Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

I am starting to seriously consider a R400. I’ve seen various clips and heard people who seem to know their stuff rave about them, so I am interested.

I recently bought a Mesa D800, which sounds great for a Class D amp but has two issues – it struggles for volume a bit on certain stages (despite being rated @ 800w) and I find it sometimes difficult to tweak the EQ in difficult rooms. It’s ridiculously light, but as long as it’s a one hand lift, I’m not too bothered about that.

The two things I wonder about the Handbox is: 1) is it loud enough to have the headroom needed when onstage with a reasonably loud rock band, and 2) how usable is the three knob EQ (especially when you are trying to cut through with a distorted guitar and lots of keys)??

1. Yes

2. YMMV, but in my experience it’s incredibly clear in the mix by default because the mids shine. Any EQing I do is subtle just to tweak it to the room, if at all. If you’re an EQ junkie, you might need something more... or think you do, anyway.

Edited by wateroftyne

@peteb a mate of mine in Harrogate has one.  He is a member on here but I can't remember his basschat handle.  I'm sure he'd be willing to let you hear his.  (I hope I'm remembering correctly that you're in Yorkshire).  Let me know if interested and I'll put you in touch.

13 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

1. Yes

2. YMMV, but in my experience it’s incredibly clear in the mix by default because the mids shine. Any EQing I do is subtle just to tweak it to the room, if at all. If you’re an EQ junkie, it might blow your mind a bit...

Not exactly an EQ junkie, but it is a bit of a concern

4 minutes ago, Kirky said:

@peteb a mate of mine in Harrogate has one.  He is a member on here but I can't remember his basschat handle.  I'm sure he'd be willing to let you hear his.  (I hope I'm remembering correctly that you're in Yorkshire).  Let me know if interested and I'll put you in touch.

@Kirky Cheers, that would definitely be very helpful (I'm in North Bradford). 

Thanks a lot...

I play in a heavy Drop C band with 2 loud guitarists and hard hitting drummer ..... Volumes no problem at all with the R-400 ( no struggles), obviously cabs can play a part ( I use a 6x10)

As been said in this thread....I was initially concerned about the apparent lack of eq before I got one, it's very good and versitile .mixing it up with the drive or clean ,contour bright button gives it plenty of very usable different sounds.

It just cuts through wonderfully.still amazed by it

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

Well. I finally gigged the R400 through the Barefaced 610 yesterday in a smallish pub playing some rock type covers. This thing is mighty! What a sound, loud, clear and punch and cut through beautifully. What a tone too. I used the DB751 for a festival the day before which was magnificent but this little thing was as good yesterday. Well happy 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, walshy said:

Well. I finally gigged the R400 through the Barefaced 610 yesterday in a smallish pub playing some rock type covers. This thing is mighty! What a sound, loud, clear and punch and cut through beautifully. What a tone too. I used the DB751 for a festival the day before which was magnificent but this little thing was as good yesterday. Well happy 😁

great stuff!

It's great to see word is finally getting out about these. It's about time... my throat is close to hoarse 🙂

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently acquired the HB. I run it through my Millennia Origin via its DI. This is to accommodate a self powered Wayne Jones cab that I have, with input level requirements that demand a line level balanced signal for best results. Right now I also have it plugged in to a passive cab via its main  but with the Master down, as I don't know if this amp is safe to run in a no load condition. Does anyone know?

Edited by Mothra22

1 minute ago, Mothra22 said:

I have recently acquired the HB. Run it through my Millennia Origin via its DI. This is to accommodate a self powered Wayne Jones cab that I have. Right now I also have it plugged in to a passive cab via its main  but with the Master down, as I don't know if this amp is safe to run in a no load condition with the master down. Does anyone know?

R-400 or WB-100?

On 19/07/2019 at 18:30, wateroftyne said:

No cab required 🙂

Excellent news, thanks ... this Amp is simply STUNNING! I have never heard such complex lower and mid-mids with such weight without things getting too heavy and adversely effecting the upper mids and highs. I just run everything straight up and get lost in the sound. Want more throaty Mid sounds ... back off the Contour control**. And the Bright switch... just the right kind of annoying alone that in a dense mix dulls down to be just perfect.

I have ALL kinds of Pre control in my Millennia, and the Hand Box 400 just cuts to the chase and eliminates the need. I run the Millennia flat, fed by the HB-400 DI (post) right now, and that feeds a class-D self-powered cab. Cool to change the Mil input path structure for additional tubes or pure solid state or a mix of the two ...but thats it. NO additional EQ. Wow!

I have to say, running the R-400 direct into a passive cab, and then running the HB DI thru the Millennia and into the same cab via a high-end 1200 watt class-D amp, the R-400 by itself with its class A/B power section wins for me by a wide margin for a given volume, at least against this particular 1200 watt amp (although the 1200 can ultimately get louder of course). More tone, beef, and weighty aggression. My Marcus never sounded so good. Don't mean to bring up the age old class D vs class A/B again, but there you have it IMO.

A really, really special piece.

**Favorite Setting: Bass and Treble at noon, Bright switch 'ON', Contour in just a bit, nudged up to around 7

*** New Favorite setting (thru my Berg 210 Ref anyway) Bright Switch 'On', Contour 'Off', Bass Control  1 O'Clock. Treble Flat (+1 Live)

Edited by Mothra22
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, wayne58 said:

These amps really shine with passive basses, plug in an old P and you're in heaven.

36 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Amen to that. The perfect match*.

*They sound awesome with rounds too, mind.

I use an active jazz - so no good for me then??

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Ha ha..

Never tried one, but if I was a betting man I'd put a big pile of money on 'Awesome'.

Actually, I've just bought one...! 

I've just done the one gig with it so far. It's a great sounding amp, but I just need to get to grips with the eq!

18 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I'm considering an R-400 as well. I had a look on the website but couldn't see a price. How much are these now in GBP?

It's not the most well-laid out site....  Best to email him and can then let you know the price inc postage.  It'll have to be paid in Polish zloty so I'd suggest using Transferwise if you went ahead with it.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I'm considering an R-400 as well. I had a look on the website but couldn't see a price. How much are these now in GBP?

Last I heard, the UK price of the R-400 was £560 (and the WB-100 was £800) but that might have changed since. As mentioned above, drop Leszek an email at [email protected]. Or if you do Facebook, look for Leszek Brzozowski - I find him quicker to respond on there.

• Thanks 1