Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

3 hours ago, danbowskill said:

I'd only ever use it at 4ohm and it's incredibly loud....real old money 400w.

Yup it makes good sense at 4ohms, for sure.

But my current regular gigging cab is 8ohms...

And I'm about to get a Fearless F112 cab (which is also 8 ohms and before you ask, nope I'm not planning on pairing them up to get a 4 ohm load 😃)

I came across this rather 'on point' thread from a couple of years back which was very useful for my set-up-to-be and also a little bit fruity...

Edited by Al Krow

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup it makes good sense at 4ohms, for sure.

But my current regular gigging cab is 8ohms...

And I'm about to get a Fearless F112 cab (which is also 8 ohms and before you ask, nope I'm not planning on pairing them up to get a 4 ohm load 😃)

I came across this rather 'on point' thread from a couple of years back which was very useful for my set-up-to-be and also a little bit fruity...

That's the one I bought. I run it into barefaced two 10 and it's brilliant, worth every banana!

After a few years of revolving door amps I've still got this one, which says a lot. I sold my Mesa walkabout once I'd bought this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colleya said:

That's the one I bought. I run it into barefaced two 10 and it's brilliant, worth every banana!

After a few years of revolving door amps I've still got this one, which says a lot. I sold my Mesa walkabout once I'd bought this.

And the fact that you preferred this to a Mesa WA also says a lot, too! (Speaking as an M6 owner who loves his amp).

Does anyone know if the R400 will run below 4 ohms? It's clearly in my ballpark given the Walkabout has stayed with me longer than any amp ever, but the Walkabout's clever trick of running down to 2.67 ohms means I can use my fave 4+8 ohm (or even 3 x 8 ohm) cabs...

16 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Does anyone know if the R400 will run below 4 ohms? It's clearly in my ballpark given the Walkabout has stayed with me longer than any amp ever, but the Walkabout's clever trick of running down to 2.67 ohms means I can use my fave 4+8 ohm (or even 3 x 8 ohm) cabs...

I believe a couple of 2ohm versions have been sent to the States. It might be worth pinging a message to Leszek...?

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

And the fact that you preferred this to a Mesa WA also says a lot, too! (Speaking as an M6 owner who loves his amp).

Exactly. The walkabout was great but wasn't as versatile as the handbox for me. Of course, YMMV.

Would be really interesting to A/B the Mesa M6 with the Handbox. Similar weight, the Mesa is 600W in 4ohm / 2 ohms which gives it a bit more headroom.

And I'm guessing that the Mesa is like double the price which is clearly very much in HB's favour... 2890 Zl at 4.89Zl to the £ = £591 add my guesstimate of £109 shipping, £25 forex = £725 to your door.

Or a bunch of bananas less if you can get from someone used 🐵🍌

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its here and good god!!! Just a quick noodle through the Barefaced 610 and it is MIGHTY!!! No need to go into mega details as its been covered in this thread better than I will be able to explain but if you get a chance, try it! Buy it! The tone and sound/heft is mega. I was expecting something decent  but blimey its good, I mean really good. Simple to use and my word! Looks like it may get a run out with the Fu's this weekend at Cleethorpes Fake Fest to see how it performs at 'louder' 😂

And I mean for the price......

0BFE7665-04F2-48BA-BFDD-A398EC3A9942.thumb.jpeg.387145f6a848e863d7c6b5d03c811941.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, walshy said:

Well, its here and good god!!! Just a quick noodle through the Barefaced 610 and it is MIGHTY!!! No need to go into mega details as its been covered in this thread better than I will be able to explain but if you get a chance, try it! Buy it! The tone and sound/heft is mega. I was expecting something decent  but blimey its good, I mean really good. Simple to use and my word! Looks like it may get a run out with the Fu's this weekend at Cleethorpes Fake Fest to see how it performs at 'louder' 😂

And I mean for the price......

0BFE7665-04F2-48BA-BFDD-A398EC3A9942.thumb.jpeg.387145f6a848e863d7c6b5d03c811941.jpeg

Sure is the biz 🙂 what kind of music you playing with it?

I play Drop C p bass into a 6x10 as well...

Bright button in cut the lows a touch, highs just past noon ,contour off and through clean channel......= My perfect tone. Such a cool amp

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

Sure is the biz 🙂 what kind of music you playing with it?

I play Drop C p bass into a 6x10 as well...

Bright button in cut the lows a touch, highs just past noon ,contour off and through clean channel......= My perfect tone. Such a cool amp

Play a lot of festivals with Fu Fighters, and another rock based covers band. The Aggie and 610 is unbelievable with a P bass and flats which is my main rig, but the HB is bloody good! May use it Sat in Cleethorpes 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, walshy said:

Play a lot of festivals with Fu Fighters, and another rock based covers band. The Aggie and 610 is unbelievable with a P bass and flats which is my main rig, but the HB is bloody good! May use it Sat in Cleethorpes 

Let us know how you get on with it compared to the Aguilar please

10 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

Let us know how you get on with it compared to the Aguilar please

Yeah I’m going to rehearsal Thu so will try it out, all being well I’ll gig it on Sat

43 minutes ago, Mothra22 said:

Certainly not a gig problem, but the fan on the R-400 is quite loud, no...

I don't think its an issue. certainly not loud loud! I would doubt if you would ever notice unless in a studio and even then its not that bad. I certainly never stopped and thought, that fan is awful noisy? Maybe I got a super quiet one?😉😁

Edited by walshy

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

Nice. I've got a real itch to buy a barfaced super twin to pair with my R 400. Anyone tried theirs out with one?

Only at bedroom levels unfortunately 😟. Sounded great so at volume I’m pretty certain it would be epic.