Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

17 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Got to use this last night thanks to @warwickhunt. It's been a few years since I used to gig one regularly, and I've remembered how special these things are. The authority in the lows and detail in the mids and highs is absolutely beautiful.

I see you've moved off the "max out the volume and tweak the input gain" approach. Why was this (from reading the rest of the thread I thought this was the builder's recommended way of running the head)? Also - can you share a bit more about the gig and the room please? What was the line up, how big a space were you covering (room or stage), how loud a was the gig, was the DI pre or post EQ? 

Apologies if I've gone a bit "20 questions" on you but I'm trying to read across from your warm and fuzzy feelings about the amp into my situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

I see you've moved off the "max out the volume and tweak the input gain" approach. Why was this (from reading the rest of the thread I thought this was the builder's recommended way of running the head)? Also - can you share a bit more about the gig and the room please? What was the line up, how big a space were you covering (room or stage), how loud a was the gig, was the DI pre or post EQ? 

Apologies if I've gone a bit "20 questions" on you but I'm trying to read across from your warm and fuzzy feelings about the amp into my situation.

Hello Nick!

No problem - ask away 🙂

Short answer to question #1 - I haven't used one for four years, and basically my mind was in R-400 mode. I'd completely forgotten about running the output wide-open until now. 

Here's a clip of the gig. You can't see the room, but it's a fairly large concert room in a club, with about 200 people in it. I had PA support.

Volume-wise, certainly no challenge for the WB-100. It probably didn't even notice.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2022 at 22:08, wateroftyne said:

Hello Nick!

No problem - ask away 🙂

Short answer to question #1 - I haven't used one for four years, and basically my mind was in R-400 mode. I'd completely forgotten about running the output wide-open until now. 

Here's a clip of the gig. You can't see the room, but it's a fairly large concert room in a club, with about 200 people in it. I had PA support.

Volume-wise, certainly no challenge for the WB-100. It probably didn't even notice.

What a fantastic tone. I've decided on a Handbox since my Mesa TT800 order fell thru unless i wait till 2023 and maybe it will happen. 

I'm not sure whether i prefer the R400 or this WB100 but that is so sweet in your vid clip.

Loving the band too. All sound very professional musicians in there. Nice one.

Someone mentioned to me that SIMS were a dealer as they have Handbox advert on their website but from what i can find there are no actual dealers in UK.

Do you know if i simply contact them thru their website address it will be answered. ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

On 15/03/2022 at 09:26, crabman said:

For the last couple of gigs I’ve run a much simpler chain. Cali76 CB into my Noble out to both the desk and straight into the effects return on the WB-100. Glorious tone. 

So a nerdy question......I use both a (reassuringly expensive) Noble and and a Cali 76 as my signal chain (on a passive vintagy bass), and plug it into what ever solid state power stage is on offer.  I also have a Handbox R400, which I just plug straight into, because I assume that the pre-amp stage of the R400 does pretty well the same job as my Noble.  What do you think the difference is?

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What a fantastic tone. I've decided on a Handbox since my Mesa TT800 order fell thru unless i wait till 2023 and maybe it will happen. 

I'm not sure whether i prefer the R400 or this WB100 but that is so sweet in your vid clip.

Someone mentioned to me that SIMS were a dealer as they have Handbox advert on their website but from what i can find there are no actual dealers in UK.

Do you know if i simply contact them thru their website address it will be answered. ?

Dave

Thank you.

They're both amazing heads. I'm still in love with the R-400 after years of ownership - but there's no denying the WB is the only head that could tear me away from it. They both have broadly the same pre's, but that 120w-worth of valves really does slam.

You're best getting in touch with Leszek at [email protected], or keep an eye out for something used.

Whichever you go for, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Thank you.

They're both amazing heads. I'm still in love with the R-400 after years of ownership - but there's no denying the WB is the only head that could tear me away from it. They both have broadly the same pre's, but that 120w-worth of valves really does slam.

You're best getting in touch with Leszek at [email protected], or keep an eye out for something used.

Whichever you go for, you won't be disappointed.

I've been following all your Youtube clips and was very impressed by the R-400 and then i heard you use the WB-100 and it was more powerful sounding with regards the tone yet the clarity was still there.

The R-400 i think would be more than adequate volume wise for what i'm doing but the WB-100 at 120W was a bit worrying altho having read many reviews including the BC & TB threads it doesn't appear to be an issue. 

Also noted that many Mesa Mpulse users have changed over to HB which is always a good sign.

I'll send Leszek an email to see what he can offer me. I've never bought outside UK but from what i've picked up from our very own @Steve Browning is 3% import tax plus 20% VAT plus shipping. I think i can accept that ok.

Many thanks for your help ...........and your vids.

Dave 

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've been following all your Youtube clips and was very impressed by the R-400 and then i heard you use the WB-100 and it was more powerful sounding with regards the tone yet the clarity was still there.

The R-400 i think would be more than adequate volume wise for what i'm doing but the WB-100 at 120W was a bit worrying altho having read many reviews including the BC & TB threads it doesn't appear to be an issue. 

Also noted that many Mesa Mpulse users have changed over to HB which is always a good sign.

I'll send Leszek an email to see what he can offer me. I've never bought outside UK but from what i've picked up from our very own @Steve Browning is 3% import tax plus 20% VAT plus shipping. I think i can accept that ok.

Many thanks for your help ...........and your vids.

Dave 

You’re welcome. 

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I realise you missed out on my WB100 Dave but from an unbiased point (not trying to flog you mine) I can assure you the WB100 goes plenty loud enough!  

I also own a TC Staccato, EBS HD350, Thunderfunk 550 and a Tech Soundsystems Blackcat (1000w rms) and the Handbox could easily keep up with ANY of them.  I gig with a loud guitarist and drummer (Michael has depped for me so he can vouch they are loud) and I had no fear of not being heard without any PA support.  

• Thanks 1

On 06/09/2021 at 13:53, scrumpymike said:

Here's a random video shot at our gig a couple of weeks ago by the owner of the Quantock Brewery on her mobile phone - you'll have to scroll down a bit btw.  Just the R-400 through a pair of Barefaced SC G3 cabs, nothing else added.  Gain was at 12-o'clock for maximum clean input with bass at 1 o'clock and a touch of contour dialled in.  For what it's worth (which may be nothing 🙂) I've never had my bass come through so well - or even at all - on a mobile-phone recording.  OK, so probably says more about how much the phone technology has come on recently.  I'll get my coat....

Silverback at Quantock Brewery

The R400 and a couple of Super Compacts is my exact set up with my white MM or my 71 Jazz and l've never had a better sound...ever!

Edited by Woody1957
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I realise you missed out on my WB100 Dave but from an unbiased point (not trying to flog you mine) I can assure you the WB100 goes plenty loud enough!  

I also own a TC Staccato, EBS HD350, Thunderfunk 550 and a Tech Soundsystems Blackcat (1000w rms) and the Handbox could easily keep up with ANY of them.  I gig with a loud guitarist and drummer (Michael has depped for me so he can vouch they are loud) and I had no fear of not being heard without any PA support.  

I think you mentioned that in your advert that it was loud enough and that's what kind of swayed me towards yours. No probs i wasn't quick enough to get yours but i've since changed my settings on amp sales page to get notifications right away when new ads appear.

I'm glad i saw your advert as i would never have looked at an all valve 120W amp but the tone from those WB-100 amps is incredible.

Depending on price from HB i'll either go for the WB first and if not the R-400 will work for me too.

I might keep an eye on BC ads for couple of weeks before i jump in and buy direct from HB.

Dave 

I'm trying not to fall into the trap of pushing the R-400 just because I happen to use one. The reason I bought the R-400 was not because I thought it was better than the mpulse, but because I wanted an amp that would do more or less the same thing, but was lighter and more portable than carrying an amp in a rackcase around. 

To me, the R-400 is directly comparable to the mpulse in terms of tone, but a bit easier to move around. It isn't as small or as light as a Class D, but it's an easy one-hand lift and takes up less room in the car than the rack while sounding far better (IMO) than any Class D amp. It does definitely sound like a 'proper' amp. The downside is that you don't have the same flexibility with the EQ section, but that isn't an issue to many people and the sound is in there once you suss the EQ on the Handbox out. 

The WB-100 strikes me as more comparable to the Boogie 400+, being an all-valve amp. I am sure I would love to use one, just as I would loved to have had a 400+. But the thing that sold me on the R-400 is the portability. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

I think the HandBox preamp (pretty much the same in the R and WB) is a beautiful thing in its simplicity. There’s no baked-in EQ, which I think is fairly unique. This works well for me ‘cos for my tone, the mids are super-important, and I don’t want to faff about putting them back in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I think the HandBox preamp (pretty much the same in the R and WB) is a beautiful thing in its simplicity. There’s no baked-in EQ, which I think is fairly unique. This works well for me ‘cos for my tone, the mids are super-important, and I don’t want to faff about putting them back in.

That was something that sold it to me. My Mpulse is basically flat with maybe a touch of mid boost. In the punk band i have used the paraEQ mid boost frequencies when my strings are getting a bit old and dull. Mostly i use the paraEQ for cutting ultra low bass frequencies.

Dave 

8 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

The trouble is that I have to faff about taking them out! 

The thing with the paraEQ on the mpulse is that you can decide exactly what frequencies you use - there is no baked in sound. The problem with that is you can get an awful sound if you don't know how to EQ an amp. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

The problem with that is you can get an awful sound if you don't know how to EQ an amp. 

I leave mine flat 99.9% of the time. Sometimes I’ll hit the bright switch if the song needs it. Never sounds anything else than glorious (IMO). I think I’m blessed with basses and a cab that sounds just how I want them to.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I leave mine flat 99.9% of the time. Sometimes I’ll hit the bright switch if the song needs it. Never sounds anything else than glorious (IMO). I think I’m blessed with basses and a cab that sounds just how I want them to.

I was talking about the para on the mpulse rather than the HB. Personally, I like to push the low-mids a little and cut the hi-mids. To do this on the R-400 you have to use the contour control (up to about 11 o'clock for me) and cut the shelved treble control a bit. I may boost the bass a fraction (especially if I am using a jazz bass), or I may cut it if we're in a boomy room. With the mpulse, I have the EQ set on the para and then 'tune in' the frequency on the low-mids to suit the room. 

I've never used the bright switch! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peteb said:

I was talking about the para on the mpulse rather than the HB. Personally, I like to push the low-mids a little and cut the hi-mids. To do this on the R-400 you have to use the contour control (up to about 11 o'clock for me) and cut the shelved treble control a bit. I may boost the bass a fraction (especially if I am using a jazz bass), or I may cut it if we're in a boomy room. With the mpulse, I have the EQ set on the para and then 'tune in' the frequency on the low-mids to suit the room. 

I've never used the bright switch! 

Ah, I understand. I had a similar thing with the Mesa Wakabout. I loved that head but it always seemed like there was too much it too little of a particular frequency, and it was a PITA trying to get to the bottom of it.

The HB sounds so natural from the start.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You guys are making me so jealous.

Think i'm gonna email HB on Monday morning rather than wait for one to appear on BC ads.

Dave

As if by magic Deepfat is selling a HB WB100 on amps for sale😃........fill yer boots!!!

Sorry...just read the complete HB for sale thread, it's my age lol.

Must say well worth the drive imo..

Edited by Woody1957
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Ah, I understand. I had a similar thing with the Mesa Wakabout. I loved that head but it always seemed like there was too much it too little of a particular frequency, and it was a PITA trying to get to the bottom of it.

The HB sounds so natural from the start.

The mpulse has a bit more EQ available on the para than the Walkabout. To me the HB didn't sound natural from the start, as I want something slightly different from the amp to you. However, the underlying tone was great and once I got to grips with using the Contour control, the sound was there all along. 

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Dave, just for your info, I've got a TT-800 and an R-400 and have been trying to decide which will be my main gig amp. Given the price difference between the two, that's already a massive compliment to the HandBox and until recently I've been gigging it more often as I just love its simplicity and sounds. Then, while the R-400 was away for repair, I started understanding the full extent of what the Mesa can do and gradually improving how it sounds. Compared to the R-400, its two switchable channels, HPF, Deep switch, O/D Symmetry Control, 2ohm capability and extra wattage do bring a lot to the party - for me anyway. I should also declare that I've been a big Mesa fan for ages.

• Like 1