Why become a member? ×

Flea's National Anthem at Lakers vs. Jazz

bluesparky

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1460729821' post='3028275']
As a rule, I think national anthems shouldn't be 'creatively interpreted'
[/quote]

Almost universally, I agree....

Almost....the first 1.24 of this are the exception. But I'm not sure for what reason ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHuwP6EK34[/media]

Edited by ahpook

Perhaps this should be in the "Ive just hacked off my ears with a rusty bread knife" thread, because listening to 20 seconds of this made me want to hack off my ears with a rusty bread knife.
Bass can be a wonderful solo instrument (e.g. messrs Manring, Lawson, Hellborg etc), but this? Oish.

I can't help but think of bass solos as uncomfortably toe-curling events. Even in the very best hands it's like expecting Michael Angelo to produce something beautiful with a JCB and some dynamite. This however, has made me feel slightly less uncomfortable about my own limitations.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1460741069' post='3028407']
I can't help but think of bass solos as uncomfortably toe-curling events. Even in the very best hands it's like expecting Michael Angelo to produce something beautiful with a JCB and some dynamite. This however, has made me feel slightly less uncomfortable about my own limitations.
[/quote]

I know it's probably a different topic entirely but I find even the most 'musical' of soloing abit limited when played on bass.

The flea thing was actually a bit sad for me. I know he's much better than that.

I assume it was meant to be a homage to Hendrix kind of thing as he is a big fan, he has a tattoo of Hendrix on his shoulder.
I love early Chili Peppers but was bad, and I really don't like saying that.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1460729821' post='3028275']
Terrible, terrible, terrible.

As a rule, I think national anthems shouldn't be 'creatively interpreted' and yes, he should have taken his cap off; that is just common courtesy.
[/quote]

Agree entirely with Terrible, terrible, terrible. but not the second - why not mess around with them, most (I'll exclude the French one) are so terrible,poor tunes, have dated badly, and are generally a bag of jingoistic nonsense.

edited as was probably being a bit too provocative, and don't want to go upsetting anyone.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1460734102' post='3028327']
Almost universally, I agree....
Almost....the first 1.24 of this are the exception. But I'm not sure for what reason ;)
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I was thinking that I liked the Queen version of God Save the Queen on A Night At The Opera, but I was too lazy to mention it.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1460743557' post='3028467']
Agree entirely with Terrible, terrible, terrible. but not the second - why not mess around with them, most (I'll exclude the French one) are so terrible,poor tunes, have dated badly, and are generally a bag of jingoistic nonsense.
[/quote]

Agree.
I thought this (link below) was a creative, well arranged, rousing over the top, big silver screen, Hollywood, chord substituted extravaganza (just missing the Broadway style show girls).
Clearly where Flea got his motivating, artistically crafted, moving version from. :D
http://youtu.be/S2HNH9orkTQ

Edited by lowdown