Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1469036095' post='3095301']

I just asked him - there are no plans for it to go into production. He says there's not enough demand for the bigger, pricier heads. :-(
[/quote]

That's a pity. Great set of features. I suppose he's unlikely to consider a similar preamp arrangement with lower output power either...

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1469090717' post='3095593']
Hi Wateroftyne. Thanks for that, I've mailed him directly this time, rather than from the contacts page on the website. Here's hoping.
[/quote]

Please keep us posted with your experience. I'm wanting an R400 for a new project but want to ensure the ordering process is clean and easy.

Yay! I have contact with Leszek. It seems that maybe there is a problem with the email page of their website, and thanks to Wateroftyne's suggestion to email him direct, we're in business. July is holiday time in Poland, so production will resume in August.

Leszek's just posted a Facebook update featuring gratuitous innards shots of the WB-100 valve head.

Again I must emphasise that I'm not technical, but form what I can gather, he's testing an uprated spec featuring KT-88 tubes, and a second fan, upping the power to 160W. This spec will cost more (exactly what, I don't know).

I SO want to hear this.

Interesting to read about these amps. There are SO many top quality amps to choose from these days, many of which you will be able to easily try out with your gear in exchange for a short drive.

What is it about these particular amps that makes it worth the risk taking a chance on one?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469490138' post='3098796']
Interesting to read about these amps. There are SO many top quality amps to choose from these days, many of which you will be able to easily try out with your gear in exchange for a short drive.

What is it about these particular amps that makes it worth the risk taking a chance on one?
[/quote]

If we're talking about the R-400, it's primarily the tone (of course) but there's also the design and construction which are impeccable. The fit and finish is fantastic - no cheap plastic anywhere - and certainly not something you'd expect in the price range. But to hammer the point home... the tone is the first thing that got me, in a jaw-drop kind-of way.

Hopefully a few more will work their way across to the UK to give people a chance to try 'em - they deserve an audience.

If an R-400 happens to find it's way to the North West I would be really interested in trying it.
I've tried just about every Class D on the market and they are all somewhat lacking. So I have concluded that Class A/B, like my MarkBass is what I need.
I did get hold of a Taurus , which is also Class A/B and made in Poland, but there are 2 very flimsy switches on it that were damaged in transit so it went back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this thread and I have been fascinated by these polish amps. The fact that wateroftyne has banned his walkabout in favour of a r 400 makes me thinking a lot. My mesa is my absolute amp, but in my future I see a beautiful contender, hybrid or all tube, and two hanbox models got my attention, the 100 or 160 watts all tube (please, kt 88) and that two channel Ampeg/Fender hybrid. It's a shame that handbox doesn't have any intention to start production on this last one. Hey, WOT, would you help me summing up the top features of the 160 watts all tube? I'm interested in weight and price mainly, but waiting to hear it, maybe from you. I do not have a facebook account so... Great vids by the way, keeping the playing consistent is the way to go, great way of doing test and reviews. Last but not least, I can see a si gle 12 ax7 in the pictures, am I missing something?

Edited by sratas

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1471767869' post='3115606']
Hi, I'm new to this thread and I have been fascinated by these polish amps. The fact that wateroftyne has banned his walkabout in favour of a r 400 makes me thinking a lot. My mesa is my absolute amp, but in my future I see a beautiful contender, hybrid or all tube, and two hanbox models got my attention, the 100 or 160 watts all tube (please, kt 88) and that two channel Ampeg/Fender hybrid. It's a shame that handbox doesn't have any intention to start production on this last one. Hey, WOT, would you help me summing up the top features of the 160 watts all tube? I'm interested in weight and price mainly, but waiting to hear it, maybe from you. I do not have a facebook account so... Great vids by the way, keeping the playing consistent is the way to go, great way of doing test and reviews. Last but not least, I can see a si gle 12 ax7 in the pictures, am I missing something?
[/quote]

Hello!

Yep, the WA is a great head, but in my opinion the R-400 leaves it in the dust. I've had it for what, four months now, but still every time I fire it up, I just set the knobs flat, hit a note, and smile. The smooth clarity is a revelation.

Unfortunately I can't help you re: the WB100 valve head as I've never played one, and I think Leszek is still tweaking the spec. All I know is that the front-end is the same as the R-400, which IMO is a great thing.

re: the 12AX7 - I'm not too technical, but is this the pic you're referring to? Let me know what you mean, and I'll ask Leszek...

Hi WOT, nope. I saw the picture if the 160 version with kt 88 I think, and it was an angled shot, but I was able to distinguish four output tubes and a single smaller one, arguably a preamp tube, or a driver tube. I missed the full compliment of the preamp.
Anyway, could you specify a bit more about the differencies between the Walkabout and the 400? Is the handbox more hi fi compared to mesa? My wa is way coloured in the tone department, and that's what I like the most, maybe you want something different?

Since the amp heads appear to be very high quality chances are the other products are as well... Heres a nice looking Handbox combo for just over 300 Euro or about 260 quid sterling... 1x12 with tweeter, 250w and a nice little kick stand... http://www.kami.sklep.pl/hand_box_fortec_312-96055i it doesnt have a speaker out though, 4ohm rating... not heavy either only 15kg...pretty good value if you compare it to whats available from all the usual suspects... :)

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1471781159' post='3115778']
Anyway, could you specify a bit more about the differencies between the Walkabout and the 400? Is the handbox more hi fi compared to mesa? My wa is way coloured in the tone department, and that's what I like the most, maybe you want something different?
[/quote]

I'll try! It's kinda like the WA with the 'colouring' switched off. It's tighter and more focussed in the lows, and the mids are more effortless and expressive - they really respond as you dig in or lay back. Like the WA it has a beautiful top-end that's not harsh or sizzly... just natural and clear like a great DI.

However, the R-400 does have a contour dial which attenuates the mids and pushes it into WA territory as you turn it. I leave it off, but a couple of people who've borrowed the amp preferred to dial a bit in. Driving the pre harder also thickens things out and fuzzes the edges up a bit.

And of course it has the heft of the WA, with the bonus of more headroom :-)