Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461260740' post='3033084']
Would someone hazard a guess at what 1/4 the weight of an all-tube equivalent actually is?
[/quote]

A proper all-tube is around 35kg, so I'm guessing around 9kg. Which would be very light for a valve amp.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461260871' post='3033089']
A proper all-tube is around 35kg, so I'm guessing around 9kg. Which would be very light for a valve amp.
[/quote]

If that's the case, you can put me down for one right now. That would be only 1kg heavier than my Tech Soundsystems Black Cat which has a P2P wired tube pre-amp and 2 x 500 W class D power amps, in a similar 2U case.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461261064' post='3033094']
If that's the case, you can put me down for one right now.
[/quote]

Me too, but I'll believe it when I pick it up! Having looked at some of the above pics and the transformer therein, I'm reminded of an Ashdown ABM 500 and they are around 12-14kg if I remember rightly.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1461775668' post='3037581']
Now that is some nice neat constuction and a lovely big toroidal xformer. Impressive.
[/quote]

I know nowt about electrrical engineering so I'll have to take your word for it :). According to Leszek, each one is hand-made...

'Mine' is with another BCer at the moment who is giving it a run out - I've got a couple of gigs next weekend, and I'm looking forward to giving it another run out.

I've got my order placed...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1462437816' post='3042953']
Very nicely made....
[/quote]
Isn't it? Hand-built, too.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462364191' post='3042373']
How are the overdriven sounds out of this thing?
[/quote]
I'll do some sound clips when I get a chance, but when it comes to overdrive, I'm probably not a great judge of what is and isn't good...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1462488438' post='3043573']
Looks like the pots & jack sockets are mounted directly to the circuit boards, which isn't ideal from a durability/repair perspective.
Still, the vast majority of amps are made like that these days.
[/quote]

I agree that when there mounted direct they are probably less durable. But from a repair perspective they aren't too much bother unless the board is a nightmare too remove.
I was just thinking the other day why don't they just mount them more traditionally can't be too much trouble surely.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462364191' post='3042373']
How are the overdriven sounds out of this thing?
[/quote]

I've just done a little recording of the overdriven sounds. There's three stages to this clip: crunch, dirty and everything maxxed out. :-)

https://soundcloud.com/wateroftyne/handbox-r-400-amp-demo-crunch-tone-dirty-tone-very-dirty-tone?in=wateroftyne/sets/handbox-r-400-maruszczyk-jake-demo

No effects, EQ or compression whatsoever - straight into Adobe Audition.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what constitutes a good overdriven tone. If these are terrible, it's probably my fault, rather than the amp's...!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1463417660' post='3051203']
DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what constitutes a good overdriven tone. If these are terrible, it's probably my fault, rather than the amp's...!
[/quote]

I think it's somewhere between the first and second examples

Enjoying this thread - very interesting!
So, if you don't mind me asking, what options did you go for with your confirmed order - colours, knobs, case etc? Final price including shipping? What's the lead time from order to delivery?
I've also just seen the M Bass 500 Mini Head on their site, which also looks very nice. Not sure if it's shipping yet, but looks like they're taking orders.
GAS!!! :D

P.S. Loving the DI clip posted above - good singer too!

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1463484316' post='3051671']
I've also just seen the M Bass 500 Mini Head on their site, which also looks very nice. Not sure if it's shipping yet, but looks like they're taking orders.
[/quote]

I quite like the look of that too, however I think I'd prefer that front end with the back end of WoT's head ;)

Eude

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1463484316' post='3051671']
Enjoying this thread - very interesting!
So, if you don't mind me asking, what options did you go for with your confirmed order - colours, knobs, case etc? Final price including shipping? What's the lead time from order to delivery?

P.S. Loving the DI clip posted above - good singer too!
[/quote]

I've gone for a white 'frame' (instead of orange), and the full 'HandBox' logo (rather than 'HB)'. The finish may change - possibly tolex to match my cabs, but I need to confirm it with Leszek, as apparently it's quite a job to do it. Failing that, I like the finish of the current head... it's cool and unique.