Why become a member? ×

Another new piece of ambient

BassBus

By the end of February I had an abstract, improvised piece almost ready to film. Then I took ill. Coming back to it after three weeks I just couldn't get the same vibe from it so abandoned it. However out of that came this.

I had a complaint from a bloke I know who didn't like me never showing my face. Hence the name "Ian's Request".

I played this on the ACG Finn which is strung with TI Jazz Flats tuned EADGC. The Ebow is probably a bit too dominant at points.

Usual [color=#ff0000][b]WARNING[/b][/color] about a bass guitar not sounding like a bass guitar. Also, if you think Death Metal is the best thing since Justine Bieber then this might not be your cup of tea.

http://youtu.be/2Ps3iGVRfQM

Glad you enjoyed it. Signal chain? The instrument goes into the vol pedal then into the GEB-7. That is on all the time with a very slight boost at 120 and 500hz. Then into the Mooer slow engine followed by the Ditto x2. That is used to play a loop while I play around with effects at the end of a tune.

After that comes the micro POG and the Zoom MS60b. The zoom is used for effects I don't use so often and don't want to spend money on stand alone pedals. The Zoom splits the signal into stereo and goes into TC Flashback then to TC Hall of Fame. HOF has a lovely warmth that isn't there in the same way in the following Strymon Big Sky. The Big Sky is a phenomenal pedal and I wouldn't be without it. That's really what produces all the big pad sounds. The stereo signal comes out of that and into the RC-50.

I'm looking into the idea of taking a signal from the RC-50 sub output through a aby pedal and back through the effects chain. Should be able to produce some more interesting sounds from that. It's all a learning process at the moment. I've only been doing this kind of stuff for a few months so it's lots of fun trying out new ideas.