Why become a member? ×

"Is your musical equipment item still available"

Guest MoJo

Posted my TRBX504 on Gumtree this morning and then received a text asking if my 'musical equipment item' was still available. Smelling a rat, I nevertheless replied, "Yes it is". Shortly after, I received the following email :-

[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]"Great... please remove the advert and consider it sold as i am paying your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have done thorough check on the advert and i'm fine with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to view or collect it due to house bound i went through throat cancer surgery and couldn't talk more but will be ok soon but i have an agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today and pick up arrangement will commence after you have cashed your money...if that is ok with you...[/size][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the agent about it now and send me your registered PayPal email,so i can make arrangement for payment. Thanks" [/size][/font][/size]

[size=3][size=4]I told them, in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't be handing my bass over to any 'agent'. Scum bags[/size][/size]

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1460376801' post='3025078']
[size=3][size=4]I told them, in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't be handing my bass over to any 'agent'.[/size][/size]
[/quote]

Why not, if they've paid for it? Maybe I misunderstood.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1460377007' post='3025081']
[/quote]
i think paypal would refund the "buyer" thier money once they had recieved it and then went on to inform paypal it was broiken, not sold as advetised, wrong colour etc etc...

[/quote]

They pay by PayPal, "agent" collects the bass, then they tell PayPal that they never got the bass and get a refund.

[/quote]

They would probably tell PayPal the agent couldn't collect it and get the money refunded leaving Mono moneyed and baseless. I can't see many people who have just had throat cancer treatment buying a bass.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1460377525' post='3025093']
Be kind. Not everyone knows the ins and outs of the process.
[/quote]

Which is why these lowlives are still getting away with it. :angry:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1460377568' post='3025096']
He's buying it for his cousin, whose name appears to be asap....
[/quote]

:lol: Asap will have to buy his own bass

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1460377961' post='3025110']
As someone who sells the odd thing on eBay, I'm always getting "Can I send a courier/agent?" messages. My response is always "If they pay me in cash". Funny, they never follow up...
[/quote]

;)

I've sold loads of stuff on Bumtree. I always state cash on collection only, and delete emails and texts like this.

If someone pays for anything using PayPal, then it has to be sent by a track able means.

They still do this because people still fall for it. Kind of like the people who've phoned me twice in the last week, claiming to be from Microsoft and telling me my MacBook has been sending them error messages. People still hand over control of their computers to them, and pay them sums of money for a nonexistent software update to clear a nonexistent virus.

Edited by ambient

Go down the market at closing time, get a couple of boxes of the rotten veg they are chucking, fill an empty guitar/bass shipping carboard box with it, tape it up nice and secure/airtight and hand it over to the 'agent' with a smile when they collect it.

If annoying companies spam you with junk containing prepaid envelopes, posting back a couple of banana skins can be quite persuasive in getting them to remove you from their mailing list.

[/quote]

They won't have "paid". You'll get an email that claims to be from Paypal, but isn't really, or a dodgy Western Union deal or some other form of scam. I think the classic form of this one is an email from "paypal" that says "we have received this payment, we will release the funds to you when you enter the tracking information". Potentially they'll do a classic paypal chargeback scam but I think its more likely they'd just try and scam you completely.

[QUOTE]As far as I'm aware, if they pay you as a friend/gift, they can't reclaim the money.[/QUOTE]Even if so, the buyer would then have no protection (so why would they?), and in fact it is not a gift payment so in event of a dispute none of this is going to look very clever at all to Paypal......?