Left leaderboard
wateroftyne

The HandBox Amplification thread

16 minutes ago, peteb said:

Have Handbox stopped making the R400 head??

No, but they do build them in batches. I guess sometimes they might not have any in stock.

I am starting to seriously consider a R400. I’ve seen various clips and heard people who seem to know their stuff rave about them, so I am interested.

I recently bought a Mesa D800, which sounds great for a Class D amp but has two issues – it struggles for volume a bit on certain stages (despite being rated @ 800w) and I find it sometimes difficult to tweak the EQ in difficult rooms. It’s ridiculously light, but as long as it’s a one hand lift, I’m not too bothered about that.

The two things I wonder about the Handbox is: 1) is it loud enough to have the headroom needed when onstage with a reasonably loud rock band, and 2) how usable is the three knob EQ (especially when you are trying to cut through with a distorted guitar and lots of keys)??

1. Yes

2. YMMV, but in my experience it’s incredibly clear in the mix by default because the mids shine. Any EQing I do is subtle just to tweak it to the room, if at all. If you’re an EQ junkie, you might need something more... or think you do, anyway.

Edited by wateroftyne

@peteb a mate of mine in Harrogate has one.  He is a member on here but I can't remember his basschat handle.  I'm sure he'd be willing to let you hear his.  (I hope I'm remembering correctly that you're in Yorkshire).  Let me know if interested and I'll put you in touch.

13 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

1. Yes

2. YMMV, but in my experience it’s incredibly clear in the mix by default because the mids shine. Any EQing I do is subtle just to tweak it to the room, if at all. If you’re an EQ junkie, it might blow your mind a bit...

Not exactly an EQ junkie, but it is a bit of a concern

4 minutes ago, Kirky said:

@peteb a mate of mine in Harrogate has one.  He is a member on here but I can't remember his basschat handle.  I'm sure he'd be willing to let you hear his.  (I hope I'm remembering correctly that you're in Yorkshire).  Let me know if interested and I'll put you in touch.

@Kirky Cheers, that would definitely be very helpful (I'm in North Bradford). 

Thanks a lot...

I play in a heavy Drop C band with 2 loud guitarists and hard hitting drummer ..... Volumes no problem at all with the R-400 ( no struggles), obviously cabs can play a part ( I use a 6x10)

As been said in this thread....I was initially concerned about the apparent lack of eq before I got one, it's very good and versitile .mixing it up with the drive or clean ,contour bright button gives it plenty of very usable different sounds.

It just cuts through wonderfully.still amazed by it

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

Well. I finally gigged the R400 through the Barefaced 610 yesterday in a smallish pub playing some rock type covers. This thing is mighty! What a sound, loud, clear and punch and cut through beautifully. What a tone too. I used the DB751 for a festival the day before which was magnificent but this little thing was as good yesterday. Well happy 😁

6 minutes ago, walshy said:

Well. I finally gigged the R400 through the Barefaced 610 yesterday in a smallish pub playing some rock type covers. This thing is mighty! What a sound, loud, clear and punch and cut through beautifully. What a tone too. I used the DB751 for a festival the day before which was magnificent but this little thing was as good yesterday. Well happy 😁

great stuff!

It's great to see word is finally getting out about these. It's about time... my throat is close to hoarse 🙂

• Haha 1