can arrange it.

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1460818789' post='3029070']
I think this concept would be great at weddings etc where noise can be an issue.

Use something like a Flyrig Bass, guitards use similar, PODs etc, drummer uses a (decent) e-kit, everything goes into the mixer and all the band use IEMs, then could either be straight to PA at more reasonable volumes, or as OP suggested, beamed to BT headphones.

[/quote]

I have played in a trio for years that does this already, variax guitar, elec upright bass and electric drums. We can talk to each other at normal conversation volume levels behind the pa!