Why become a member? ×

Flea's National Anthem at Lakers vs. Jazz

bluesparky

Whereas everyone knows this is the best version of the famously hard to sing Star Spangled Banner. From The Naked Gun 2.5

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxHnXajIex4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=sxHnXajIex4[/url]

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1460736510' post='3028356']
Luv it and I don't normally like the bowl of noodle type of playing, very Hendrix that at the time had very similar reactions from the lovely good ol US of A.

Ta very glad
[/quote]

Yes. Me too. Thought it was quite good.

I'm kind of getting a feel for the US Anthem thing. I'm guessing it's all part of being "free". Playing it straight would be a bit too conformist for them.

I guess that's what they find so "English" and dare I say stuffy, about us and our queen.

Bass played solo is like one of those blokes you see doing a marathon in a diving suit with lead boots. Novel and laudable to a point, but ultimately a futile exercise best achieved by another means. This was no exception. Except whatever he'd played it on, it would've been terrible*.

* Actually, if he'd gone for it on the euphonium, it'd would've had a fascination all its own: parping and farting out the tune whilst leaping around...yeah, I'd have watched that...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1460789522' post='3028696']
Bass played solo is like one of those blokes you see doing a marathon in a diving suit with lead boots. Novel and laudable to a point, but ultimately a futile exercise best achieved by another means.
[/quote]

I think bass solos can work, but the style in which they are played is important. The Victor Wooton stuff, where he seems to aproach it like a classical guitar works, jazz solos where it's used like a double bass seem to work and even the occasional slappy, tappy fill can sound great.

But I agree with you in that examples like this just trying to play it like a distorted skinny stringer rarely sound anything other than awful.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1460720838' post='3028150']
So a bassplayer is given the oportunity of playing a very high profile tune on a very high profile event and he plays sh*te like that! Hahahahahaha unbelieveable really
Bassdom should feel let down.

P.S i'm not a Flea fan i might add.
[/quote]

I'm a big Flea fan.... but I was disappointed. He can do much better than that. :mellow:

Not my generation, never been a fan.Never considered him as a big league player.

Flea is not and has never been in the same league as a McCartney, Stanley Clark, Larry Grahm, Rocco Prestia, Chuck Rainy or Willie Weeks etc...

I thought it was embarrassing.

To his defense it's not a very good vehicle for bass guitar

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461001616' post='3030553']
Not my generation, never been a fan.Never considered him as a big league player.

Flea is not and has never been in the same league as a McCartney, Stanley Clark, Larry Grahm, Rocco Prestia, Chuck Rainy or Willie Weeks etc...

Blue
[/quote]

That's very subjective.
I'd argue that probably Flea himself would say he is *NOT* in the same league as those guys ;) but he has been pretty influential too. McCartney leaves me cold, while a lot of Flea's stuff really speaks to me (a lot of it leaves me cold too... Flea is capable of the most beautiful basslines and the most inane too...).

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1461009449' post='3030657']

That's very subjective.
I'd argue that probably Flea himself would say he is *NOT* in the same league as those guys ;) but he has been pretty influential too. McCartney leaves me cold, while a lot of Flea's stuff really speaks to me (a lot of it leaves me cold too... Flea is capable of the most beautiful basslines and the most inane too...).
[/quote]

Were not that far apart. What speaks to us usually is generational.

I've always said and been criticized for my opinion that unless your into your 60s, most of the bass players from 50 years ago are probably not relevant to you.

Blue

Blue
[/quote]

Flea is a major player in the bass playing community. Wouldn't have thought that was in question. A decent percentage of bassists out there if asked who are the influenced by, flea would be in the list.

But yes.... It was a car crash bass solo.

Blue
[/quote]i would imagine he is a lot more famous than all of those bar McCartney

Here's my take on it.

Flea, a musician, a bass player - was invited to play a rendition of a famous tune to start a football game. He played what he felt in his heart, and heard with his ears. The tone he chose and the notes he chose were what he wanted to share. I am sorry that so many people didn't hear what he wanted to say. I am sorry that some people think his 'tone' was bad or wrong. I don't know which of the notes he played were planned, and which were improvised - I don't know whether he heard some of them as 'in' or some of them as 'out'. I do know he loves music, loves the bass and loves the Lakers - and I sure he loved what he did.

I think he looked confident, focused and lost in the moment. That's all I ever want from music.

Remember if you don't 'get' Miles Davis or One Direction or Flea - then perhaps you have something to learn. It's not the artist's duty to make you understand.

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1461083032' post='3031309']
Here's my take on it.

Flea, a musician, a bass player - was invited to play a rendition of a famous tune to start a football game. He played what he felt in his heart, and heard with his ears. The tone he chose and the notes he chose were what he wanted to share. I am sorry that so many people didn't hear what he wanted to say. I am sorry that some people think his 'tone' was bad or wrong. I don't know which of the notes he played were planned, and which were improvised - I don't know whether he heard some of them as 'in' or some of them as 'out'. I do know he loves music, loves the bass and loves the Lakers - and I sure he loved what he did.

I think he looked confident, focused and lost in the moment. That's all I ever want from music.

Remember if you don't 'get' Miles Davis or One Direction or Flea - then perhaps you have something to learn. It's not the artist's duty to make you understand.
[/quote]
Fair comment. I guess also, that is what happens when you take a simple tune and try to do something unique and individual with it.

Can't say I'm impressed that after the announcer said "remove you hats", he didn't. But could he have been nervous?
Lack of confidence in what he'd "prepared"?
Was it prepared?
Had he forgotten what he'd prepared?
If you asked him afterwards, would he say he was proud of it?

What would YOU do?
How about a few folk here post on this thread THEIR rendition of the "Stars & Stripes" ? (No, I'm no massive Flea fan either.)
Need the music? [url="https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=88014765C749B87!205&authkey=!ADeEgLtmLqvZrd4"]The Star Spangled Banner[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] - USA national anthem :D[/size][/font][/color]

He should have remembered the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

This is from nearly 7 years ago - Lakers v Rocket, game 5 play-off.
It's just over 2 minutes - more straight ahead all round. When you get to about 1 minute, turn up the volume and enjoy classic bass tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGuEagHDL9M

Balcro.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1461048992' post='3030863']

Flea is a major player in the bass playing community. Wouldn't have thought that was in question. A decent percentage of bassists out there if asked who are the influenced by, flea would be in the list.

But yes.... It was a car crash bass solo.
[/quote]

Flea is not a major player in my generation's community of bass players.

Blue

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1461086749' post='3031368']
He should have remembered the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

This is from nearly 7 years ago - Lakers v Rocket, game 5 play-off.
It's just over 2 minutes - more straight ahead all round. When you get to about 1 minute, turn up the volume and enjoy classic bass tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGuEagHDL9M

Balcro.
[/quote]

What tone?

Blue