Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Leszek posted an update on Facebook yesterday..

"We would like to inform everyone who is waiting for the tube heads for the WB-100 bass that work on the latest, modernized series is just coming to an end. Although it has taken a long time, however we want and hope that the fruit of our efforts will be an amplifier close to perfection".

LOVE those cases...

295934669_5728678977142260_4480548842570161913_n.jpg

295796894_5728678153809009_1458942430546875411_n.jpg

295931828_5728673397142818_6170516596111375632_n.jpg

And my name is on one of them. My real name is WB-100. :laugh1:

Looking forward to getting it and all thanks to your reviews @wateroftyne

Cheers matey

Dave.

......meanwhile the R400s wait patiently for the wave of WB 100's to be completed.. 

And the logo is back to the older 'Handbox' instead of 'HB', nice touch 

I wish we could get a statement regarding the electronic changes. I committed to an R400 regardless, but it would be nice to know what we're getting. 

I think I

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Did Leszek say the name has gone back to Handbox rather than HB ?

Not seen anything in the pics i've seen so far. ?

Not that it bothers me too much .... just curious as to how its gonna look in the final product.

Dave

picked up from a PM with Leszek

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaybeevee said:

I wish we could get a statement regarding the electronic changes. I committed to an R400 regardless, but it would be nice to know what we're getting. 

I asked Leszek about the changes and this is what he replied:

Hello,

English musicians like the Middle knob, so we made the middle tones.

There was a Contour knob on the R-400 and WB-100 and nobody used it in the UK, and in the US, the contour tone is the norm.

The biggest changes concern the inside of the amplifier, i.e. some very time-consuming assembly operations have been eliminated.

Edited by ikay
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, ikay said:

I asked Leszek about the changes and this is what he replied:

Hello,

English musicians like the Middle knob, so we made the middle tones.

There was a Contour knob on the R-400 and WB-100 and nobody used it in the UK, and in the US, the contour tone is the norm.

The biggest changes concern the inside of the amplifier, i.e. some very time-consuming assembly operations have been eliminated.

I'm guessing the internal time consuming changes were seperate boards for things possibly being combined to one main pre-amp board and then a power board. Possibly using interconnecting plugs etc rather than soldered connections between boards.

That's just my own thoughts and opinion and not from HB.

As for the Contour thing being more popular in US i'm not sure i'd agree as the US amps i've had didn't have a contour knob that i can recall. (Ampeg, Mesa, Genz) The GK 1001Rbii might have had a contour but cant remember.

Dave

19 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Well, the Genzlers have a contour, but that's as well as sweepable mids...everything else I've had from the US has had mids...I think Leszek might be a touch off-piste there...

The GB Streamliners didn't altho it was a while ago when i had one.

Dave

On 24/06/2022 at 13:27, dmccombe7 said:

The EQ comment i made was only my own opinions on why they might have made the change from B, T and Contour to B, M, T.

For me its a bit different from the Stingray thing where its basically B, T or B, M, T with no contour control involved.

Is the contour not a Mid control in effect as it cuts the mid frequencies and in some cases boosts Bass and treble a touch. ? Not sure on that to be honest and its all just me firing out my own thoughts.

Dave

That's what it does on my R-400. Very clever idea IMHO. Getting the mids right is what I spend most time doing on other amps but the Contour pot seems to get me where I want to be much quicker without needing to faff around. Of course, that may not be where YOU want to be 🙂 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

This was actually one of the first bits of feedback I gave him back in the day. I think it's a good move.

Yeah, it’s a name that’s easy to remember and is more distinctive. Good move

• Like 1