Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

1 minute ago, PJ-Bassist said:

The CTM-100 not satisfying your tubey needs?

Yes, or at least it will be when I get it back from the menders ☹️ but these are getting GAS igniting reviews and the svt is so heavy and and and, oh God you're right. 

I don't need any more gear. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Yep I read through them all. Wondering how the two heads compare, how much the HB will cost  chances of finding one second hand if new prices are too high, that kind of thing 

I paid about £650 for a R400, including all charges. It will depend on how the pound is doing. 

Don't go in thinking that it will be do what the SVT does! Ita a different beast. If you're anywhere near West Yorkshire, you are welcome to pop round and have a go with my R400. 

12 minutes ago, peteb said:

I paid about £650 for a R400, including all charges. It will depend on how the pound is doing. 

Don't go in thinking that it will be do what the SVT does! Ita a different beast. If you're anywhere near West Yorkshire, you are welcome to pop round and have a go with my R400. 

The WB-100, however...!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, peteb said:

That's really kind, thank you. 

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yes, or at least it will be when I get it back from the menders ☹️ but these are getting GAS igniting reviews and the svt is so heavy and and and, oh God you're right. 

I don't need any more gear. 

Neither did I, but I bought the WB100. Incredible thing, super lightweight for a valve amp, and sounds killer. Nah you’re right you don’t ‘need’ one 😉 

14 minutes ago, walshy said:

Neither did I, but I bought the WB100. Incredible thing, super lightweight for a valve amp, and sounds killer. Nah you’re right you don’t ‘need’ one 😉 

and I cannot afford one  Well without selling some stuff first... 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 23:54, peteb said:

I’m not sure that I really understand what you (and apparently Leszek) are getting at here. I don’t see how having controls for mids is a tonal sacrifice! The main selling point about the Handbox is its core sound (as well as it being a powerful amp in a compact package), whereas its drawback is a rather limited EQ section. I am getting to grips with it more, but am finding myself boosting the bass and cutting the treble more than I am used, which is not a problem in itself but something I don’t find intuitive after using a 5 band semi parametric EQ.

I am aware that there are bound to be compromises in such a compact amp and I am getting used to the EQ section and starting to get better results. Perhaps it should be noted the guys in the guitar based rock covers band love it, but less so with those in the tribute band complete with loads of keys – they seem to prefer the Mesa

I'm really curious about this amp. On the topic of reducing the mids by raising the bass and treble, does this create boom or notable bottom end bloom from the bass control and zing (or something like it) from the higher treble setting ? 

I guess I'm used to parametrics where one range can be adjusted without messing about with the rest

Thanks all 

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, walshy said:

I may have to sell my WB100 as I’ve bought something special! But I love it 😭

This is exciting news but I have to sell to buy and the market is soooo sloooooooow right now. 

I wonder what you have incoming to make you sell this and a CTM 🤔 

13 hours ago, walshy said:

I may have to sell my WB100 as I’ve bought something special! But I love it 😭

😧

48 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I wonder what you have incoming to make you sell this and a CTM 🤔 

Me too !

• 1 month later...

Bit the bullet and ordered an R400 after reading the reviews and watching wateroftyne's videos on YouTube. Shipping on Tuesday so looking forward to it getting here. Have to say Leszek's communication is excellent. Replied within 30 minutes on Facebook to my questions and had bought one shortly after that. Will post a pic when it arrives... Bizarrely I seem to have ended up with a near identical rig to @wateroftyne as well, although not intentionally... HB R400 into 2x TKS 112!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Erm, having bought and (foolishly) sold an R400 last year, I have a new one winging its way from Poland too 🤷‍♂️

You show off, I know exactly how you feel 😱

On 01/12/2019 at 17:36, essexbasscat said:

I'm really curious about this amp. On the topic of reducing the mids by raising the bass and treble, does this create boom or notable bottom end bloom from the bass control and zing (or something like it) from the higher treble setting ? 

I guess I'm used to parametrics where one range can be adjusted without messing about with the rest

Thanks all 

I very rarely do, but I would reduce the mids by using the contour knob. Everything is nicely controlled.

1 hour ago, drlargepants said:

C02AC12D-3839-435C-9796-1D94B363E963.thumb.jpeg.4136711f76296e2a554b20d65544afac.jpeg

Things of beauty.  Can someone explain what the feedback switch does though please ?

It's kind-of another voice to the amp, I think. Leszek sent me this when I asked him about it a while ago:

The feedback switch is useful when the amp is turned up louder. In the 'Rock' position you will get a big crunch - if you switch to 'Pop' or 'Funk', the crunch become smaller. This is for players who like a loud and clean sound.

• Thanks 1